Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest question, what’s the success rate on hiring a former Auburn player?

Garner is great. TWill has been successful. Kodi has been good (better as a recruiter than expected). Rocker was fantastic. Robinson was very good. 

I’m a Dameyune h8r so I’m calling that a miss. He’s poison. Pelton was a disaster. 

Others? Seems like it works more than it fails, but who am I forgetting?

This tells us more about Gus than anything.  He has a bad reputation in the coaching circles to work under offensively.  Coaches love to have influence and learn more to further their careers.  Gus gives you neither.  All he gives you is Auburn on the resume.

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

so why nothing official yet?

Beat reporters reporting on twitter makes the official part a formality.

Cadillac Expected to Return to Auburn As Running Backs Coach

By Jason Caldwell

21m ago • 1 min read

UPDATE 21m ago

Carnell Williams was a star on Auburn's unbeaten 2004 team. (Photo: Chris Graythen, Getty)

Auburn, Ala.--One of the most successful running backs in Auburn history, Carnell Williams is returning home to coach the position for Gus Malzahn’s Tigers, Inside The Auburn Tigers has been told by source close to the situation.

Finishing his college playing days with 3,831 yards plus a school record 45 career rushing touchdowns and drafted in the first round by the Tampa Bay Bucs, Williams has worked at West Georgia and IMG Academy coaching the running backs before being hired recently to coach the position for the Birmingham Iron of the new AAF.

The NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 when he ran for 1,178 yards and six touchdowns, Williams battled through a series of injuries before finally retiring from the game after the 2011 season. He finished his career with 4,038 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns.

Williams will take over for veteran Coach Tim Horton, who coached the position at Auburn from 2013-18 and helped the Tigers become one of the top rushing teams in the Southeastern Conference.

Well, we at least know he is going to be a hard worker.  He has coached the position, so that helps having that experience in the way you run your drills and the little details that need to be coached up.  I know he played it at a high level, but it is just different being on the coaching side.  Not all who play it can coach it.

There is a lot of youth and inexperience on that offensive coaching staff.  Hopefully it will work out.

The vibe here does not seem to be as positive as I thought it might be on the Caddy hiring. Why is that? Honest question. He can speak from experience, Auburn grad, very talented player, NFL player, was coaching at a college talent factory. I have to imagine he knows his Xs and OS.

I don't know anything on his personality and ability to recruit. Is that the concern? 

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Caddy got the job. Not sure he is ready. He isn't a T-Will in the livingroom. 

Send him to a Tony Robbins Seminar or similar.

9 minutes ago, AU_Twisterman said:

There is a lot of youth and inexperience on that offensive coaching staff.  Hopefully it will work out.

Hopefully, their youth translates to higher energy and enthusiasm and harder work to offset that inexperience.

Would have rather seen Porter moved there, but he may have done so well with special teams that Gus didn't want to move him from that.

43 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

This tells us more about Gus than anything.  He has a bad reputation in the coaching circles to work under offensively.  Coaches love to have influence and learn more to further their careers.  Gus gives you neither.  All he gives you is Auburn on the resume.

^^^This, one also has to ask if this is cost neutral?  Will he get paid equal or less than Horton?  People do not want to believe Gus was neutered, but this is baffling. 

I’m going to pump some damn sunshine into this thread. Caddy is the reason I wore 24 in high school and played RB. The dude ran hard and with an attitude! Always respected his style and had the Bucs not rode him into the ground the NFL would have respected his career even more.

He should develop into a great recruiter for us. Develop being the operative word. His IMG connection can’t hurt and if they had him coaching there of all places he’s probably not bad as a coach.

This isn’t a “proven” hire for sure but dagnabit I love Caddy and I think the kids will too. They say don’t meet your heroes but I’ve never been disappointed with my interactions with him. 

War Eagle! I absolutely cannot wait to see him being interviewed by Ronnie Brown lol.

I like it.  You partner his experience as a player to NFL, along with put him in a room with everyone’s favorite Recruiter in Porter and you could have a deadly/high profile pitch!  

I bet it pays off!  

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

^^^This, one also has to ask if this is cost neutral?  Will he get paid equal or less than Horton?  People do not want to believe Gus was neutered, but this is baffling. 

Last 3 offensive hires Grimes, Dilly and now Caddy.   This seems to show a trend of what Gus can get.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Horton making $500k IIRC. Guessing Caddy comes in under that. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Horton making $500k IIRC. Guessing Caddy comes in under that. 

Well under I would imagine, or hope.

13 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Last 3 offensive hires Grimes, Dilly and now Caddy.   This seems to show a trend of what Gus can get.

What he can get the the money?  Or what he is settling for?  We will never know. 

So what do the players call him. Coach Williams, Coach Cadillac, Cadillac? I haven’t seen him speak since his rookie year. He’s in my top three players of all time. The only Jersey I’ve ever owned as a fan was #24. I just haven’t seen him as a coach yet. It’s weird and makes me feel old.

this almost has to be a recruiter hire so I hope he can recruit. Not that I don’t think he can coach, but I would think we would be looking for more experience if we were in the market to upgrade from Horton.

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Oh I know he was joking about Clay Helton. I'm talking about his reaction to the hire of Cadillac.

I good with the hire. Going to be a huge learning curve for Caddy on the trail. I was just warning people that he isn't a T-Will type recruiter. The two have totally different personalities. All I was saying. 

I LOVE Cadillac, but also agree this seems to be a lazy hire.

That doesn't mean it can't be great. I think what everyone is missing is he was teammates with T-Will. I would bet T-Will can and will teach Carnell a lot about being a great recruiter. 

Archived