It's not over but we will have to adjust

cole256

Don't have to start jumping off of ledges but maybe some of you will start to listen now....I feel like many of you owe me an apology but it's all good. Number one problem right now is we just need consistency. We need a player that doesn't rely on jump shots for most of their offense. Don't know if we have that but we'll see. 

I look forward to reading the ridiculous posts of the world is ending because of the ridiculous posts at the beginning of the season as far as unreal expectations......I even talked about that before the seasons too. Whatever happens I think Pearl is doing as good as he can do with the players he has though.

I will say I did think Harper would be shooting a little better from the field that he has been. I think that may be my fault though, he is smaller and I know that despite people love to hear the unbelievable story.......this is a big boy game and it matters

As you say...it's not over.....and even top teams lose games to much lower rated teams.  Duke lost to Syracuse, Kansas lost to West Virginia and Miss State was hammered by UK....just a couple that come to mind. 

As you pointed out a number of times....BP coaches like he coaches and we just have to get used to it.     The team is what it is....and I don't see where it is possible to make any serious adjustments with the players we have now     Just hoping we get some muscle/bulk soon ....even if they guy comes from Serbia or somewhere to help rebound and plug up the middle.

Like folks say during football discussions....whatever player shortcomings we have as a team are on the coaches and recruiters. to do better. 

I dont think is a very good TEAM right now, theres not the necessary links between guys right now. They need that third scorer to force Jared and Bryce to chill more than anything (amongst other necessary additions/changes)

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Don't have to start jumping off of ledges but maybe some of you will start to listen now....I feel like many of you owe me an apology but it's all good

We all know that you are the self-appointed guru of the basketball forum, but let's never forget the self-appointed part. Nobody owes you an apology. How presumptuous! You post various opinions and guesses. When they prove correct you show up to crow about it and beat your chest. When you are wrong you're nowhere to be found.

Owe you an apology? Give us a break. (A three month break would be nice)

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

We all know that you are the self-appointed guru of the basketball forum, but let's never forget the self-appointed part. Nobody owes you an apology. How presumptuous! You post various opinions and guesses. When they prove correct you show up to crow about it and beat your chest. When you are wrong you're nowhere to be found.

Owe you an apology? Give us a break. (A three month break would be nice)

A few things. Who on here is appointed anything? This coming from somebody who selfappointed themselves an evaluator of linebackers is hilarious....somebody told you that you knew ANYTHING about linebackers, I just didn't think you actually believed it.

I never called myself a guru you emphasized self appointed could you show that? You've mentioned it before seems like you're insecure about me knowing basketball....I don't know how that works. You may think I'm guessing....if I am I'm the luckiest guy on here huh? When I'm wrong I'm no where to be found....can you show that or are you just talking as usual?

It was a joke but yeah I'm going to always bring it up because every single time I voice an opinion you're going to come around and tell me how I'm wrong while insulting me but can't man up after the fact when I'm right. 

Give US a break? Don't kid yourself Mikey, NOBODY LIKES YOU. The other members of the Gus fantastic five doesn't even like you. You don't have a team or anything, nobody associates themselves with you. If a 3 month from me would be nice a year from you would be fantastic, you literally offer nothing. You don't have a sense a humor, you're an hypocrite, you don't know what the hell you talk about, you get called out at least once a week for contradicting yourself. You're not even an original Au64 is much better at doing what you attempt to do. You're merely just a great value version of him. Long as he's here we don't need his family dollar knock off......

And I resent the basketball stuff....I'm just as awesome with football as well

I can't tell if you guys are adversaries, or just fussing like brothers.

I adjusted my expectations a couple weeks ago for this team, but have since re-adjusted.  And I may re-adjust yet again.  We could easily miss the NCAA.

I keep waiting for Purifoy to show up.  We need him.

A few days ago, it appeared as if Mac was returning to his game.  Now that seems like a blip on the radar screen.

4 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I can't tell if you guys are adversaries, or just fussing like brothers.

I adjusted my expectations a couple weeks ago for this team, but have since re-adjusted.  And I may re-adjust yet again.  We could easily miss the NCAA.

I keep waiting for Purifoy to show up.  We need him.

A few days ago, it appeared as if Mac was returning to his game.  Now that seems like a blip on the radar screen.

😄  Style of officiating last night favored USCe....their big guys could push all they wanted and no calls against them.   Not Amac's fault he was outsized so badly...or Spencer either.  and not much they could do IMO.  

But, I'm not sure that game established a trend or anything ..but did  show again, that our lack of inside presence is gonna be a factor all season...and like it or not, we are going to be depending on the outside shooting  to win....and trying to outscore people.  . 

The early foul trouble really put us in a bind last night. We needed Wiley big time......at this point i could still see us making the tourney but i could also see us missing the NIT. The team just hasn't panned out this season. I can't help but wonder what could have been had the scandal not hit last season. We would most likely have Hagans and Montgomery on our team right now instead of them being at Kentucky. That would plug 2 of our biggest holes in backup PG position and another big man that can stretch the floor. 

But i have to remember that we could have won the last 2 games and be sitting at 4-1 in the SEC instead of 2-3. We still aren't playing as good as i think we can so there is hope. There is also the realization  that we are extremely beatable. Guess we get to see what this team looks like with their backs against the wall

Our lack of a threat to score at the rim, or even attempt to, is making us a lot easier to defend. And if we're off....yikes.

