Texas v. Texas A&M open to renewing rivalry

Randman5000

Just now, Randman5000 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25802842/presidents-texas-longhorns-texas-aggies-support-renewing-rivalry

The university presidents for both Texas and Texas A&M told the Austin American-Statesman on Friday that they're "supportive" of renewing the rivalry between the two football teams.

The Aggies and Longhorns haven't played each other since 2011, when Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC.

"It's a storied rivalry," Texas president Greg Fenves said during the interview with the Statesman. "We've told our ADs to figure out a plan and bring it to us."

Yet while both voiced support, they pointed out obstacles in bringing the game back.

"You have to get the weekend that coincides and works together," said Texas A&M president Michael Young. "It is complicated. Our schedules don't match very well. They have nonconference games in the beginning; we have ours interspersed more throughout the season. All of this makes it very hard to schedule."

Neither president offered a timetable for bringing the rivalry back, either.

"There are some real practical and contractual issues with scheduling nonconference games," Fenves said. "The SEC is different from the Big 12. We have nonconference games scheduled 10 years out."

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I guess the Aggies don't want to drop North Texas, Abilene Christian, UTSA, Lamar, Kent St. Any time soon. So this probably won't happen until 2022 2023 or 2024 at the earliest. Imo

16 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I guess the Aggies don't want to drop North Texas, Abilene Christian, UTSA, Lamar, Kent St. Any time soon. So this probably won't happen until 2022 2023 or 2024 at the earliest. Imo

The Aggies shouldn’t do it, in my opinion. Like us, they already play in the SEC West, and they are doing a home and home with Clemson right now. 

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The Aggies shouldn’t do it, in my opinion. Like us, they already play in the SEC West, and they are doing a home and home with Clemson right now. 

Yeah, I'm sure this would be their only big out of conference game going forward is my guess.

Is Texas sure they want to do this? A&M has toughened up since moving to SEC.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived