New RB Coach wants and news

auburnphan

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Add Clay Helton be the HC and we got something cooking. 

It’s the Auburn way

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I think he could also do well in recruiting considering he is younger and can relate the way T-Will can. 

That's a big assumption. What specifically about Caddy will make players bond with him the way that they do TWill? 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's a big assumption. What specifically about Caddy will make players bond with him the way that they do TWill? 

Well it was an assumption.  He has experience coaching high school kids at IMG.  So he has dealt with D1 talent in his short career in learning what they need to take that next step in their path to the NFL (T-Will did it as an assistant at Auburn for years, so slightly different path).  He was an elite running back in the SEC so he knows exactly what it takes to succeed in this conference (same as T-Will).  He is younger so he can relate in ways that older coaches can't (same as T-Will).  He can go out there and run with the guys doing drills, he can be active with his guys, thus walking the walk (T-Will does the same).  This could be a good thing for Auburn.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Caddy got the job. Not sure he is ready. He isn't a T-Will in the livingroom. 

Oh goody. JABA

58 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Be careful what you wish for.  If USC tanks this season he may be available and we all know Gus is on thin ice.  All it takes is another 7-5 with losses to our rivals to open that can of worms.  

I gotta believe coaches are either scared to come due to Gus’s precarious position or because they don’t want to coach the Gus Malzahn way.  Auburn should be able to get top assistants from around the country.

22 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I like it.  You partner his experience as a player to NFL, along with put him in a room with everyone’s favorite Recruiter in Porter and you could have a deadly/high profile pitch!  

I bet it pays off!  

This is the real point here. We already have Porter on staff, why not take a chance on Caddy? Huge upside, no downside. Our RB recruiting HAS to get better, which it should now, and the RB coaching for Gus's system can't be that hard.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

This tells us more about Gus than anything.  He has a bad reputation in the coaching circles to work under offensively.  Coaches love to have influence and learn more to further their careers.  Gus gives you neither.  All he gives you is Auburn on the resume.

How did he manage to hire Porter?

33 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Last 3 offensive hires Grimes, Dilly and now Caddy.   This seems to show a trend of what Gus can get.

I think Gus just likes giving guys chances where others recycle the same coaches over and over. Time will tell if it was a good move. I like the hire...As for Caddy he is young enough to relate with enough on field experience to coach, fundamentals and toughness. He will just have to grow as a recruiter, like all coaches had to at once. 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

well can't say i love or hate this hire. But if Kodi Burns can be a WR coach then Caddy sure as heck should be able to be a solid RB coach. He is a super great guy from what i have heard. And i imagine connecting with players and having instant clout in recruiting will not be a problem. 

All things considered....i can get on board with hiring Cadillac

His Mom says the same. Cadillac’s Mom that is.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

How did he manage to hire Porter?

$100,000 + raise and $50,000 retention bonus a year.   Auburn brand, back to SEC.  UNC was under investigation at that point as well.    Besides Grimes I do not mind the other hires, they can be great, hopefully are.  

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I think Gus just likes giving guys chances where others recycle the same coaches over and over. Time will tell if it was a good move. I like the hire...As for Caddy he is young enough to relate with enough on field experience to coach, fundamentals and toughness. He will just have to grow as a recruiter, like all coaches had to at once. 

JB Grimes says hi

The first time I saw him carry the ball at Auburn, I fell in love with his effort and determination....if he can get our backs to run near that level, we'll be good...met him at the NC game in Arizona...very impressive....don't know what type of coach he'll be, but he'll be a great role model for the team and the university....welcome home Caddy!!!!!

Would have been nice to see some more experience. I figured he got the job with the B'ham team because of his name  and not because of his coaching.....wondering if that is the case here too.   

Is this hire about coaching or marketing ?   Guess we will find out in year or two. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'll listen to your opinions on the matter, given that you said that JB Grimes was a bad (re-)hire while everyone else, myself included, mocked you for it. Hopefully he's ready.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Would have been nice to see some more experience. I figured he got the job with the B'ham team because of his name  and not because of his coaching.....wondering if that is the case here too.   

Is this hire about coaching or marketing ?   Guess we will find out in year or two. 

or we may never know.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I'll listen to your opinions on the matter, given that you said that JB Grimes was a bad hire while everyone else, myself included, mocked you for it. Hopefully he's ready.

My sarcasm meter detects WDE was joking.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

My sarcasm meter detects WDE was joking.

Oh I know he was joking about Clay Helton. I'm talking about his reaction to the hire of Cadillac.

I had a geology class with Cadillac and Brandon Cox, and Cadillac was as nice and humble of a guy as you'll ever meet. There I was, a random student, and the best RB in the conference wasn't too good to talk to me.

Some younger folks may not realize just how down in the dumps Auburn was after Bowden left. We were hurting bad. When Caddy came to AU it was a like a new energy hit campus. I'm sure he has a learning curve as far as recruiting sales pitch, but he has good support around him. I'm really excited to have him back.

One other thing, Cadillac signed a $30+ million dollar contract when he was drafted, so he's most likely not broke and needing work. Also, he went back and finished his degree after a decade of NFL football. That being said, its obvious his heart and mind are in the right place.

He will be all right if just speaks to the recruits from his heart,  and the upgrade from Horton is off the scale. 

I would be shocked if Caddy is not a huge upgrade over Horton as a recruiter. The vast majority of High School kids will relate to Caddy and be impressed by his personal success as a RB. He has a great personality too. Hopefully he will help us to close strong on landing a great back in this class. Kids that don't know of Caddy only need to Youtube his highlights and see he knew how to play the game at a very high level. 

I wish him well, loved him as a player, hope to love his work as a coach. 

Archived