Saban may be beginning to tire

AUght2win

On 2/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, doc4aday said:

but 2022 seems like a good year for great things to start happening for Auburn football in that we will start a long and prosperous climb to the top of the football world and will have a long run similar to bammer.

We're replacing Gus that soon ????  Outstanding !

On 1/21/2019 at 4:24 PM, AUght2win said:

Well I think lack of good assistants was the reason for 44-16. I think Saban knows that too. Yet he isn't making much of an effort to improve his staff. Strikes me as a guy that isn't as obsessed anymore.

Read an article by finebaum dont know if is correct or not.  He said that because smart beat him in recruiting in 2018 saben started hiring coaches that could recruit but were not very good on field coaches and that is why dabo beat him this year.  If he made that mistake last year I dont think he will make the same mistake this year.

So I would not count on bama being down and out.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:55 PM, AUght2win said:

I disagree. The staffs recruit and they develop. We have had so many highlt touted players in the Malzahn era that, with the right coaching, could have been so much better. Kris Frost, Tre Williams, Trovon Reed, Ricardo Louis, Gabe Wright, Peyton Barber, to name a few.

Then there are guys we whiffed on, that I am not convinced are just busts. Roc Thomas, Kyle Davis, Stanton Truitt, Jeremy Johnson, Kiehl Frazier, Cowart, etc. I think some of these guys were straight up busts. But I bet some were just guys our staff couldn't get through to and help them realize their potential.

That just goes to show that when coaches concentrate solely on a staff that only recruits without being good on the field coaches this is what you get.  Too many auburn fans say can he recruit.  I say can he coach and recruit.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:20 AM, AUght2win said:

he settled for a familiar face with a mediocre resume.

Kinda sounds like Gus,  honestly

• 2 weeks later...

Saban has some personal goal in his head.

I truly believe Saban thought he would win the NC at Bama in the 2013 season (his 4th at Bama and 5th overall), then go to Texas and win two or three more, making Saban the greatest coach in college football history, and the only coach to win NCs at at least three schools.

Once the plan for him to go to Texas fell apart, and it was clear he would serve out his college coaching career at Bama, Saban created some new goal to achieve at Bama.

Saban has 6 NCs. He has tied Bryant's 6 NCs. Saban's next NC will beat Bryant overall and tie Bryant's Alabama record. In theory he then becomes the greatest coach in college football history. But he will only be equal to the Bear. How can you be the greatest overall if you are merely tied for the lead at one place. However, if Saban wins two more NCs he will beat Bryant's Alabama record and be not only the greatest college football coach overall, but also the greatest ever at Alabama.

So my gut says that is Saban's goal. Two more NCs, then ride off into the sunset.

Something to think about. With the retirement of Bill Snyder, Saban is the oldest football coach in the Power5. While he may want to work forever, his age will become a drain in a few years, just like it did for Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Bill Snyder.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:03 PM, meh130 said:

Saban has some personal goal in his head.

I truly believe Saban thought he would win the NC at Bama in the 2013 season (his 4th at Bama and 5th overall), then go to Texas and win two or three more, making Saban the greatest coach in college football history, and the only coach to win NCs at at least three schools.

Once the plan for him to go to Texas fell apart, and it was clear he would serve out his college coaching career at Bama, Saban created some new goal to achieve at Bama.

Saban has 6 NCs. He has tied Bryant's 6 NCs. Saban's next NC will beat Bryant overall and tie Bryant's Alabama record. In theory he then becomes the greatest coach in college football history. But he will only be equal to the Bear. How can you be the greatest overall if you are merely tied for the lead at one place. However, if Saban wins two more NCs he will beat Bryant's Alabama record and be not only the greatest college football coach overall, but also the greatest ever at Alabama.

So my gut says that is Saban's goal. Two more NCs, then ride off into the sunset.

Something to think about. With the retirement of Bill Snyder, Saban is the oldest football coach in the Power5. While he may want to work forever, his age will become a drain in a few years, just like it did for Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Bill Snyder.

One coach that you forgot is Mac Brown.  He is 67 and a few months older than old Nick

On 1/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, AUght2win said:

This isn't exactly true though. You may be quoting total yards. They were 9th and 15th in scoring offense, which is the only stat that matters.

Irregardless of Defensive Stats? Not a big picture observation.

• WarTiger changed the title to Saban may be beginning to tire

Archived