Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The key word in your post is Auburn. 

Not many people other than Auburn fans, older SEC and hardcore CFB fans and Heisman historians knows who Pat Sullivan was. 

If LSU sent anyone to my house wanting to recruit me for any position, I would 100% listen. Is that program set to contend for the West? Do I like them? Are they a Tier 1 elite CFB program? Do I think Ed Orgeron is a good coach or that he'll be there when I graduate? Nope. But still, it's freaking LSU. I'd be an idiot not to take the meeting.

Conversely, if Wyoming sends Cadillac Williams to recruit me for RB and I'm getting offers from legit P5 powerhouses, am I inviting him over for dinner? Sure... if I'm an Auburn fan.

The biggest difference in a recruit looking for info on a new position coach in 1987 and one in 2019 is the internet.

In 1987, the only way a recruit could have found any college footage whatsoever on Sullivan is if they went out and spent $20 on an Auburn VHS tape and even that would have been difficult to locate. And that tape only gives you footage, no other info about Sullivan.

In 2019, a recruit can find out tons of info on Cadillac in 5 minutes, all free from their phone. 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Speaking of Dell McGee, the recruiting god, the ex-CB who had all of one INT his final two seasons at AU, where was he just 4 years ago? That’s right .. Georgia Southern. Where was he just 6 years ago? That’s right .. at AU .. as an analyst.

Point is .. Smart obviously took a chance on an unknown and in a very short time, the ex-CB has become the annointed best RB recruiter in the country. 

But somehow Cadillac, a Top 5 pick as a RB, can’t become a top RB recruiter because he’s also an unknown, a project like McGee was just 4 years ago. 

I don't believe anyone's saying Cadillac can't be the next Dell McGee, who BTW isn't even ranked as a top 25 recruiter in the country according to 247.  

I think people in general are happy to have Caddy back in the fold, but at the same time realize that Gus & his entire staff must perform at top level this season to secure their employment at AU.  The situation with Gus is at a critical point, we've been lead to believe he has to put up the goods in '19 or he could be gone and then AU's starting all over.

Gus, in the wake of another mediocre season and with his ass on fire chose to take complete control of the offense, game planning and play calling..it's all on him.  He chose to hire two very young and inexperienced coaches to help him revamp this offense and they have a green QB that has to be brought up to SEC speed as well. 

This is Gus's staff, his players, his offense, he's on his own and he'll be training Dilly/Caddy along with a new starting QB - a tall task for anyone and Gus will have an Admin & influential big money Boosters breathing down his neck. 

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Speaking of Dell McGee, the recruiting god, the ex-CB who had all of one INT his final two seasons at AU, where was he just 4 years ago? That’s right .. Georgia Southern. Where was he just 6 years ago? That’s right .. at AU .. as an analyst.

Point is .. Smart obviously took a chance on an unknown and in a very short time, the ex-CB has become the annointed best RB recruiter in the country. 

But somehow Cadillac, a Top 5 pick as a RB, can’t become a top RB recruiter because he’s also an unknown, a project like McGee was just 4 years ago. 

Hahaha, holy changing the topic Batman. You're all over the place on this. 

Nobody said that Caddy can't become a top RB recruiter. Nobody said that Dell McGee was a great college player. (Although he was in the NFL for a year...) 

You said that Caddy will get into living rooms just because of his name. I contend Caddy will get into living rooms for the same reason that any Auburn RB coach will get into living rooms- because of Auburn's name. 

Dell McGee- like Travis Williams- actually proves my point, which is that qualities other than "clout" are more important in recruiting. 

McGee has "clout" now because he has proven himself at uga. How'd he get the job? Talent and a couple years of phenomenal success at an FBS school. And, yeah, being the RBs coach and interim HC at Georgia Southern for two years is hella more impressive than a high school gig, even at IMG. No, Smart didn't take a chance on a high school coach with no college experience. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody said that Caddy can't become a top RB recruiter. Nobody said that Dell McGee was a great college player. (Although he was in the NFL for a year...) 

You said that Caddy will get into living rooms just because of his name. I contend Caddy will get into living rooms for the same reason that any Auburn RB coach will get into living rooms- because of Auburn's name. 

Dell McGee- like Travis Williams- actually proves my point, which is that qualities other than "clout" are more important in recruiting. 

