It's not over but we will have to adjust

cole256

Maybe Gus and Bruce should switch jobs?  Then we could be calling for the coach's head rather than talk about inconsistent play by the guys in the game.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not true!

I appointed Golf "The ass of AUFamily" a long time ago.

Ass=Butt hurt? If so, he has company. 

Next two or three games probably most important games of the season. This is similar to the dilemma the Steelers are going to have to face, it's something that I feel like our football team will see next year with Slayton. It's easy to say oh good riddance to every player......heavy is the head that wears the crown. Everybody can't be THE man. When you find a guy that can you should really appreciate what you have. It's harder than you can imagine. In Herron's case it was a thankless job. We don't really have an alpha right now it doesn't seem. 

52 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We don't really have an alpha right now it doesn't seem. 

Couldn't agree more. Harper seems to have a little in him but there isn't a vocal leader anywhere to be found

I believe in a month from now, things will be right and we will be winning games that we have lost by small margins. The SEC is better from top to bottom this year compared to 2018.  Coach Pearl will have us back on track and I have faith in him and this team. Let's start this Saturday with the attitude that this is the first game of the rest of the season and put the loses behind us.

I am not anywhere as knowledgeable as a lot of you on this site, but I know enough to think that this team is capable of turning things around in a big way that will come in the future. 

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I believe in a month from now, things will be right and we will be winning games that we have lost by small margins.. 

That sounds great Doc. Can we go back and do that in football too? Just messing with you. :)

@cole256 I know how much it means to you to hear that you were right, so here I am saying it. This team is disappointingly the most mentally weak team of Bruce’s tenure. 

4 minutes ago, jared52 said:

@cole256 I know how much it means to you to hear that you were right, so here I am saying it. This team is disappointingly the most mentally weak team of Bruce’s tenure. 

Nah it doesn't mean much unless you were one of the people that said I was an idiot or something of that nature. But ironically I'll probably be one of the more level headed people when everybody starts going crazy because I didn't have the unreal expectations. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nah it doesn't mean much unless you were one of the people that said I was an idiot or something of that nature. But ironically I'll probably be one of the more level headed people when everybody starts going crazy because I didn't have the unreal expectations. 

Come on, you had to expect this team to make a little noise in the tourney. They are caught in an avalanche of mediocrity that will bury them into the NIT at this point. You really expected them to be this poor at this point?

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Come on, you had to expect this team to make a little noise in the tourney. They are caught in an avalanche of mediocrity that will bury them into the NIT at this point. You really expected them to be this poor at this point?

No I expected them to lose this game though, didn't expect to lose to south C. I said we would lose some games we shouldn't and thought we'd get everything going around the time the tournament start. I'll find the post. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

No I expected them to lose this game though, didn't expect to lose to south C. I said we would lose some games we shouldn't and thought we'd get everything going around the time the tournament start. I'll find the post. 

I think I remember that. I feel this morning I was too harsh in my critique last night and will have faith that they will do as you say. They arent playing well, but we all know they can, which is what’s makes these results frustrating. I really do hope they get it together before the tournament so they can make it at all, but I know I need to step back and not assume they won’t just because of this stretch of games. 

45 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I think I remember that. I feel this morning I was too harsh in my critique last night and will have faith that they will do as you say. They arent playing well, but we all know they can, which is what’s makes these results frustrating. I really do hope they get it together before the tournament so they can make it at all, but I know I need to step back and not assume they won’t just because of this stretch of games. 

I mean as far as the team fixing things I'm alot less confident saying what will happen, because I don't know the mettle of these guys. I was super confidence as far as seeing how we was playing and what was going to happen next, but the fixing theproblems is like a choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying since the preseason that chemistry and rotations would be the issues. Wiley's absence has allowed us to stabilize the rotations and makes it easier for some of our guys to know their roles. The result is us playing as fast and free as we have all season. WIth him due back soon (maybe tonight) CBP has to make a difficult decision. He hasn't been able to work out a 9 man rotation. In my opinion he has to choose a guy who is currently getting minutes and essentially bench him. The three candidates for that are Spencer, Purifoy or Wiley. Barring foul trouble there aren't enough minutes to go around for our set of nine guys. JMO.

Let's keep that losing streak in perspective, we were two last second shots away from that 0-3 being 2-1 or one make away from 1-2. Neither of which would have brought on panic. 

1 minute ago, JwgreDeux said:

I've been saying since the preseason that chemistry and rotations would be the issues. Wiley's absence has allowed us to stabilize the rotations and makes it easier for some of our guys to know their roles. The result is us playing as fast and free as we have all season. WIth him due back soon (maybe tonight) CBP has to make a difficult decision. He hasn't been able to work out a 9 man rotation. In my opinion he has to choose a guy who is currently getting minutes and essentially bench him. The three candidates for that are Spencer, Purifoy or Wiley. Barring foul trouble there aren't enough minutes to go around for our set of nine guys. JMO.

Let's keep that losing streak in perspective, we were two last second shots away from that 0-3 being 2-1 or one make away from 1-2. Neither of which would have brought on panic. 

thanks....and how does AW .....playing or not playing....impact what happens with Florida tonight.?    Seems this can't be a last minute decision for BP.    

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

thanks....and how does AW .....playing or not playing....impact what happens with Florida tonight.?    Seems this can't be a last minute decision for BP.    

Personally, I would plug Wiley in for Spencer if he's healthy going forward. If in any given game Wiley is not being effective, I'd sit him down in favor of Spencer. Spencer has shown time and time again that he is a team guy and will be ready when called on. I think his skill set is the most limited among the three guys I mentioned. Purifoy gives us something at the four that no other player does when coming off the bench, as far as his offensive abilities. ( I should have said that Wiley makes it a 10 man rotation if we don't scale somebody back. I wasn't thinking about McCormick backing up the 1/2 spot).

The problem is there are only so many minutes to go around. I like our current starting five with Dunbar getting good minutes off the bench, McCormick giving Jared and/or Bryce a short rest, and with Purifoy and Wiley getting rotated in at the 4 and 5. Spencer is just the odd guy out in my opinion. Have him ready in the event of foul trouble or if Wiley/Purifoy are ineffective. 

25 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Personally, I would plug Wiley in for Spencer if he's healthy going forward. If in any given game Wiley is not being effective, I'd sit him down in favor of Spencer. Spencer has shown time and time again that he is a team guy and will be ready when called on. I think his skill set is the most limited among the three guys I mentioned. Purifoy gives us something at the four that no other player does when coming off the bench, as far as his offensive abilities. ( I should have said that Wiley makes it a 10 man rotation if we don't scale somebody back. I wasn't thinking about McCormick backing up the 1/2 spot).

The problem is there are only so many minutes to go around. I like our current starting five with Dunbar getting good minutes off the bench, McCormick giving Jared and/or Bryce a short rest, and with Purifoy and Wiley getting rotated in at the 4 and 5. Spencer is just the odd guy out in my opinion. Have him ready in the event of foul trouble or if Wiley/Purifoy are ineffective. 

I agree with everything you say but there is something about Spencer when he is on the floor giving maximum effort that seems to fire up both the fans and the team. He does the little things that don't show up in the stats, taking a charge knocking a ball away from a big, tapping a rebound to a teammate.  He has multiple limitations at times he is a travel waiting to happen.  I agree there are not enough minutes to go around but he usually makes the most of the minutes he gets.   

Archived