Freeze wanted to come to AU

AUght2win

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:07 AM, auskip07 said:

Yeah  remember all those deals saban wanted that were nixed by bama university bureaucrats?    

What you imply by your comment says nothing good about Saban or the PTBs that are supposed to run the place. 

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

are you saying the SEC office would have nixed the deal for freeze to work with Gus? 

I do not know that for fact.  I do know OleMiss was still serving the bowl ban, scholarship reductions, limited recruiting visits by their staff at the time Gus would've been pursuing Freeze.  Also, at that time rumors coming out of AU were that Gus had been "neutered" relative to new hires for his staff and wouldn't have had the $$ a hire like Freeze would've demanded. 

The SEC office (Sankey and his constituents) did not like idea of another SEC school employing a former SEC HC who was served a show cause while leaving his program in shambles with a LOIC tag on them.  

Freeze in his Redemption Tour made comments that he was basically being black-balled in a sense due to his personal transgressions and he felt it was unjustified.  At any rate, Freeze is exactly where he needs to be as he will be forgiven and washed clean of his sins at Liberty and he'll be able to minister and witness to the masses. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

What you imply by your comment says nothing good about Saban or the PTBs that are supposed to run the place. 

What i was implying was the lack of control that gus has on the football program in contrast to what saban has.   Whether or not that would pay dividends like it has at UA is hard to tell but having your hands tied doesnt help either. 

21 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

What i was implying was the lack of control that gus has on the football program in contrast to what saban has.   Whether or not that would pay dividends like it has at UA is hard to tell but having your hands tied doesnt help either. 

IMHO, Anyone in the SEC that wanted Hugh Freeze on staff had their hands tied by the conference.  For all of Freeze's "Jimmy Swaggert" grandstanding on his Redemption Tour, and his social media antics in the wake of his termination, he still has too much baggage to make it back into the SEC coaching ranks.  I don't recall any other P5 program even pursuing his services as a HC for the last 2 yrs.  For the SEC to nix Saban and strongly advise him to pass on Freeze, says a lot.  Whether Gus received the same rebuff from the SEC, IDK?

Also IMO, Gus has had total control of his program for years.  He's brought in his players, his coaches, he's run his schemes, he's called his offense and results 100% his.  Those results have now firmly placed him in a do or die situation heading into the 2019 season - supposedly he has to put goods or be gone! 

I must say, I continue to have my doubts that the same exact group of power people who wouldn't fork out a $31.7million buyout in 2018 will suddenly be willing to pony up $26.6 million in 2019 for the same HC that's turns in an average 4 losses a year.  This season will be interesting to say the least.

58 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Every employee of a state university has limits on what he or she can do or who can be hired by the school.  

JMO but never heard Gus complain that he is hampered by the school in his ability to do his job.  And,  considering there are hundreds of assistant coaches available to be on staff,  I can't imagine anyone making a serious case that his inability to hire Freeze was an unfair restriction.   JMO but hiring him would be an invite of trouble. 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, AU64 said:

JMO but never heard Gus complain that he is hampered by the school in his ability to do his job. 

No coach would ever publicly say that while he was still employed by that school. Even somebody as lacking in PR savvy as Gus. 

It is clear that saban has far more control over his program than Gus has over his. And that's probably for the best. saban is a far more experienced coach. Gus really has no business even being a head coach of a P5 program unless he accepts significant input from others while he learns the ropes. That he has chosen not to explains almost all of our problems these last few years. 

(Actually, the defense has gotten better because he has made good hires of experienced guys and let them do their jobs. Exact opposite story on offense.)

On 1/25/2019 at 2:17 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don’t mean to be a ass here but Freeze was not blocked. He took the Liberty job instead on the AU OC job. 

Why would he lie, then? “I’d be lying if I was saying there wasn’t one that I really, really have always kind of thought about and dreamed about and all those things,” Freeze said. "But for whatever reason, at this time, some things don’t work out on other people’s ends.”

That last line in particular is clear that Auburn told him no, or Gus couldn't convince the PTB. He even ends the interview talking about how excited he was to be a coordinator. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, jared52 said:

If you believe al.com spin on AU news stories, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I’d like to offload. 

I seriously worry about some of you guys, labeling everything as "fake news". Dude, these are direct quotes from a radio interview. 

Are you that tin-foil paranoid or just too lazy to use reason?

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I seriously worry about some of you guys, labeling everything as "fake news". Dude, these are direct quotes from a radio interview. 

Are you that tin-foil paranoid or just too lazy to use reason?

Nope, I’ve read enough al dot com to know they have great interest in spinning stories to make AU look bad. It’s just catering to their readership. As for the issue at hand, I believe guys on this forum before I believe al dot com. 

44 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Nope, I’ve read enough al dot com to know they have great interest in spinning stories to make AU look bad. It’s just catering to their readership. As for the issue at hand, I believe guys on this forum before I believe al dot com. 

You honestly believe that al.com is fabricating quotes from a public radio interview? You understand how crazy that sounds, right?

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You honestly believe that al.com is fabricating quotes from a public radio interview? You understand how crazy that sounds, right?

The quote is fine, but they then took that and opined on what it meant.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, AUght2win said:

Why would he lie, then? “I’d be lying if I was saying there wasn’t one that I really, really have always kind of thought about and dreamed about and all those things,” Freeze said. "But for whatever reason, at this time, some things don’t work out on other people’s ends.”

That last line in particular is clear that Auburn told him no, or Gus couldn't convince the PTB. He even ends the interview talking about how excited he was to be a coordinator. 

You sure he just wasn't making demands that Auburn wasn't willing to acquiesce to? There's a difference between "blocking" the hire and not laying the university prostrate before another bad contract, especially for a guy just starting his rehab tour.

Speaking of, Freeze can say he thought and dreamed and all that, but this is also a married guy that called hookers on the company phone while yelling up Jesus everywhere else. Do we really care what his exact words were?

I honestly don't care either way. Just pointing out that logic might not be choosing sides in this one. 

I won't lie, I may question CGM's most recent hires for his offense, but I'm happy as can be that Hugh Freeze found a home at "Jerry Falwell U" it's exactly where he needs to be.

Archived