Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I LOVE Cadillac, but also agree this seems to be a lazy hire.

That doesn't mean it can't be great. I think what everyone is missing is he was teammates with T-Will. I would bet T-Will can and will teach Carnell a lot about being a great recruiter. 

What you guys mean by lazy hire...? Meaning Gus did not try and just hired a name..or Caddy ain’t gonna do much.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

What you guys mean by lazy hire...? 

It's lazy! Cadillac has never been a college coach. As such, he isn't being sought after by any competing schools, so it's a hire that takes absolutely no effort from Gus. Gus didn't scour the country to try to find a guy with a ton of experience or a proven track record. He just got a former Auburn player who he didn't have to fight for. 

I love the hire. He knows what it takes to make it to the pro's and more importantly his name and career will have recruits signing up! And yes he has limited coaching experience (high school) but still some experience right?

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It's lazy! Cadillac has never been a college coach. As such, he isn't being sought after by any competing schools, so it's a hire that takes absolutely no effort from Gus. Gus didn't scour the country to try to find a guy with a ton of experience or a proven track record. He just got a former Auburn player who he didn't have to fight for. 

It's a shame so many on here don't have a clue what they're talking about.

1 minute ago, baldeagle55 said:

It's a shame so many on here don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Enlighten me, boss man. Did Cadillac have any other job offers from Power 5 schools? 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Thanks I see your point...But maybe he wanted a younger guy and was using a different out the box approach for the hire. I’m just glad he actually played the position...one thing though Gus system has produced many 1000 rushers maybe he just needed someone to relate with the kids of today to bring in more talent. 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Thanks I see your point...But maybe he wanted a younger guy and was using a different out the box approach for the hire. I’m just glad he actually played the position...one thing though Gus system has produced many 1000 rushers maybe he just needed someone to relate with the kids of today to bring in more talent. 

I really do hope it works and I think it could work. But it's honestly just a crapshoot. There's nothing to suggest Caddy will be good or bad at the job. And since we already have so many green coaches (Dillingham is 28, Kodi has virtually no resume, even T-Will is young) it would've been nice to get a proven vet to balance out the staff.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

I had a geology class with Cadillac and Brandon Cox, and Cadillac was as nice and humble of a guy as you'll ever meet. There I was, a random student, and the best RB in the conference wasn't too good to talk to me.

Some younger folks may not realize just how down in the dumps Auburn was after Bowden left. We were hurting bad. When Caddy came to AU it was a like a new energy hit campus. I'm sure he has a learning curve as far as recruiting sales pitch, but he has good support around him. I'm really excited to have him back.

One other thing, Cadillac signed a $30+ million dollar contract when he was drafted, so he's most likely not broke and needing work. Also, he went back and finished his degree after a decade of NFL football. That being said, its obvious his heart and mind are in the right place.

He’s definitely not broke, he managed his money quite well.

Has Cadillac ever been at a school where he had to go out and recruit 4 & 5 * RB's? I have strong mixed feelings about this. This tells me that Gus knows he'll be gone after 2019, so he's just filling out slots on his staff knowing it's one and done.

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Has Cadillac ever been at a school where he had to go out and recruit 4 & 5 * RB's? I have strong mixed feelings about this. This tells me that Gus knows he'll be gone after 2019, so he's just filling out slots on his staff knowing it's one and done.

It tells me the opposite. Gus is not a quitter. He is too stubborn. He thinks he's going to be here forever, so he is hiring Cadillac because he is betting he'll have enough time to see him develop into a good coach. What he should be doing is pulling out all the stops to hire a top-notch staff for this make or break season. 

How do we know Gus didn’t try to bring in an well experienced RB coach? Could it possibly be that some of those top notch coaches are smart enough to know not to jump ship from a stable job to one that can change in the blink of an eye?

Just now, DAG said:

How do we know Gus didn’t try to bring in an well experienced RB coach? Could it possibly be that some of those top notch coaches are smart enough to know not to jump ship from a stable job to one that can change in the blink of an eye?

Literally any coach with college experience has more experience than Cadillac.

