Grad Transfer HB Jay Jay Wilson Commits to AU!

Maverick.AU

H-Back graduate transfer Jay Jay Wilson commits to Auburn

By Brandon Marcello

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn's next H-Back is not on campus.

But he will be after committing Sunday to the Tigers.

Arizona State graduate transfer Jay Jay Wilson committed to the Tigers during a visit to Auburn over the weekend and is expected to compete immediately and likely start at H-Back next season, Auburn Undercover has learned.

The former Arizona State tight end and linebacker visited Auburn over the weekend and is eligible immediately to play in the fall. He will arrive on Auburn's campus in the summer to battle redshirt freshman Harold Joiner for the starting job at H-Back, which the Tigers figure to utilize more in the passing game next season.

Joiner will likely step in immediately as Chandler Cox’s replacement as the starting H-Back, where the Tigers leaned on Cox for the last four seasons, sources close to the program tell Auburn Undercover. Wilson caught 165 passes for 2,538 yards and 19 touchdowns during his high school career while also playing defense. He also ran for 714 yards and 18 touchdowns to compile 3,286 all-purpose yards at Valencia High in California.

Wilson’s four-year career at Arizona State was spent bouncing back and forth between offense and defense, where he changed positions four times under four different offensive coordinators and three defensive coordinators.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound athlete started his career at tight end for the Sun Devils, but moved to linebacker on Sept. 23, 2017 against Oregon. He returned an interception for a touchdown in his first start at linebacker against Utah and finished his junior season with a career-high 47 tackles in 2017.

He played in only four games in 2018 after a coaching change, a one-game suspension and a foot injury — allowing him to take advantage of the NCAA’s new redshirt rule. He will have one year to play one season at Auburn.

Wilson has kept his recruitment quiet since his departure from the Sun Devils, but he is not expected to visit other schools after committing to the Tigers. Wilson is not on social media.

Wilson is expected to be equal parts blocker and pass catcher in Auburn's offense.

He caught five passes for 97 yards and three touchdowns in his limited time at tight end at Arizona State. He finished his career in the Pac-12 with 63 tackles, including two sacks, to go along with one pass deflection and a forced fumble.

Wilson was rated a 4-star athlete out of Valencia High during the 2015 recruiting cycle. He signed with the Sun Devils over Colorado and Utah, among others. He was rated the nation’s 10th-best athlete by 247Sports at the time.

Wilson is the 18th commitment for the 2019 recruiting class at Auburn, and one of only two to not yet sign a National Letter of Intent. Receiver George Pickens remains committed to Auburn heading into National Signing Day on Feb. 6. Nine players in the 2019 class have enrolled in classes and are on campus today.

Auburn's recruiting class ranks 12th nationally. Wilson is the only graduate transfer in the Tigers' class and is not factored into the national ranking.

Edited by ellitor
Cleaned up article & added old recruiting profile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

biggest commit we've gotten this year

instant starter, charles clay game changer type!!!

You being sarcastic? Or serious I can't tell

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

Got to be sarcasm. Nothing in his college career indicates he will be a game changer. 

Great athlete, people with knowledge seem to think this is big.

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

You being sarcastic? Or serious I can't tell

Three exclamation marks swing the pendulum to sarcasm in my head. 

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Serious! Kid is a talented athlete.

Yeah in HS he looked good and I bet he can be useful with us but I wouldn't put too much hope in this from a playmaking standpoint. He'll probably get a pass here and there

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah in HS he looked good and I bet he can be useful with us but I wouldn't put too much hope in this from a playmaking standpoint. He'll probably get a pass here and there

HBs aren't play makers from stuffing the stat sheet most of the time so I wouldn't even look for that. What we need most is someone to block for our RBs.

• Like 3

• ellitor featured and pinned this topic
15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

HBs aren't play makers from stuffing the stat sheet most of the time so I wouldn't even look for that. What we need most is someone to block for our RBs.

As good as Jay Prosch?

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We're on the same page. I was really going back to that Charles Clay comment. He's not anything like Clay. 

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

As good as Jay Prosch?

No clue. I don't watch Pretty Average to Crappy 12 Football

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If he can learn the system and adjust to playing H-back, he'll be an asset.  As far as "biggest commit this year", no. Whatever was meant by that comment, we have signed several larger and several bigger.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I like the get.  

Someone remind me,  grad transfers do not change team recruit rankings right?    

Correct

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If he can learn the system and adjust to playing H-back, he'll be an asset.  As far as "biggest commit this year", no. Whatever was meant by that comment, we have signed several larger and several bigger.

I dunno, not sure who has committed “this year” as DTR said. I could be missing some obvious answer here,  but how many commits have we had in the last 20 days? 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I dunno, not sure who has committed “this year” as DTR said. I could be missing some obvious answer here,  but how many commits have we had in the last 20 days? 

Maybe 'this year' was the joke I couldn't see. Most would tend to think of recruiting years in annual classes, but if he meant 2019, then yes, he got me. :)

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Maybe 'this year' was the joke I couldn't see. Most would tend to think of recruiting years in annual classes, but if he meant 2019, then yes, he got me. :)

I have no idea but it’s a pretty good little caveat there. If DTR doesn’t want to claim it, I will. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I like the get.  

Someone remind me,  grad transfers do not change team recruit rankings right?    

No. Recruiting sites don’t evaluate transfers, or I should say reevaluate them. They do still count against the yearly new player limit though.

• Like 1

Ellitor,

What do you think this means for Joyner?  He and Wilson could be competing with each other for the HB position or could it possibly mean that we are going to seriously look at Joyner at the RB position.  Your thoughts?