Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I mean this with respect,. But all your truly saying is Cadillac is an idiot.   If you do not have faith in Gus,. Atleast have a little in Cadillac.  

Not in any way, shape or form. 

I would think that every single HIGH SCHOOL RUNNING BACKS COACH making chump change, if offered the RB Coach job at Auburn for hundreds of thousands of dollars regardless if they need the money or not take that offer.   Turning down the offer would be idiotic.  I love Caddy, hope everything works out.  It is also a sign of how far Gus has fallen because this is a probably a HR for him.   Also most former players will jump at the opportunity to coach at their Alma Mater, regardless of situation.  Do you wanna be the RB coach at wherever university, or high school in this case, or going back to being Auburn Legend and RB Coach?  

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would think that every single HIGH SCHOOL RUNNING BACKS COACH making chump change, if offered the RB Coach job at Auburn for hundreds of thousands of dollars regardless if they need the money or not take that offer.   Turning down the offer would be idiotic.  I love Caddy, hope everything works out.  It is also a sign of how far Gus has fallen because this is a probably a HR for him.   Also most former players will jump at the opportunity to coach at their Alma Mater, regardless of situation.  Do you wanna be the RB coach at wherever university, or high school in this case, or going back to being Auburn Legend and RB Coach?  

Yup. No matter how this season goes, Caddy just leveled up big time. 

Damn, some folks around here just wanna snipe at anyone who prefers objectivity to mindless sunshine vomit. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

2 weeks ago, apparently.

1 minute ago, SphyNxXx said:

I think their season starts in a couple weeks so I hope so.

Aw man, I really need to pay more attention.

Bummer for them to lose Caddy now. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aw man, I really need to pay more attention.

Bummer for them to lose Caddy now. 

Looking at the roster, they got Quan Bray, Chris Davis, Ryan White, Robinson Therazie, Trevon Reed and Stephen Roberts.    

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Looking at the roster, they got Quan Bray, Chris Davis, Ryan White, Robinson Therazie, Trevon Reed and Stephen Roberts.    

That would be so cool for those guys and so many others if this league sticks. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Last off season was the time to make big hires, since he had the security of a new big fat contract.  Woodson was cool, but Grimes was extremely meh; and Horton's position should have been dealt with.

I'm still kind of shocked Gus was even able to attract Dillingham this year.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I've liked what I've seen from his tweets. Obviously it means little at this point but until the results start becoming evident, all we can hope for is him saying the right things and he's doing that. 

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Last off season was the time to make big hires, since he had the security of a new big fat contract.  Woodson was cool, but Grimes was extremely meh; and Horton's position should have been dealt with.

I'm still kind of shocked Gus was even able to attract Dillingham this year.

Agree.  I do consider Woodson a Steele hire.

I just hope that practice time allows for more coaching up time than offense training time for Dilly.   If not his talents are being wasted.

The biggest flaws of Gus' practice schedule that I have been told for years is the limited amount of quality time on skill training especially with his QB's.  That is why every high school QB has the same fundamentals as when they stepped foot on campus as a freshman.  Same footwork, same release, same shoulder turn, same grip, etc.

I think this is why people have such high hopes for Nix, because his dad knows this stuff.   It would be great to have the QBs spend a week or two at the Nix residence and have him work on there mechanics if Gus is not gonna let Dillingham do this or even if he does..

Funny reading the complaints about Caddy and his new job and guess the bitc****  is mostly an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Gus …..and not caddy.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Funny reading the complaints about Caddy and his new job and guess the bitc****  is mostly an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Gus …..and not caddy.  

Bingo

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All criticism of Gus is not "bitching" or a "cheap shot". 

"Michigan fans are skeptical of the high school RB coach with no college coaching experience that Jim Harbaugh just hired." Doubt you would call that bitching, a cheap shot or otherwise noteworthy. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Michigan fans are skeptical of the high school RB coach with no college coaching experience that Jim Harbaugh just hired." Doubt you would call that bitching, a cheap shot or otherwise noteworthy. 

Most of it is....and in this case I could say it is....JMO     Michigan fans are not happy about JH's inability to beat his top rivals …and his salary.....sound familiar?   So their complaints are probably also an indirect way to gripe about JimH.   

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Most of it is....and in this case I could say it is....JMO     Michigan fans are not happy about JH's inability to beat his top rivals …and his salary.....sound familiar?   So their complaints are probably also an indirect way to gripe about JimH.   

I made that up. I was just using Michigan as an example. That said, Michigan fans should be upset with Harbaugh's performance.  

As for the complaints about Gus making this hire, they haven't been indirect or using Caddy as a cheap shot. They're very direct criticisms of Gus. If the board is as mean and unfair as you frequently claim it to be, then why would anyone beat around the bush? Nobody can criticize Caddy because he has absolutely no track record. That's the whole thing. 

And you can say that, sure. Free country. 

It won't take long before we know if this was good hire or a great hire. But for now lets give C-Will a chance and see what he can do. We don't know that he will not be the next Dell McGee that everybody was wishing for, who knows in a couple of years we think he is better.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When it occurs ad nauseam in every football thread that you’re in, the persistent criticisms swing toward “bitching.” 

As I said earlier, Gus struck out on better RB coaches and ended up with Caddy, a fan favorite and a name already known in most recruit’s homes. No sunshine pumping, no redundancy of Gus bitching. Sure it would be nice if our program was stable enough to attract a top dog, but it’s not, and it hasn’t been stable since the season ended. Nothing we can do about it.  

Look, I loved Caddy as a player and classmate.  I was at AU the exact years he was and had him in a few classes.  Genuinely a nice guy.

But if you aren't a little concerned with this hire, you're only seeing sunshine and rainbows.  He's never coached or recruited at this level, and I'm not even talking SEC.  College people.  He's never been anything more than a GA on a college football staff.  Maybe it works out and he does develop into that monster recruiter people think he can be, but I don't think Auburn is the correct place for developing coaches.  Had he spent a few years in the Sun Belt, MAC, or even an FCS school, I'd feel a whole lot better about this.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He's never been anything more than a GA on a college football staff.

He was RB’s coach at Henderson State. I’m not sure what he did at West Georgia. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Look, I loved Caddy as a player and classmate.  I was at AU the exact years he was and had him in a few classes.  Genuinely a nice guy.

But if you aren't a little concerned with this hire, you're only seeing sunshine and rainbows.  He's never coached or recruited at this level, and I'm not even talking SEC.  College people.  He's never been anything more than a GA on a college football staff.  Maybe it works out and he does develop into that monster recruiter people think he can be, but I don't think Auburn is the correct place for developing coaches.  Had he spent a few years in the Sun Belt, MAC, or even an FCS school, I'd feel a whole lot better about this.

I agree. I hope it works out well for us. 

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Super duper uncomplicated.

It's crazy how folks suddenly pretend that experience doesn't matter- for coaches or players- when we choose to forego it at a particular spot on the staff or roster. 

Edit: Not saying you have to have it, but it is an almost universal truth that experience is preferred. 

I like the new blood mentality versus the usual hire of re-tread coaches. We weren't going to steal any of the RB coaches that have been beating us for these top backs so if the choice is between some guy who coached at North Texas (rando example) vs an Auburn legend with coaching experience i'll take the Auburn legend. Besides it has tended to work out well for us when we have hired former players. I don't think playing at AU should be a requirement for the job but i definitely consider it a bonus. Its easy to sell what you love and from everything i know caddy loves AU. 

Archived