Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't true. This staff has tagged teamed most of the top prospects on the board. Not even sure that there is a "assigned" territory anymore. Per our coaches. Steele isn't really "assigned" Mobile anymore. More of a "team" approach. 

KN says those are the territories that Caddy is responsible for. Why wouldn’t they carry over from Horton’s responsibilities.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

KN says those are the territories that Caddy is responsible for. Why wouldn’t they carry over from Horton’s responsibilities.

It’s possible the teaming up info has not gotten to Keith or his sources.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe but all I can tell you is what I've seen and been told. I can say with 100% certain that multiple coaches are calling on one recruit. There isn't a coach "assigned" to Mobile. More of a team approach. Maybe there will be a coach assigned to a territory for the high schools? 

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe but all I can tell you is what I've seen and been told. I can say with 100% certain that multiple coaches are calling on one recruit. There isn't a coach "assigned" to Mobile. More of a team approach. Maybe there will be a coach assigned to a territory for the high schools? 

There should be a team approach. Everyone needs a robin to tbeir batman. A less handsome but witty wingman. It’s possible coaches that are primary to the territory are only doing logistical work like scheduling visits and calling HS coaches. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Not to cause an argument, but I think over the last few years Horton hasn't been doing it.  I think WDE alluded to it a few days ago when he said Cadillac was already visiting the top 2020 RB recruit, and said something along the lines of "Horton wouldn't do that" or something like that.  I think he said that in this thread.

Yeah, this has kind of gone away from the point I was trying to make, which I share responsibility for. (Recurring theme.)

I don't believe that any RB coach at Auburn who puts forth the effort to pursue elite running backs will have trouble getting through the front door, and I don't think that a lack of clout has compromised our RB recruiting under Gus.

And this is where I have to reiterate that my thoughts on our RB recruiting in general do not reflect my thoughts about the guys currently on the roster. 

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

who is or was assigned to the Bham area? E do you recall?

In terms of the high schools there...Garner.

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe there will be a coach assigned to a territory for the high schools?

Makes perfect sense.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We were in on those guy because our position coaches, Luper, Trooper and Thig were elite recruiters. Gus was actually helping with Dyer and his rep as a wide open OC was a major draw to those players. Caddy can be one of those.  Gene was not a bad recruiting HC and was good around recruits. 

Thank you for accurately detailing and confirming my point. 

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We were in on those guy because our position coaches, Luper, Trooper and Thig were elite recruiters. Gus was actually helping with Dyer and his rep as a wide open OC was a major draw to those players. Caddy can be one of those.  Gene was not a bad recruiting HC and was good around recruits. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Thank you for accurately detailing and confirming my point. 

So if your point was that it takes elite recruiting to get into the top 5 of elite recruits, then cool. Of course. It would be crazy for anybody to disagree with you about that. I certainly didn't. 

What you said, though, was that Caddy's name recognition- like Luper's "clout", which he didn't actually have a ton of in 2010- would get him in front doors.

There is no correlation whatsoever between Caddy's name getting him an initial meeting and guys like the 2010 crew actually getting Dyer to sign with us. Don't forget, those are the same guys who came up with Tiger Prowl and Big Cat Weekend. Those guys lived for that sh...tuff. Trooper Taylor got Reuben Foster to tattoo Auburn on his arm, for crying out loud. And like WDE said, those guys were also aided by the perception of Auburn's offense and Gene giving them a hand. 

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Horton had not gone and visited in home with all of the top backs in this class. Maybe he went by the school but I'm not sure he did that with all. 

And there’s our problem with the last 5 classes and others we’ve missed out on. 

I recall Cadillac himself was committed to Tennessee until Tubbs took his entire offensive staff to Cadillac’s home, not just his school. Dye went to Bo’s home too. That’s a great example of how you land top recruits. And that’s what I expect Cadillac will do with his recruits. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So if your point was that it takes elite recruiting to get into the top 5 of elite recruits, then cool. Of course. It would be crazy for anybody to disagree with you about that. I certainly didn't. 

What you said, though, was that Caddy's name recognition- like Luper's "clout", which he didn't actually have a ton of in 2010- would get him in front doors.

There is no correlation whatsoever between Caddy's name getting him an initial meeting and guys like the 2010 crew actually getting Dyer to sign with us. Don't forget, those are the same guys who came up with Tiger Prowl and Big Cat Weekend. Those guys lived for that sh...tuff. Trooper Taylor got Reuben Foster to tattoo Auburn on his arm, for crying out loud. And like WDE said, those guys were also aided by the perception of Auburn's offense and Gene giving them a hand. 

Never said Dyer’s commitment was a result of Luper and Trooper. What I did infer was those two were the major factor why we were in Lattimore’s and Seastrunk’s Top 2 .. even with the long-time committal of Dyer.

Clout can be earned in a variety of different ways. Obviously, Cadillac earned his on the field. Luper and Trooper earned their’s on the recruiting trail. Regardless of how you earn it, clout gets you in doors. The name Auburn got Horton in some doors. His clout, which he has none, certainly did not. 

To trade out Horton with tons of experience for Cadillac’s lack of experience, IMO, is initially a wash solely because of his clout.

Now, Cadillac AND the name Auburn can have a dramatic effect on recruiting, especially if he hangs with us for several years.  

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Never said Dyer’s commitment was a result of Luper and Trooper. What I did infer was those two were the major factor why we were in Lattimore’s and Seastrunk’s Top 2 .. even with the long-time committal of Dyer.

