2020 4* Buck Phillip Webb

ellitor

Elite LB Phillip Webb down to five, communication was key

p3zxcqhbtcttdpxyxw9n

Rivals100 linebacker Phillip Webb has not rushed through the recruiting process. The four-star out of Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier had hoped to be committed before his senior year, but once he realized that was only a fantasy, he pumped the breaks, slowed things down, and has gone at his own pace since.

He is getting closer though.

The coveted linebacker has now cut his list down to five schools and the end is in sight.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU and Oklahoma are Webb's finalists.

"I have been patient with the recruiting process, and it took some time to get to this point, but I feel good about the five schools and I see myself ending up at one of them," said Webb.

The main reason I ended up with those five on the list is the communication. Each of the schools has really recruited me hard, each has made me feel like a priority and they have shown me I am an important recruit."

Official visits to LSU and Oklahoma have been taken. He took the official visit to Baton Rouge in June, then returned to LSU when they played Florida earlier this month. The lone trip to Norman took place in September.

He does not plan to visit anywhere this weekend, but he plans to be in Tuscaloosa November 9 for the LSU game, at Auburn November 16 for the Georgia game and then at Florida November 30 for an in-state battle against Florida State.

One school is looking to separate itself from the pack in the coming weeks.

"I have not been close to committing yet," said Webb. "Once I knew I was not going to be ready over the summer, I just have not thought about it much yet. I know when I know, I will know and that is when I will commit.

"There is no order right now. I have five great opportunities and these upcoming visits are very important for me.

"I see all five [schools] in a similar way because I have been looking at each for a reason. Outside of how they have recruited me, the feel I have at each school, the scheme they run and how I fit in helped me get down to these five schools."

Webb plans to sign in December, even though he is not an early enrollee, so he knows a decision is looming.

"It is coming soon," said Webb. "I think I could be committed by the end of November, but definitely before the Early Signing Period.

"I am getting there. It has been tough to get down to five schools and I see it being tough to pick one school when that time comes too, but I am going to figure it out.

"Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU and Oklahoma have all shown me something I really like, all have recruited me well and all have given me a great vibe, so I will go off my gut when I make my decision.

"I want to finish out the visits, then see what my gut is telling me. I know it will not be easy."

When Webb was asked to give a reason why each school made the cut, here is what he said:

ALABAMA: "The winning tradition."

AUBURN: "The family feel there."

FLORIDA: "The staff and the direction they are headed."

LSU: "The coaches and the feel there."

OKLAHOMA: "Communication and how they have recruited me."

Webb's upcoming visits to Alabama, Auburn and Florida in November are all unofficial visits as of now, but that could change. He is looking to take official visits to all three before his decision.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a good young man who is being responsible with his future . Hope that future is on the plains where eagles soar and paps blue ribbon flows like the rivers of Babylon  

On 11/4/2019 at 10:19 AM, GwillMac6 said:

OOh, ooh, ooh, pick hat number two! 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

OOh, ooh, ooh, pick hat number two! 

Hat number 1 will probably have keys to a car and keys to a safety deposit box under it. 

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Webb Britt and Pappoe would be deadly

As long as Britt isn't chasing WRs or quick TEs over the middle. Also Webb isn't recruited as an LB like the other 2 are playing.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* Buck Phillip Webb
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As long as Britt isn't chasing WRs or quick TEs over the middle. Also Webb isn't recruited as an LB like the other 2 are playing.

True on both accounts. Hopefully Britt can improve in coverage or we can scheme to make that not an issue lol.

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

True on both accounts. Hopefully Britt can improve in coverage or we can scheme to make that not an issue lol.

I don’t think he can improve in coverage. He’s a 2 down LB not a 3 down LB. Nothing wrong with that 

I'm concerned about UGA and UAT going after Britt if he's in coverage. But he's the best LB we've had in a while against the run.  Have to trust CKS who is aware of all of this and is a lot smarter than most Offensive Coordinators.

8 hours ago, autan said:

I'm concerned about UGA and UAT going after Britt if he's in coverage. But he's the best LB we've had in a while against the run.  Have to trust CKS who is aware of all of this and is a lot smarter than most Offensive Coordinators.

Agree, might have to deploy the 4-1-7 (or whatever it was we showed LSU) again

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t think he can improve in coverage. He’s a 2 down LB not a 3 down LB. Nothing wrong with that 

Pappoe is our best 3 down LB. He has the speed to cover. Just needs experience. Having a great season though for a TFr.

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Pappoe is our best 3 down LB. He has the speed to cover. Just needs experience. Having a great season though for a TFr.

Yeah he’s a beast. McClain is good too

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think McClain is. Both have been impressive. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think McClain is. Both have been impressive. 

McClain has been very good. I just think Pappoe is the most physically gifted. I have seen Pap in bad run fits more than Z though. I think that is just lack of experience. I like both. Excited to see what Steiner will bring. 

15 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

McClain has been very good. I just think Pappoe is the most physically gifted. I have seen Pap in bad run fits more than Z though. I think that is just lack of experience. I like both. Excited to see what Steiner will bring. 

It's the one position on the team I'm not concerned with for next year.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's the one position on the team I'm not concerned with for next year.

I'm pretty confident in our Long Snapping.

20 hours ago, aublaise said:

Agree, might have to deploy the 4-1-7 (or whatever it was we showed LSU) again

if they score on us running a 4-1-7, we have serious issues 😏

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Has Webb said when he'll make his commitment?

For half the cycle now it seems like...

tumblr_o4k67j7H1K1spossoo10_500.gifv

34 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Why is this guy wearing a Texas shirt in that picture with the hats?

@TigerTale He's not. His high school team is called the longhorns & uses the same logo & color scheme as Texas.

6 hours ago, TigerTale said:

Why is this guy wearing a Texas shirt in that picture with the hats?

Lanier High are the Longhorns the school is located in Buford, Ga. Same school as our very own Derrick Brown I use to live maybe 6 miles from their stadium.

Archived