McGee has "clout" now because he has proven himself at uga. How'd he get the job? Talent and a couple years of phenomenal success at an FBS school. And, yeah, being the RBs coach and interim HC at Georgia Southern for two years is hella more impressive than a high school gig, even at IMG. No, Smart didn't take a chance on a high school coach with no college experience. 

I think we'd be hard pressed to find another SEC HC that would choose to hire a couple of guys like Dilly with no big time college experience and Caddy with zero college experience. 

I understand the youth, energy and connectivity they bring relative to relating to HS kids.  I understand bringing an Auburn legend back home and giving him an enormous opportunity to advance his coaching career. 

The only thing I can imagine is Gus must have a LOT of confidence in his own abilities.  Because with his job on the line he's taking a big gamble when it's evident he needs some serious help from a scheming, game planning, player evaluation and roster management standpoint.  

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think we'd be hard pressed to find another SEC HC that would choose to hire a couple of guys like Dilly with no big time college experience and Caddy with zero college experience. 

I understand the youth, energy and connectivity they bring relative to relating to HS kids.  I understand bringing an Auburn legend back home and giving him an enormous opportunity to advance his coaching career. 

The only thing I can imagine is Gus must have a LOT of confidence in his own abilities.  Because with his job on the line he's taking a big gamble when it's evident he needs some serious help from a scheming, game planning, player evaluation and roster management standpoint.  

What's sad is that I'd actually rather it be that than him falling prey to the same logical fallacy that many on this board are, which is assuming that certain qualities that have nothing to do with personality or ability automatically make a guy a good recruiter. But surely Gus isn't one of those people. 

I was really excited when I saw that we brought on Kendall Simmons... in an off-field role. My exact comment was, "This is how you bring a former Auburn great back into the fold." You don't fill up the staff on one side of the ball with newbies. 

But maybe Gus really did just need to get all the distractions out of his way and maybe this single-minded approach will carry the day. It'll be great if that happens. I remain skeptical, to say the least. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Oh I think the man has plenty of confidence. Some, like me, would say his arrogance and stubbornness comes from his confidence. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I was really excited when I saw that we brought on Kendall Simmons... in an off-field role. My exact comment was, "This is how you bring a former Auburn great back into the fold." You don't fill up the staff on one side of the ball with newbies. 

Tried  and missed on hiring Curtis Luper.   Who else did he try?

I D K

Maybe Cadillac can create some magic and contribute immediately.   I think he can, but that is a gut feel.  

Bottom line:   this season comes down the OL and Gus preparing a QB by keeping things simple enough for the QB AND not being too predictable.   Both which has been a major hurdle for Auburn/Gus.

Yes, I am worried.   But I am hopeful!

Did the money hamstring-ing by the whoever it was (PTB, AD, Pres) play into the hiring possible? What was Hortons Salary? What is Luper making? What is Caddy making? Do Dillingham and Caddy’s salary equal Cip Lindsey old salary?

12 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Did the money hamstring-ing by the whoever it was (PTB, AD, Pres) play into the hiring possible? What was Hortons Salary? What is Luper making? What is Caddy making? Do Dillingham and Caddy’s salary equal Cip Lindsey old salary?

Great questions that I've certainly considered.  If I'm not mistaken, AU shells out salaries that are in the range of top 5-10 in the country.......but the "market rates" have climbed to an exorbitant level that are ridiculous IMO. 

It could be the money crunch the Admin allegedly place on CGM, it could be the rank odor that was permeating the AU AD/Leath/Harbert and all the mess that was aired publicly after the IB, could be that well seasoned and experienced coaches don't want to hitch their wagon to what some perceive to be a lame duck HC?  IDK

42 minutes ago, keesler said:

Great questions that I've certainly considered.  If I'm not mistaken, AU shells out salaries that are in the range of top 5-10 in the country.......but the "market rates" have climbed to an exorbitant level that are ridiculous IMO. 

It could be the money crunch the Admin allegedly place on CGM, it could be the rank odor that was permeating the AU AD/Leath/Harbert and all the mess that was aired publicly after the IB, could be that well seasoned and experienced coaches don't want to hitch their wagon to what some perceive to be a lame duck HC?  IDK

You got it right. Hopefully Dilly and Cad will prove like Williams has that they can succeed because of their relationships with the players even with lack of experience . I’m pulling for both.

