Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Pretty lukewarm on this hire. Anyone care to tell me why they’re excited for this? 

Former NFL running back that had success in the league for starters 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A loy of the people saying this was a lazy hire point to the fact that he has never coached at college level and has no recruiting experience. All true to a point but if you don't think IMG recruited then you live in a fantasy world. When Kodi was brought in many of the same things were said about him He wouldn't be a good recruiter boy were the people who said that wrong. 

Some people are taking the opposite tack young coach, great college RB, and NFL player that will automatically make him a great recruiter.  

It is way to early to make judgements based on conjecture on both the lazy hire side and the great out of box hire viewpoints. I will give you my appraisal in a couple of years. 

40 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

For starters you need consistency.  Auburn has not put together a string of success in a loooooong time.  Blue blood programs for the most part at one time or another dominated for a number of years.  Unfortunately Auburn will win 11 one year and 7 the next.  We are not consistently good.

I disagree. Being a blueblood is about having a resume of program accomplishments and a history of national relevance. Auburn has that. Three heismans, tons of all americans, healthy amount of SEC and national titles. Consistency would help but we are just as historically consistent as LSU or Florida.

You know what the real sign of a blueblood is? Brand relevance and stadium size. You can't convince me that any school who consistently fills an 80,000+ seat stadium isn't a blueblood. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A loy of the people saying this was a lazy hire point to the fact that he has never coached at college level and has no recruiting experience. All true to a point but if you don't think IMG recruited then you live in a fantasy world. When Kodi was brought in many of the same things were said about him He wouldn't be a good recruiter boy were the people who said that wrong. 

Some people are taking the opposite tack young coach, great college RB, and NFL player that will automatically make him a great recruiter.  

It is way to early to make judgements based on conjecture on both the lazy hire side and the great out of box hire viewpoints. I will give you my appraisal in a couple of years. 

A hire can be lazy and still be successful. It's like how a play call can be stupid but still work. Les Miles made a living out of stupid calls working out (the last second fade route against us in 05, for example). I hope this lazy hire works out too. For the record, I'm excited because I love Cadillac and I want to see him succeed. It's just there's nothing right now to indicate that this is a good idea for a hire. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think it can be a good hire because of her personality and certain brand of charisma

I wouldnt disagree if someone said they wanted a real, experienced option though (IDK what one of those looks like, at the RB position). I think people have a bigger problem with Gus hiring another not very contested, seemingly undesirable candidate at a need position. 

I don't think we're a blue blood 

Idk what an experienced runningbacks coach looks like either. 

If we had hired Ladainian Tomlinson out of some FCS school, many of the same ra-ra'ing this would be scratching their heads. At this point, I don't know that it matters. I'm happy Carnell gets the opportunity to add to his resume but all this hire tells me is Gus is truly a lame duck. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

A hire can be lazy and still be successful. It's like how a play call can be stupid but still work. Les Miles made a living out of stupid calls working out (the last second fade route against us in 05, for example). I hope this lazy hire works out too. For the record, I'm excited because I love Cadillac and I want to see him succeed. It's just there's nothing right now to indicate that this is a good idea for a hire. 

You could be right but a lot of people in the athletic department know Caddy and know his work ethic and they may be gambling on that. A fairly young coach with College and NFL experience and a strong work ethic could turn out  to be a great recruiter. Everything I heard about Caddy in college and the Pro's was how hard he worked at his profession if he did the same as a RB coach at IMG and in his other positions he could turn out to be a great hire. Now that I defended why it might not be a lazy hire I will concede you could be right.  My position remains the same I don't have enough information to say good or bad hire so I want to wait a while an d see how he does before judging.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I actually like the hire.  Yes, I would have made Dell McGee and Curtis Luper my first call, as it appears Gus did..  But I have no reason to believe Cadillac will be anything other than an excellent coach and recruiter just like T-Will and Kodi have turned out to be.

Thank you...

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's lazy! Cadillac has never been a college coach. As such, he isn't being sought after by any competing schools, so it's a hire that takes absolutely no effort from Gus. Gus didn't scour the country to try to find a guy with a ton of experience or a proven track record. He just got a former Auburn player who he didn't have to fight for. 

That former player will fight for AU though.   

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I actually like the hire. 

I cant say I like tbe hire for experience and recruit networking reasons. but I can accept it. If it’s true that Gus reached out to those coaches and struck out, then Caddy being the next option is what Gus had to roll with. IIWII. Caddy is a fan favorite though and most of tbe parents of recruits in the SE will know who Caddy is.

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Former NFL running back that had success in the league for starters 

1 hour ago, aujohnson said:

That’ll never sell to kids!😎

Exactly,  Porter will be baffled on how he can sell this to future recruits.  Just no meat on the bone,  to work with..  lol.    

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I cant say I like tbe hire for experience and recruit networking reasons. but I can accept it. If it’s true that Gus reached out to those coaches and struck out, then Caddy being the next option is what Gus had to roll with. IIWII. Caddy is a fan favorite though and most of tbe parents of recruits in the SE will know who Caddy is.

