Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Enlighten me, boss man. Did Cadillac have any other job offers from Power 5 schools? 

Nope...WTH does that have to do with his hiring?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it; good name recognition with the kids to help with recruiting.

Lack of coaching experience doesn’t really matter in my opinion because does our offensive position coaches actually coach anyway? 

Since we are punting on the 2019 season the moment we trotted Gus back we might as well have one of our biggest legends be our RB coach. At least when we have another mediocre season it will still be awesome to see Caddy and Ronnie Brown on the same sidelines once again during Auburn games.

58 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think it can be a good hire because of her personality and certain brand of charisma

I wouldnt disagree if someone said they wanted a real, experienced option though (IDK what one of those looks like, at the RB position). I think people have a bigger problem with Gus hiring another not very contested, seemingly undesirable candidate at a need position. 

I don't think we're a blue blood 

He said SEC blue blood and we absolutely are. We are one of the big 6.  Top 13 program all time nationally and a sec blue blood historically. 

I love Cadillac, a true AU man. But you know he is not ready to be a power 5 coach but might be ready for a non power 5. I told y’all a couple of days ago to be ready for this. Gus has no other options. Auburn has punted on the 2019 season. I hate it . They tried to get Gus to leave on his own terms but he is to stubborn. Now you should realize all the stories out after IB were true. Gus couldn’t even hire a non power 5 OL coach at this point. We can cheer for the guys next year and dream of championships in 2020 with a new HC. War 🦅 

47 minutes ago, baldeagle55 said:

Nope...WTH does that have to do with his hiring?

It means that Cadillac was not a sought-after coach. And unless the great offensive genius Gus Malzahn knows something we, and all other big time football programs don't know, then Cadillac is a total crapshoot hire. 

For past reference, here is a list of others things Malzahn thought he knew that nobody else did: Jeremy Johnson being a great QB, Cox-cat being a revolutionary formation, and not recruiting offensive linemen being a great strategy. 

Another former Auburn player tanked. James Willis. Why the hell didn't Gus try to hire either Dell McGee, Curtis Luper or Eddie Gran. I guess Gus knew they would not want to come just for 1 year and might be replaced when a new head coach is hired after the 2019 season. Oh yeah, Malzahn needed another yes man on his staff.

MAR is quoted as saying he loves this hire! Hope it pays off 

Seems like several recruits have mentioned how AU takes care of former players. Is this an angle they are trying to exploit as well? Seems to be something kids like. Also, seems to be easier to sell “your” school. As long as you are a good enough coach to develop players.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Another former Auburn player tanked. James Willis. Why the hell didn't Gus try to hire either Dell McGee, Curtis Luper or Eddie Gran. I guess Gus knew they would not want to come just for 1 year and might be replaced when a new head coach is hired after the 2019 season. Oh yeah, Malzahn needed another yes man on his staff.

He had no options every coach out there knows Gus is a dead man walking. Unless your a nobody wanting to get your lucky break your not going to risk your career for a one and done deal.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He said SEC blue blood and we absolutely are. We are one of the big 6.  Top 13 program all time nationally and a sec blue blood historically. 

Auburn should be a "blue blood" since we are a top 13 program Nationally and one of the top 6 in the SEC.  In no specific SEC order.

Dual-Rig says we are not a National "blue blood" ?  Guess he is personally bias ( bammer ) or that he is influenced by the non essential talking heads on sports radio.  

GWillVI  you agreed Not National just a SEC "blue blood". ( solid AU in the "know" poster )

What are the Metrics that have to be met to be a National Blue Blood?  Compare those to the SEC Metrics.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.

Gus just gave more reason for more people to laugh their heads off at Malzahn and the Auburn people who's kept him while other teams keep winning championships and championships. The people who really run this football program never wants to be at the upper level where other winning teams are. Their happy with the way things have been going for years and years.

I actually like the hire.  Yes, I would have made Dell McGee and Curtis Luper my first call, as it appears Gus did..  But I have no reason to believe Cadillac will be anything other than an excellent coach and recruiter just like T-Will and Kodi have turned out to be.

I like the youth movement. Experience doesn't mean instant success. It doesnt guarentee wins. I like the hire. Caddy's in the house!!!

11 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus just gave more reason for more people to laugh their heads off at Malzahn and the Auburn people who's kept him while other teams keep winning championships and championships. The people who really run this football program never wants to be at the upper level where other winning teams are. Their happy with the way things have been going for years and years.

Ioneemno Brilliant GIF - Ioneemno Brilliant Smart GIFsbird no GIF by Cheezburgerbird no GIF by Cheezburger

bird no GIF by Cheezburgerbird no GIF by CheezburgerJk GIF - Pewdiepie JustKiddingBiatch JustKidding GIFs

Dell McGee went from being an Auburn analyst to the RB coach at GA Southern before winding up at UGAG.  As many already know, he was a HS coach before that.  I am good with the hire but it is rare to find a great player that makes a great coach.  Most good coaches were very marginal players.  They are good coaches because they had to do all of the little things to try to compete while playing.  The great players for the most part didn't have to be as much of a student of the game.  

I like having the "name" back but Caddy's, or any other coach's,  ability to teach, communicate and motivate will be the biggest factors in his success.     It doesn't sound like there is much of a track record in these areas so it looks to be an OTJ learning experience hire........just like Gus.

33 minutes ago, AU '76 said:

Auburn should be a "blue blood" since we are a top 13 program Nationally and one of the top 6 in the SEC.  In no specific SEC order.

Dual-Rig says we are not a National "blue blood" ?  Guess he is personally bias ( bammer ) or that he is influenced by the non essential talking heads on sports radio.  

GWillVI  you agreed Not National just a SEC "blue blood". ( solid AU in the "know" poster )

What are the Metrics that have to be met to be a National Blue Blood?  Compare those to the SEC Metrics.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.

For starters you need consistency.  Auburn has not put together a string of success in a loooooong time.  Blue blood programs for the most part at one time or another dominated for a number of years.  Unfortunately Auburn will win 11 one year and 7 the next.  We are not consistently good.

6 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Honest question, what’s the success rate on hiring a former Auburn player?

Garner is great. TWill has been successful. Kodi has been good (better as a recruiter than expected). Rocker was fantastic. Robinson was very good. 

I’m a Dameyune h8r so I’m calling that a miss. He’s poison. Pelton was a disaster. 

Others? Seems like it works more than it fails, but who am I forgetting?

I wish it could be Kevin Greene to coach linebackers.  ....The only college walk-on to be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Archived