Clout can be earned in a variety of different ways. Obviously, Cadillac earned his on the field. Luper and Trooper earned their’s on the recruiting trail. Regardless of how you earn it, clout gets you in doors. The name Auburn got Horton in some doors. His clout, which he has none, certainly did not. 

To trade out Horton with tons of experience for Cadillac’s lack of experience, IMO, is initially a wash solely because of his clout.

Now, Cadillac AND the name Auburn can have a dramatic effect on recruiting, especially if he hangs with us for several years.  

Mostly agree.

I'll only counter that Horton has DMac, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Tre Mason, CAP, Barber and KJ under his belt. That's not Dell McGee clout but it's clout. 

Recruits for the 2019 signing class were toddlers in '04 when Caddy played ball for Auburn.  Parent's will know and recognize him, but AUBURN has enough clout to get our crew into any doors they want to enter.  Getting in the door ain't the problem. 

To actually sign the top talent, Gus has got to get this offense back on track and keep it ranked in the top of the SEC.  The pattern of inconsistency with signs of regression on offense has to stop - this nearly 10 year stretch of AU not putting a single offensive skill player in the 1st round of the draft has to stop.  

What feels like it happened longer ago? Cadillac running roughshod through the SEC or Gus Malzahn having a high flying offense that defenses were scared of?

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What feels like it happened longer ago? Cadillac running roughshod through the SEC or Gus Malzahn having a high flying offense that defenses were scared of?

Yes.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mostly agree.

I'll only counter that Horton has DMac, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Tre Mason, CAP, Barber and KJ under his belt. That's not Dell McGee clout but it's clout. 

Other than DMac, none of those had a lengthy offer list. Plus DMac grew up in Arkansas. Hillis was a FB. CAP was a JUCO recruit. From DMac to present, that’s a 14 year span of classes. If Horton himself had any clout, there would be more names and more prominent ones. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mostly agree.

Tre Mason signed under chizik/ Luper. If you are on recruiting. 

10 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Other than DMac, none of those had a lengthy offer list. Plus DMac grew up in Arkansas. Hillis was a FB. CAP was a JUCO recruit. From DMac to present, that’s a 14 year span of classes. If Horton himself had any clout, there would be more names and more prominent ones. 

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Tre Mason signed under chizik/ Luper. If you are on recruiting. 

I'm talking about guys who Horton put in the NFL. THAT is real clout. The fact that it is squandered in recruiting is a different conversation.

I feel like there might be some confusion about the difference between clout and recruiting acumen. And, of course, Horton has a boss with very strong opinions on who we go after.

17 hours ago, Tiger said:

A better question to ask is which one feels more real?

21 hours ago, keesler said:

Recruits for the 2019 signing class were toddlers in '04 when Caddy played ball for Auburn.  Parent's will know and recognize him, but AUBURN has enough clout to get our crew into any doors they want to enter.  Getting in the door ain't the problem. 

I was a toddler when Pat Sullivan played. In high school, I knew nothing about Sullivan other than he was an Auburn QB legend. That was without youtube. Had he wanted to visit my home to recruit me, he would have been given all the visits he wanted purely because of his clout. Recruits in this era can youtube anyone that ever played significant time in D1A.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I was a toddler when Pat Sullivan played. In high school, I knew nothing about Sullivan other than he was an Auburn QB legend. That was without youtube. Had he wanted to visit my home to recruit me, he would have been given all the visits he wanted purely because of his clout.

The key word in your post is Auburn. 

Not many people other than Auburn fans, older SEC and hardcore CFB fans and Heisman historians knows who Pat Sullivan was. 

If LSU sent anyone to my house wanting to recruit me for any position, I would 100% listen. Is that program set to contend for the West? Do I like them? Are they a Tier 1 elite CFB program? Do I think Ed Orgeron is a good coach or that he'll be there when I graduate? Nope. But still, it's freaking LSU. I'd be an idiot not to take the meeting.

Conversely, if Wyoming sends Cadillac Williams to recruit me for RB and I'm getting offers from legit P5 powerhouses, am I inviting him over for dinner? Sure... if I'm an Auburn fan.

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

Hard to believe we scored a mean 40.875 points and a median 43 points against SEC competition in the 2017 regular season.

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's not Dell McGee clout but it's clout. 

Speaking of Dell McGee, the recruiting god, the ex-CB who had all of one INT his final two seasons at AU, where was he just 4 years ago? That’s right .. Georgia Southern. Where was he just 6 years ago? That’s right .. at AU .. as an analyst.

Point is .. Smart obviously took a chance on an unknown and in a very short time, the ex-CB has become the annointed best RB recruiter in the country. 

But somehow Cadillac, a Top 5 pick as a RB, can’t become a top RB recruiter because he’s also an unknown, a project like McGee was just 4 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I was a toddler when Pat Sullivan played. In high school, I knew nothing about Sullivan other than he was an Auburn QB legend. Had he wanted to visit my home to recruit me, he would have been given all the visits he wanted purely because of his clout. 

I understand where you're coming from.

Auburn has always had the clout to get in the doors of the top talent and Caddy will reinforce that in time........but time is of the essence with this coaching staff.  Auburn has been getting overshadowed and out manned on the recruiting trail, even with seasoned and experienced coaches working the trail.   This coaching staff are collectively on the hottest of seats at the moment and it was at inferno level only 6 weeks ago.

The AU program as been consistent, averaging 4 losses a year.  The AU offense has been inconsistent, and often times incompetent for the level an SEC team must perform.  Until that changes, signing the top talent will continue to be a struggle no matter how many Auburn Legends grace the homes of recruits. 

Archived