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The key word in your post is Auburn. 

Not many people other than Auburn fans, older SEC and hardcore CFB fans and Heisman historians knows who Pat Sullivan was. 

If LSU sent anyone to my house wanting to recruit me for any position, I would 100% listen. Is that program set to contend for the West? Do I like them? Are they a Tier 1 elite CFB program? Do I think Ed Orgeron is a good coach or that he'll be there when I graduate? Nope. But still, it's freaking LSU. I'd be an idiot not to take the meeting.

Conversely, if Wyoming sends Cadillac Williams to recruit me for RB and I'm getting offers from legit P5 powerhouses, am I inviting him over for dinner? Sure... if I'm an Auburn fan.

If LSU showed up to my house I’d let them ring the bell 5 times (ignoring it) and might sic my Rottweiler on them. I loathe the corn dogs, and their fans. This is a joke and but it would be really really hard for me to let them and those hideous colors in my house. 

22 hours ago, keesler said:

I don't believe anyone's saying Cadillac can't be the next Dell McGee, who BTW isn't even ranked as a top 25 recruiter in the country according to 247.  

I think people in general are happy to have Caddy back in the fold, but at the same time realize that Gus & his entire staff must perform at top level this season to secure their employment at AU.  The situation with Gus is at a critical point, we've been lead to believe he has to put up the goods in '19 or he could be gone and then AU's starting all over.

Gus, in the wake of another mediocre season and with his ass on fire chose to take complete control of the offense, game planning and play calling..it's all on him.  He chose to hire two very young and inexperienced coaches to help him revamp this offense and they have a green QB that has to be brought up to SEC speed as well. 

This is Gus's staff, his players, his offense, he's on his own and he'll be training Dilly/Caddy along with a new starting QB - a tall task for anyone and Gus will have an Admin & influential big money Boosters breathing down his neck. 

Completely agreed. And if Gus is let go post-2019, Cadillac, no matter how good or bad he recruited in his 1st season, may be permanently gone with him. Or the next HC may choose to retain him. Who knows?

Point is .. I believe Cadillac, on the basis on his name alone, can and will attract major talent no matter where he is as a recruiter. 

On 1/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, McLoofus said:

Not all over the place Batman. Still on clout. Dell McGee was a nobody coming out of AU. Certainly wasn’t drafted. I can name 50 CBs better than him that played at AU. 1994, arguably the best secondary in the history of AU because of the # of INTs, McGee failed to snag a single pick. Even nickle back Fred Smith, who rarely played, had two picks that season.

Coming out of Georgia Southern, still a nobody. Most AU fans, and def not anyone under the age of 30, had ever heard of him, unless they followed Georgia Southern or their opponents. After just 3 seasons at Georgia, scores of AU fans suddenly now realize he’s an alum and now want him hired. He had zero clout when he was hired at Georgia.

Cadillac has had clout, College AND Pro, for 14+ years, so light years a head start over McGee. Everyone nationwide knows who Cadillac is.

Yes, Cadillac will get into most living rooms because of the school he now coaches for. Because of his name, he will get into ANY living room he wants. 

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

He had zero clout when he was hired at Georgia.

He had spent 2 years as the RB coach at Southern and the 2nd year as the interim HC. For both of those years, he coached Matt Breida to 1400+ yard seasons. He had a MUCH more significant college football resume than Caddy. For starters, he had one at all.

Thing is, nobody said he had "clout" when he was hired at uga. He's got "clout" now. And, once again, you only make my point when you bring his name up. 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, keesler said:

Bottom line .. Horton wasn’t getting it done in recruiting. Neither was an OC calling plays under Gus. I like the two moves he made. Would much rather have a new HC, but given Gus was retained, I like the two hires. Doesn’t change my prediction of 6-6 this season, but if we’re stuck with Gus, I like the two hires. 

When you consider that Carnell only had a week or so, he did an AEWSOME job in recruiting our 2nd RB, Mark Antony Richards. Way to go Carnell.

8 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

When you consider that Carnell only had a week or so, he did an AEWSOME job in recruiting our 2nd RB, Mark Antony Richards. Way to go Carnell.

Was he lead recruiting him?

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, auburn4ever said:

Hiring Cadillac was an awesome hire. Too we couldn't have had a splash hire for OC/QB coach.

We might have, time will tell!

Archived