Caddy The Recruiter

ellitor

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Are you assuming that he is gonna be doing that all by himself....?     JMO but the guy seems to have the personality needed and he's a college grad and knows AU....seems he can take the message to the prospects and give them an honest picture of what AU has to offer. I see no reason for him to be "eaten alive" by any coach in a comparable position in the SEC or elsewhere. He just needs to do the work.  

You have to know how to sell yourself & your school. Just bringing credentials with you is not enough on the recruiting trail. As WDE has alluded to several times given Caddy's personality it's something he will have to grow in to. And yes, having guys like Garner, Steele, T-Will, Woodson, & Porter to watch & work with  would be a big part of that development.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, CR said:

That ignore feature is awesome. I'm enjoying the board much more since i started using it. 

The ignore feature is something I don't understand. Isn't this similar to turning the news off because you don't like what's going on in the world? "See no evil" type of thinking? Anyway, if someone whose views I don't respect posts, it's easy enough for me to scroll right on by. To each his own, I suppose.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

You have to know how to sell yourself & your school. Just bringing credentials with you is not enough on the recruiting trail. As WDE has alluded to several times given Caddy's personality it's something he will have to grow in to. And yes, having guys like Garner, Steele, T-Will, Woodson, & Porter to watch & work with  would be a big part of that development.

True...but having spent a good portion of my life in sales/marketing....I understand the process. ...but as the old commercial went..."ask the man who owns one". and that works pretty well. 

To my understanding, a lot of recruiting is just being a people person. Is Caddy going to ask how Grandma's arthritis is? How was lil bro's birthday? Is he going to ask Momma Recruit to text her fried chicken recipe to Mrs. 'Lac? @ellitor talks about relationships and that's the kind of stuff that TWill, Troop and a lot of other great recruiters are great at along with being able to sell the school as a former Auburn great. saban is reportedly GREAT at that stuff. 

Caddy might be able to do that, but he hasn't done it yet. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but having spent a good portion of my life in sales/marketing....I understand the process. ...but as the old commercial went..."ask the man who owns one". and that works pretty well. 

Still not everyone is going to be good at it, especially right off the bat. For example I graduated from AU & love AU as much as anyone but I would be a bad recruiter at least for some time because salesman is not a natural part of my personality.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Still not everyone is going to be good at it, especially right off the bat. For example I graduated from AU & love AU as much as anyone but I would be a bad recruiter at least for some time because salesman is not a natural part of my personality.

Tracy Rocker. An even more accomplished Auburn great and far more proven position coach than Caddy. Will always be able to get work but will never be confused for a great recruiter. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Tracy Rocker. An even more accomplished Auburn great and far more proven position coach than Caddy. Will always be able to get work but will never be confused for a great recruiter. 

Yup. Partly because he doesn't like it or playing the recruiting game.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Rocker, as @McLoofus says, is a great position coach and somewhere along the line, coaching the position has taken a back seat to recruiting.  I would guess that is why Rocker prefers the pro game.  If you’re not a good motivational fit for the position, it’s futile to press yourself into it and Rocker understands this concept.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Rocker, as @McLoofus says, is a great position coach and somewhere along the line, coaching the position has taken a back seat to recruiting.  I would guess that is why Rocker prefers the pro game.  If you’re not a good motivationa fit for the position, it’s futile to press yourself into it and Rocker understands this concept.

Exactly! It has been reported a number of times.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's a learned skill as you note...but basically the product makes the sale so it's important to "know (and sell) your product"..... and ask for the sale.

BUT....I guess in football recruiting sometimes the salesman is selling himself or some person on the staff....which is why kids are shocked when the salesman takes off to another school.    Seems to me that AU recruiters sell Auburn which is maybe why when a coach leaves or is under the gun,  the player usually sticks with Auburn. 

To a great extent....selling depends on persistence ….doing the work, making the follow-ups, etc.   If Caddy has the work ethic for the job, he should do well. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It's a learned skill as you note...but basically the product makes the sale so it's important to "know (and sell) your product"..... and ask for the sale.

BUT....I guess in football recruiting sometimes the salesman is selling himself or some person on the staff....which is why kids are shocked when the salesman takes off to another school.    Seems to me that AU recruiters sell Auburn which is maybe why when a coach leaves or is under the gun,  the player usually sticks with Auburn. 

To a great extent....selling depends on persistence ….doing the work, making the follow-ups, etc.   If Caddy has the work ethic for the job, he should do well. 

Recruiting doesn't just fit in the parameters you are posting. There is more to it than that. That's the last thing I'm saying on this discussion.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Are you assuming that he is gonna be doing that all by himself....?     JMO but the guy seems to have the personality needed and he's a college grad and knows AU....seems he can take the message to the prospects and give them an honest picture of what AU has to offer. I see no reason for him to be "eaten alive" by any coach in a comparable position in the SEC or elsewhere. He just needs to do the work.  

No but at times he will be

and he will be eaten alive by a some SEC coaches for a time.......... but knowing Caddy he will be a quick learner and as you say "needs to do the work" aka experience

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yeah.He can recruit when he wants to though. Just doesn’t want to.And can’t blame him. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

It's tricky business AU64.  Hell, only 4-5 weeks ago we had our own well seasoned, experienced recruiter's working the trails and their heads were spinning like a top because they were trying to "sell" Auburn while media reports were thwarting every effort with the dysfunctional Leath/Harbert/Malzhan contract negotiations.  Tweeters were running wild with their inside sources and folks "close to the AD", with the Prez on a trip to DC.:dead:

Now Auburn has flip flopped the staff with Gus as the official OC/play caller, a couple of young inexperienced (at the SEC level) QB/RB coaches have been added to the mix.  Our own HC has a red hot arse going into a season.  He has a green QB and the heat coming down on him to out perform the '18 season looms large.  IF he can't show instant improvement (with an absolute brutal schedule) then we go right back through the same exact drama with more rumors of "the money's there", "Boosters have reached out to Bob Stoops", "reduced contract", etc.

It's hard as hell for a well seasoned recruiter who's been in the SEC for decades to sell Auburn, Caddy will be on training wheels for sure and so will Dilly to an extent.

Archived