I liked Bryce's decision making at the end there. He didn't force up an off balance shot but hit an open Okeke. Chuma just has to make that. He had hit a big 3 a few minutes prior. But ideally I'd rather have Harper, who's proven to be a closer for us, with the ball there. I know we got it to Bryce once that big guy switched on to him and that was good coaching by Martin to force us to use Bryce off the bounce there. Man, this one still stings this morning.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

😄  Style of officiating last night favored USCe....their big guys could push all they wanted and no calls against them.   Not Amac's fault he was outsized so badly...or Spencer either.  and not much they could do IMO.  

But, I'm not sure that game established a trend or anything ..but did  show again, that our lack of inside presence is gonna be a factor all season...and like it or not, we are going to be depending on the outside shooting  to win....and trying to outscore people.  . 

This is the only game so far I would say there was a problem with calls.....I feel like the games beforehand were great as far as getting us prepared for calls. 

The only thing right now is what I said right before the season started....we're not as good as we thought and we are going to have to adjust throughout the season. But just because we're not as good as the fan base thought doesn't mean we suck. If this board is a good representation of the fan base in general then because of us not being used to having a good basketball team we held expectations that aren't accurate, don't let the disappointment fool you as to where we're at. 

My theory is because we're a football school on top of us being highly this guy doesn't matter ever time a player is lost for whatever reason we tried to apply that with basketball as well. Doesn't work like that, now the fan base is learning the hard way I guess......we can hope now we just get better without losing. If we get hot and get to enter the NCAA hot we still could do alot of damage

All I will say and keep saying is I hate our style of play. It might be fun for recruits but it breeds inconsistency. The fast pace, three point style is great if you have someone who can go for 30-40 every night like James Harden or KD, but when your team already lacks an inside presence and suspect on defense it can be a killer.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Our lack of a threat to score at the rim, or even attempt to, is making us a lot easier to defend. And if we're off....yikes.

I liked Bryce's decision making at the end there. He didn't force up an off balance shot but hit an open Okeke. Chuma just has to make that. He had hit a big 3 a few minutes prior. But ideally I'd rather have Harper, who's proven to be a closer for us, with the ball there. I know we got it to Bryce once that big guy switched on to him and that was good coaching by Martin to force us to use Bryce off the bounce there. Man, this one still stings this morning.

This is where we hoped chumma was more experienced in closing games out with the easy games this year but we've pretty much been working on Harper and Brown to get their confidence instead. I saw DP make a similar play to Brown in the first half of the game, I thought was nice. 

But can you see dilemma? Damned if you do damned if you don't. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

All I will say and keep saying is I hate our style of play. It might be fun for recruits but it breeds inconsistency. The fast pace, three point style is great if you have someone who can go for 30-40 every night like James Harden or KD, but when your team already lacks an inside presence and suspect on defense it can be a killer.

It's great when you have consistent shooters that create mismatches....we haven't been great at shooting or able tocreate mismatches....really even creating our own shot. 

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's great when you have consistent shooters that create mismatches....we haven't been great at shooting or able tocreate mismatches....really even creating our own shot. 

Teams know to overplay our guards, who are our best offensive weapons. Our guards are smaller too, so they don't create to many mismatches, unless they can outquick them. Brown is not a dribble drive player. He scares me the more he dribbles. 

Samir is NOT the dribble drive player he was made out to be, but he does enough to help in all areas. 

Chuma showed improvement last night when our bigs fouled out and he had to be more aggressive on offense. Although he had a wide open shot at the end, I would have (as this poster pointed out) rather have had Harper with the ball.

We didn't need a 3 at the end to win, just Harper taking it to the basket, and making it or getting fouled. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

This is where we hoped chumma was more experienced in closing games out with the easy games this year but we've pretty much been working on Harper and Brown to get their confidence instead. I saw DP make a similar play to Brown in the first half of the game, I thought was nice. 

But can you see dilemma? Damned if you do damned if you don't. 

I know the DP play you're talking about. When we play like that we can take it to anybody. Like Andy Kennedy said last night, when Bryce gets squared up to the basket he's one of the best shooters in college hoops. That requires him to be moving without the ball with a purpose and someone else hitting him on time with a good, on-target pass. When he's dribbling around his efficiency goes into the tank. But the play at the end of the game showed me a lot of growth in Bryce's game. I hope the result of the play does not discourage him from continuing to play this way.

Ugh, Chuma. He has shown he can be a real problem with the ball but doesn't force the issue often enough, and other times when he does but it's so sporadic he's really not able to find himself in any rhythm offensively. He started off the season in incredible fashion in the first 2 games I really thought that's the guy we would see this season. He looked like he was on his way to having an All-SEC type of year. We tried to establish him down low early last night but went away from him. His touch around the basket is very good. He needs to take advantage of defenses guarding Harper and Bryce tightly.

Bottom line is, if we hit the 3s we can beat probably anybody in the nation even with our deficiencies. When we start a game 0-9 or whatever it was we are gonna have a hard time pulling it out, especially on the road. I really do think we probably win the last 2 with Wiley.

My only hope is the tough times are building up this team for down the road.  Last year was a complete surprise and this year is probably about where Auburn should be.  Talent wise this team will only continue to improve with the young guys Bruce is recruiting to Auburn.  The goal to finish out the season should be a winning record in the SEC, a strong run in the SEC tourney, and a mid level seed in the NCAA tourney come March.  Good news is as Gus would say “future looks bright”.

47 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Everybody has to be the self-appointed something, I guess 

I'm the self-appointed "Judger of Bad Refs".

On 1/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not true!

I appointed Golf "The ass of AUFamily" a long time ago.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:34 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well since we're usually good at swimming let me take credit for that!  🏊🏾

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

That would be AE first then passed along to AUF numnuts

Wasn't sure you'd remember that far back

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wasn't sure you'd remember that far back

He probably doesn't remember the question he just answered

Archived