2020 4* Buck Phillip Webb

ellitor

When it comes to the DL, I don’t understand how anybody can question Rodney Garner. He keeps Auburn floating along on the field, and off of it. 

I basically have full confidence in him. If a 5* DE doesn’t work out under CRG, it’s on the 5*. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

When it comes to the DL, I don’t understand how anybody can question Rodney Garner. He keeps Auburn floating along on the field, and off of it. 

I basically have full confidence in him. If a 5* DE doesn’t work out under CRG, it’s on the 5*. 

I would say that RG is one of the top 10 DL coaches in all of college FB based on his performance over the many seasons he has coached. This is comprised of his recruiting prowess and how his line performs in the trenches.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I would say that RG is one of the top 10 DL coaches in all of college FB based on his performance over the many seasons he has coached. This is comprised of his recruiting prowess and how his line performs in the trenches.

Add to that he puts players in the NFL. This year there will probably be three of them and one will probably be 1st round.

41 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think his whole coaching career considered, I think he’s closer to a top 3 DL coach. There’s Coach Kool and who else that may be better? 

I would say if he wants to make a "business decision," he should trust Rodney Garner.   I would.   Maybe coming from Derrick Brown's HS alma mater may help in some sense.   

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

if a guy has the skill set for it then Steele is happy to have a stand up Buck.

It is somewhat OT I guess, but who would be an example of this? Lawson? But even he played about half his snaps hand in the dirt.

I just don't want to sign someone who wants to be a traditional LB and move them to essentially a DE.  It seems to me unless they become a player game 1 they would be unlikely to stay long enough to develop. Garner can absolutely coach them up to get into the league.....IF they stick around long enough.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If a 5* DE doesn’t work out under CRG, it’s on the 5*

Cowart has fully endorsed this sentiment recently FWIW.

28 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

but who would be an example of this?

The DE Muschamp had at Florida before coming to AU. I can't remember his name but he played stand up a lot. Boom & Steele essentially run the same system on D.

Also FWIW @Auburn2Eugene we aren't recruiting Webb strictly as a Buck. We are also recruiting him &would take him as a true LB in the class.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

The DE Muschamp had at Florida before coming to AU. I can't remember his name but he played stand up a lot. Boom & Steele essentially run the same system on D.

Also FWIW @Auburn2Eugene we aren't recruiting Webb strictly as a Buck. We are also recruiting him &would take him as a true LB in the class.

CeCe Jefferson?

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

CeCe Jefferson?

It was before him. CeCe was a recruit when Boom came back to AU.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

It was before him. CeCe was a recruit when Boom came back to AU.

The chuckie doll dude before cowart?

52 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The chuckie doll dude before cowart?

Dante Fowler.

45 minutes ago, autan said:

Has Webb indicated a commitment date? 8/23 maybe?

No. It was always thought Summer but keeps getting pushed back.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, auburn4ever said:

At 6-3, 224, Webb would be a great fit at LB for Auburn.

He’s projected to play the buck position.

17 minutes ago, toddc said:

He’s projected to play the buck position.

Buck or LB. Buck is not set in stone for him. He's only played LB in the highlights I saw of him. No telling how he would play as a Buck End or if he would like it.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Buck or LB. Buck is not set in stone for him. He's only played LB in the highlights I saw of him. No telling how he would play as a Buck End or if he would like it.

I’m just going by what I’ve read, and if we are full at linebacker (Tisdol) then we don’t have a spot at lb for him. Unless he’s just that high on our board we take him anyway 

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m just going by what I’ve read, and if we are full at linebacker (Tisdol) then we don’t have a spot at lb for him. Unless he’s just that high on our board we take him anyway 

Bingo.

We have room for another linebacker. Webb might literally be the only one we still have room for, but we have room for him. 

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

’m just going by what I’ve read

Not sure where you have read that. Keith has been saying LB or Buck, JLee has been saying LB exclusively. Theirs', WDE's, & Jason Caldwell (that we can get regular access to) are the only ones that matter with that type of info.

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

Unless he’s just that high on our board we take him anyway 

Have said this numerous times in this & the 2020 recruiting thread lately.

Webb is OVing OU this weekend. He will have 3 OVs left & tells Rivals he plans to take all OVs before committing. He originally planned to commit in the Summer. This one is draging out longer than expected. OU & Florida have added to AU, LSU, & Bama as contenders.

Archived