Men vs. South Carolina game thread

WarTiger

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This team has plenty of weapons to make a deep run in the tourney. we have enough scoring. They just need to put it all together. My team has always been UCONN growing up. The reasons we won those championships were b/c of good guard play and defense and rebound. There was not 3 guys scoring 15 - 20 points a game. This team needs to get after it defensively and rebound; scoring wouldn't be an issue if they did.

That is the real reason we lost this game. We actually played a really good game offensively against a really good defensive team. We played within ourselves and barely took any of the bad shots we are notorious for this year. You cannot let a Frank Martin team hang 80 on you. That is just so bad. They do not have the talent to do that and yet they did vs us. That is disheartening. This is one of those teams though if we played them at home we would crush by 15 plus.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't think we're a tournament team.

neither do i.....this bunch is not tough enough....they have talent, but that toughness is not there except for horace,harper and dunbar....wiley is coming on, but keeps getting set back by his feet and legs....i honestly think there will be more toughness next year due to the incoming FRESHMAN!!!! that,based on video, and how agressive they play....it will take a while to establish them to college basketball and grow their bodies,though....the incoming class will end up being special, even as early as next year....i had to change my hopes for this year from a final 4 to just making the tourney....really disappointing

10 hours ago, 92AU said:

We're soft and not that bright. 

this is the truth and the rah rah folks won't like you saying it, but you hit the nail on the head with the hammer of the obvious....you can see the glaring lack of toughness and the basketball stupidity every time we play someone that has some toughness and plays smart......chuma needs to be benched to get his attention before he lets his softness ruin his career

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is the real reason we lost this game. We actually played a really good game offensively against a really good defensive team. We played within ourselves and barely took any of the bad shots we are notorious for this year. You cannot let a Frank Martin team hang 80 on you. That is just so bad. They do not have the talent to do that and yet they did vs us. That is disheartening. This is one of those teams though if we played them at home we would crush by 15 plus.

Good points...and about any good team can score 80 on us now.....no inside defense and mediocre rebounding....

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah.  I noticed that Mr. Silva had a career night stats-wise.  AU is becoming the opponent that any struggling team needs to play.

I haven't heard Bruce mention anything about Unfinished Business lately.  Wonder why.

15 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah.  I noticed that Mr. Silva had a career night stats-wise.  AU is becoming the opponent that any struggling team needs to play.

Well maybe.....but you recall we kicked the crap out of TAMU at their place about a week ago.....every game is a new adventure and match ups are a big issue for AU ...especially with AW on the sidelines. 

BB is a good, albeit streaky, shooter but often times he is an offense killer- dribbling around, shucking and jiving, running about 15 seconds off of the shot clock and killing any possible offensive rhythm. Our lack of ball movement on offense is so exasperating. Harper and Brown can be deadly outside shooters but it would require good ball movement to free them up because they are not big enough or explosive enough to create their own shots. This is where I wanted Wiley to help us with that big post presence and this is where we are missing Heron big-time. Just an opinion from a novice observer...... but this is where you saw USCe constantly beating us last night, with good ball movement to create openings for guys. 

If Bryce has to dribble more than 4 times he's in trouble and should look to pass ASAP. But I have to give him some credit, even with that part of his game leaving a lot to be desired he has really started to play better lately with shot selection and moving the ball. I thought the ball movement in the 2nd half didn't match how well we moved the ball during our comeback to end the first half. Good things happen when we move the ball. It's imperative we move it and keep it moving since we rely so much on jump shots.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

this is where you saw USCe constantly beating us last night, with good ball movement to create openings for guys. 

How many times did the USC big guys get easy baskets while our "big" guys were stretched on the floor after a shoulder or elbow to the chest?     JMO but that would not happen with AW in the game....he might eventually foul out but at least he might stop some of the shots instead of giving up the goal and also racking up a foul on the play as we did last night.   

IMO, AW does not have to score to make a difference IF he will play tough in the middle on defense and get a few rebounds.     Spencer is tough as a boot but at 220 pounds neither he nor AMac have a chance against most big men in the SEC. 

3 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I haven't heard Bruce mention anything about Unfinished Business lately.  Wonder why.

because now it's new business that has to be taken care of

15 hours ago, around4ever said:

I just don't like how we play on offense.  We don't pass enough.  The guards dribble too much.  We don't crash the boards for rebounds.  When a shot goes up, we turn around and run back to play defense.  

And this is on Brus? I mean Coach Pearl?

Isnt this how the Fire Gus began??

On 1/22/2019 at 8:50 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Show me where anyone said that though? 🤣🤣🤣🤣😎

We’re second in points per game in the SEC. so there nothing wrong with the scoring. Low post defense is the problem right now, it’s so obvious. Silvia was practically under the basket every time he caught the ball, there was no time to double. But why double Silvia he’s only 6’9 and skinnier than any player we have at 6’7 6’8. Besides we were up both games with under a minute left. The difference is, they made their basket. Didn’t have problem with either play: the Jared layup or the kick out from Bryce to a open Chuma three. We could be sittin 4-1 with out some unfortunate events. This team stays competing it’s not Jared, Bryce, Samir or anybody fault why players decide to quit and transfer. I don’t miss the players that transfer because loyalty runs a long way with me. I see too many praising players that quit on us. The trade off was supposed to be the players that transferred out for a healthy 5*AW and a starting DP,especially during sec  I figured we’d have our full team but we don’t. 

Archived