I think his recruiting network is larger than we think.  He is a known name in Alabama, no doubt and pretty much every HS coach will welcome him.  He certainly is known in FL just by the fact of where he coached.    Let’s also not forget,  IMG essentially recruits nationally for HS talent  

Also,  being at IMG,  I am sure as a mentor to his players,  he heard and learned many of the current college coaches pitch lines etc. to his players.    I imagine many of the players share with their coaches what they are being told on visits etc and are seeking guidance from their coaches and parents.  Caddy is seeing that from an excellent view point and I imagine can take what he saw worked and did not work with all the coaches that recruit and visit the IMG sidelines. 

Good Lord,  how hard can it be to coach the running backs?   And if all he does is get us IMG’s number one running back every year, he’s worth every penny. My goodness, he could bust off a long run better than any Auburn running back I can remember

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Share the 5 strips my friend so we can hallucinate with you.   the fact is nobody wants to work with our coach because he went from genius to moron faster than maybe any coach in history but still thinks he is a genius.  If not for contract, he is long gone.

4 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Good Lord,  how hard can it be to coach the running backs?   And if all he does is get us IMG’s number one running back every year, he’s worth every penny. My goodness, he could bust off a long run better than any Auburn running back I can remember

I think a good position coach is highly underrated. Look at T-Will. The guy flat out transforms his players. He made Deshaun Davis, a 3 star with no size, into an All-SEC player and leader. Since he arrived on the plains, linebacker play is night and day different. And it's not like T-Will is working with much more talent than the previous LB coach had.

The players are in meetings and practice with these guys all the freaking time. You can't tell me their ability to develop and coach the position means nothing.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I disagree. Being a blueblood is about having a resume of program accomplishments and a history of national relevance. Auburn has that. Three heismans, tons of all americans, healthy amount of SEC and national titles. Consistency would help but we are just as historically consistent as LSU or Florida.

You know what the real sign of a blueblood is? Brand relevance and stadium size. You can't convince me that any school who consistently fills an 80,000+ seat stadium isn't a blueblood. 

A blueblood is a school that  (1) fills stadiums, (2) overpays coaches,   (3)  ignores the NCAA,  (4) has media fawning over it  and  (5) can count of favoritism from refs when it's crucial to their success.   We only get two out of five...

I’ve heard really good things about caddy from folks who have met him. He even showed up to the Tampa auburn club for the iron bowl game and was super nice to all the auburn fans from what I heard. Happy to shake hands and take pictures with the kids. That shows me he is a good person. I know he was one heck of a running back when he could play. So I like the chances of this being a good hire

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Uh, Not taking sides to this debate because it's pointless, but South Carolina consistently sells out an 80,000+ seat stadium. 

Good hire IMO giving the current circumstances with the AU football program. What proven RB coach wants to attach his career to the current Gus bus. 

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus just gave more reason for more people to laugh their heads off at Malzahn and the Auburn people who's kept him while other teams keep winning championships and championships. The people who really run this football program never wants to be at the upper level where other winning teams are. Their happy with the way things have been going for years and years.

And yet we also continually say stupid a** s*** like we want Tracy Rocker as our DC, lol

26 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Some folks would complain if you hung’em with a brand new rope!  

You are so right, weagle.

Some of the yahoos on this board never fail to amaze me.  My query to those who are questioning whether Mr. Carnell Williams will be successful as a college running back coach is this: what are you smoking? 

Let me give a few basic facts:

1.  Fact 1-The man played in the NFL for 7 years. Did he learn a few X's and O's about the running back position during his career? Yeah, probably a whole lot more than some coach who may have labored away as an assistant at State U somewhere.

2. Fact 2 - The man has made millions (signed for $31 million with Tampa Bay) yet humbly came back to his alma mater to finish his degree. Why is he even coaching? Probably because he loves the game and wants to help young men who share that passion.

3. Fact 3 - The man has learned to work hard and persevere against extreme difficulties. At Auburn, he broke his collarbone. He came back. The next year, he broke his ankle. Yet he came back and set an Auburn single season record with 17  touchdowns. He could have left for the NFL after his junior season but returned for his senior year and helped lead Auburn to a perfect 13-0 season, setting the Auburn career record for rushing attempts and touchdowns.  Later after a sensational rookie year in the NFL, he suffered a injury that nagged him throughout his second year. He worked his way back, but then in his third year he tore the patellar tendon in his right knee. This was a devastating injury that many thought would end his career. But the man went to work. He worked long and hard and went through the arduous rehab and came back the next year. However, he then tore the patellar tendon in his left knee. Again he went through the surgery and all of the the hard and painful work of rehab necessary to get back on the field. He played again in 2009 and was second to Tom Brady for Comeback Player of the Year. He went on to play two more years in the NFL: 1 for the Bucs and 1 for the Rams. Can he recruit? Yeah, I think he can damn recruit. Recruiting is nothing but hard work. And one thing this man, this Auburn man, has shown me is that he knows how to work hard and how to persevere and overcome in even the most difficult of circumstances.

So complain about the "brand new rope" if you want but don't worry about whether Carnell can do the job. You can put your trust in this man, and if you can't do that, you can at least trust the proof of all the hard work he has shown in the past.

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Most good coaches were very marginal players.  They are good coaches because they had to do all of the little things to try to compete while playing.  The great players for the most part didn't have to be as much of a student of the game.  

This is a really good point.

Archived