Just now, AUght2win said:

Literally any coach with college experience has more experience than Cadillac.

Well you don’t want any coach . You want a top notch coach.  

My take is simple. I cannot be objective about this because I love Cadillac too much. Lazy, great, mediocre... call it whatever you want. Cadillac is back! 

Bottom line, a lot of folks think we’re a 7- or 8-win team regardless. Well, if you’re gonna win seven games, do it with Cadillac prowling the sidelines! At least that will make me smile. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well you don’t want any coach . You want a top notch coach.  

Gus can do whatever he wants, which includes digging his own grave. But given how green our staff is, I do think it would have been wise to add someone with experience. And I'm sure we could have gotten someone.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Gus can do whatever he wants, which includes digging his own grave. But given how green our staff is, I do think it would have been wise to add someone with experience. And I'm sure we could have gotten someone.

Like who? Some of you guys are talking about let’s get the Wisconsin coach lol oh let’s get the coach from tOSU haha what?! Be logical. Maybe Gus did swing for the fences and couldn’t get who he wanted so he opted to get a guy he felt would jive with his direction. Not all experience is good experience. 

I see Cadillac as a good hire. He's knowledgeable. He's experienced as a player. He's young and enthusiastic. And maybe most importantly he's relatable. Sure, he may not have a lot of coaching experience or recruiting experience. It's not like he hasn't been coached or recruited before. He has insight into much of what recruits are looking for. He's been through it before. Welcome aboard, Cadillac! It's good to have you back. WDE!

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Agree he could have gotten someone with more experience and guess we don't know the objective of the hire....or what CW brings to the table that can help the AU program.  

He's basically "been there/done that" at the highest level as far as the RB position is concerned and knows what being successful takes and feels like...

Just now, DAG said:

Like who? Some of you guys are talking about let’s get the Wisconsin coach lol oh let’s get the coach from tOSU haha what?! Be logical. Maybe Gus did swing for the fences and couldn’t get who he wanted so he opted to get a guy he felt would jive with his direction. Not all experience is good experience. 

Bro I haven't named any coach like that. The only thing I know for certain is that Auburn University, an SEC blueblood, can always, under any coach or circumstance, get an experienced (Power 5 or NFL) position coach if they should choose to do so. 

Caddy is a little more than just the average high school coach. Doesn't mean that this is a good hire but he has a lot more credibility than some guy that has only coached high school ball. I'm hoping that this works out if for no other reason than I don't want his AU legacy tarnished in any way. Time will tell. And, we've hired very experienced coaches that proved to be crap and inexperienced guys (T-Will) that have turned out well.

I think it can be a good hire because of her personality and certain brand of charisma

I wouldnt disagree if someone said they wanted a real, experienced option though (IDK what one of those looks like, at the RB position). I think people have a bigger problem with Gus hiring another not very contested, seemingly undesirable candidate at a need position. 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Bro I haven't named any coach like that. The only thing I know for certain is that Auburn University, an SEC blueblood, can always, under any coach or circumstance, get an experienced (Power 5 or NFL) position coach if they should choose to do so. 

I don't think we're a blue blood 

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Caddy is a little more than just the average high school coach. Doesn't mean that this is a good hire but he has a lot more credibility than some guy that has only coached high school ball. I'm hoping that this works out if for no other reason than I don't want his AU legacy tarnished in any way. Time will tell.

Other than doing something dishonest while on the staff......like you know who.. 😡 .….there is nothing to tarnish his record though as I 've noted lately, hiring someone because of his or her AU connection can come back to haunt you if the performance does not measure up.  

Lots of very young coaches out there with big schools these days so it must work if you get the right ones. 

3 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

The vibe here does not seem to be as positive as I thought it might be on the Caddy hiring. Why is that? Honest question. He can speak from experience, Auburn grad, very talented player, NFL player, was coaching at a college talent factory. I have to imagine he knows his Xs and OS.

I don't know anything on his personality and ability to recruit. Is that the concern? 

Because most on here don't have a clue on what they claim to know.

Archived