Men vs. Kentucky game thread

WarTiger

21 hours ago, AURex said:

Okay, get off CBP. You gotta accept the fact that as good as Auburn is, Auburn is undersized and lives and dies by the 3. This is not on CBP. He works with what he's got.

Tonight, the average size of UK vs Auburn was 4 inches, and that was not slow funky big guys but all-american one-and-done guys. With Wiley out, all the other inside players were fouling like crazy trying to deal with the UK interior. I'm majorly impressed that Auburn could even keep it within 2.

I love my Tigers, But AU does not yet had the kind of size combined with athleticism to win games against the likes of the top teams -- Duke, UK, Kansas, UNC, UVA, Gonzaga .....

I'm hoping AU can push into the sweet 16 come NCAA tournament time. And personally, I am convinced CBP definitely gets the maximum results from the guys on the Auburn team.

But the reality is, even if Calipari or Krzyzewski  or Self or Boheim were coaching the current Auburn team, Auburn is undersized and CBP has them playing really well for their size and team capability.

If you want to call me a Bruce Pearel sunshine pumper, go right ahead. Even with this loss, I'm on the Bruce Bus!

I like Bruce.  A lot.  But IMO, his being a "players coach" should not extend to allowing players to routinely take contested 3's early in possessions.  Our shot selection is terrible.

Bruce was complaining the other night that we aren't scoring enough 2-point baskets.  Well, that's because we aren't taking enough 2-point shots.

Horace Spencer should not be shooting 3's at all.  He's currently hitting 8.3% of his 3-point shots.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I like Bruce.  A lot.  But IMO, his being a "players coach" should not extend to allowing players to routinely take contested 3's early in possessions.  Our shot selection is terrible.

Bruce was complaining the other night that we aren't scoring enough 2-point baskets.  Well, that's because we aren't taking enough 2-point shots.

Horace Spencer should not be shooting 3's at all.  He's currently hitting 8.3% of his 3-point shots.

our three big guys are something like 11 of 53 from the 3 point line....that's almost 40 equivalent turnovers per game JMO.   

Edited to make correction...

23 hours ago, AURex said:

Okay, a question. If Wiley had been at full strength, no problems, his total mr wonderful, -- Would the outcome have been any different?

I think so

These comments about the inadequacy of CBP's recruiting just don't work for me. Yes, you want size. But the truth is, you want size combined with athleticism and skill. There just ain't a truckload of those guys out there and everybody goes after them. The Blue Bloods win.  If CBP can keep Auburn on the winning track, he may be able to lure more of them. But until Auburn establishes that track record, he's got to find other ways to win. Speed, athleticism, defense, grit ......

10 hours ago, AURex said:

These comments about the inadequacy of CBP's recruiting just don't work for me. Yes, you want size. But the truth is, you want size combined with athleticism and skill. There just ain't a truckload of those guys out there and everybody goes after them. The Blue Bloods win.  If CBP can keep Auburn on the winning track, he may be able to lure more of them. But until Auburn establishes that track record, he's got to find other ways to win. Speed, athleticism, defense, grit ......

If you can find small guys that's athletic you can find big guys. There's sleepers every single year, it's just like you said though it's a difference between us and the top programs so he has to be more diligent with recruiting. It probably takes more man hours and such. Look at Dunbar he could've been recruited out of high school. But also look at A Mac we took a chance with him and it paid off. Actually look at Ja Morant, he's a top 3 pick but nobody really recruited him hard even though he pretty much averaged a triple double in high school. The guy who did recruit him came to see somebody else and saw Morant playing a pick up game. We have to get out here. We under recruit the ENTIRE North West part of our own state. That's not going to get it. 

I hope the team is ready to bounce back tonight against an apparently really tough USCe team. This Kentucky loss hit me pretty hard. Keep waiting for the team to take that next step and i'm starting to question if they have it in them. We have back to back road games at USCe and State........starting SEC play 2-4 puts us in a bad hole

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

If you can find small guys that's athletic you can find big guys. There's sleepers every single year, it's just like you said though it's a difference between us and the top programs so he has to be more diligent with recruiting. It probably takes more man hours and such. Look at Dunbar he could've been recruited out of high school. But also look at A Mac we took a chance with him and it paid off. Actually look at Ja Morant, he's a top 3 pick but nobody really recruited him hard even though he pretty much averaged a triple double in high school. The guy who did recruit him came to see somebody else and saw Morant playing a pick up game. We have to get out here. We under recruit the ENTIRE North West part of our own state. That's not going to get it. 

Tennessee is ranked #1 at the moment with a bunch of players that are mostly 3* kids.   Checked back to see what their team looked like and was surprised that Barnes only had a couple 4* guys on the squad and that the primary players were 3*.   Someone made some good decisions bringing them to UT and the staff did a good job with them.    

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Tennessee is ranked #1 at the moment with a bunch of players that are mostly 3* kids.   Checked back to see what their team looked like and was surprised that Barnes only had a couple 4* guys on the squad and that the primary players were 3*.   Someone made some good decisions bringing them to UT and the staff did a good job with them.    

AU & UT were neck 'n neck last year - AU needs to step up their game and there's no better time to do it than the upcoming USC/State games.  :cool:

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Right that's my point. Seems like he did his homework. Hell he even recruits the area in Alabama that we don't seem to pay attention too. Sometimes a guy may not look like a star but if he has freak athletic ability roll the dice. That's what they have done with the one guard they have that's a 6'6" physical marvel.....not the best offensively but going to be all over his match up defensively. And I'll go even further to say if people of their fan base are super critical of the guy because he's not good on offense they're slow. 

Rick Barnes is a very good coach. He just seems to move around a lot. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Rick Barnes is a very good coach. He just seems to move around a lot. 

He was at Texas 17 years until they pushed him out......has almost 700 Div 1 wins over about 30 years.     As I noted, when Texas dumped him I figured he would not be a factor again and did not expect much when he was hired at UT......    BIG surprise to me. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

He was at Texas 17 years until they pushed him out......has almost 700 Div 1 wins over about 30 years.     As I noted, when Texas dumped him I figured he would not be a factor again and did not expect much when he was hired at UT......    BIG surprise to me. 

He was at Clemson and a few others as well. In general he’s moved around. 

Archived