Tigers Taking the Track

Zeek

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/01/auburn-freshmen-anthony-schwartz-shaun-shivers-set-for-college-track-debuts.html

Auburn freshmen Anthony Schwartz, Shaun Shivers set for college track debuts
Updated Jan 24, 12:10 PM; Posted Jan 24, 12:10 PM
By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
Two of the fastest freshmen in the country are set to make their college track and field debuts this weekend.

Auburn wide receiver Anthony Schwartz and running back Shaun Shivers will compete for the first time when the Tigers head to the Bob Pollock Invitiational in Clemson, S.C., on Friday and Saturday. They’ll be joined by sophomore jumper and football teammate Noah Igbinoghene, who will make his season debut as well.

“This weekend I’m planning on opening up Anthony, Shaun and Noah,” Auburn track and field coach Ralph Spry said. “Those three guys, they’ve been itching to go. Shivers and Schwartz have been training for three weeks now, so they’re really looking good. They’ve got a little bit of a track rhythm going, but I think we’ll probably keep it short and sweet with them.”

Schwartz, who had 357 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions to go with 211 rushing yards and five scores as a freshman this season, is the the World Youth record holder in the 100-meter and 200-meter. He was the Gatorade National Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year in 2018, and he won the Florida Class 2A 100m and 200m in record times, 10.07 seconds and 20.41 seconds, respectively. At the U20 World Championships in Finland last summer, he finished second in the 100m (10.22) and helped win gold in the 4x100 relay (38.88) for Team USA.

Shivers, who had 371 rushing yards and three touchdowns as a freshman, was one of the fastest sprinters in Florida during his high school career. He finished second to Schwartz in the 200m (20.92) and third in the 100m (10.39) at the Florida Class 2A state championship meet.

“For Anthony and Shaun -- there’s a transition period (from football to track)," Spry said. “Our biggest thing is just making sure we stay smart, keep them feeling good. Workouts have been going great. This weekend is going to be fun to kind of see where they are. My main thing with those guys is, let’s just go there and compete, see where we are and give us a start point. I think, the way they compete, you’re going to see some pretty good times with those guys.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Three young football guys making their track debut today and tomorrow! Good luck!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

I didn't know Javaris Davis ran track too. Has he always been on the team?

Where did you get Javaris from?  Noah is on the track team, but I don't think Javaris is

25 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Where did you get Javaris from?  Noah is on the track team, but I don't think Javaris is

He's not mentioned in the article, but I'm pretty sure he's on the team. I know I saw a tweet with a picture of him along with the other 3.

JD fast AF. 

Shiv is in the 60m dash

Iggy is in the long jump

Schwartz is in the 60 m dash (different heat than Shiv)

Couldn't find Javaris on the heat sheet

43 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's not mentioned in the article, but I'm pretty sure he's on the team. I know I saw a tweet with a picture of him along with the other 3.

JD fast AF. 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Shiv is in the 60m dash

Iggy is in the long jump

Schwartz is in the 60 m dash (different heat than Shiv)

Couldn't find Javaris on the heat sheet

Apologies, I should have checked the roster before replying. 

Davis was a 10.48 100 guy in high school but I guess either he no longer runs track here or never did. 

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Javaris will be running. He just came out 

Thank you momma worm! Good luck to Shiv today/tomorrow!

Shivers and Schwartz qualify for finals...finished 1 and 4 in the prelims

Iggy tied for first in long jump.....first flight.:)

AS and SS finished first and third in the 60 m dash.....great start to their track careers...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

AS and SS finished first and third in the 60 m dash.....great start to their track careers...

Love how the coach was casually talking about all 3. Awesome job guys!

Looks like Noah I tied for first in broad jump...

7 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Apologies, I should have checked the roster before replying. 

Davis was a 10.48 100 guy in high school but I guess either he no longer runs track here or never did. 

6 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Javaris will be running. He just came out 

I wonder if Eli Stove ever runs track? I know he is fast, but still might be recovering from his injury.

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Love how the coach was casually talking about all 3. Awesome job guys!

Has the coach casually talked about why the sprinters from last years team transferred. There was world class talent on last years sprint team 

AS and SS are the real deal...there is football fast but T and F is a step up in terms of what the competition is like.is

Anthony Schwartz wasted no time in making his mark on the track.

Competing in his first collegiate meet this week at the Bob Pollock Invitational in Clemson, S.C., the Auburn freshman wide receiver/track star took home first in the 60-meter dash. Schwartz finished the 60m final in 6.65 seconds -- 0.16 seconds ahead of second-place finisher Cole Beck of Virginia Tech--while teammate Shaun Shivers placed third in 6.83.

“Anthony looked really good and Shaun ran well," Auburn coach Ralph Spry said. "Their times were very good considering they’ve only had two weeks of training. They’re starting off easy and building into the season. As the season progresses, the training will get better and they will continue to sharpen. Today was just the tip of the iceberg for those two.”

Schwartz' time was two-tenths of a second off the NCAA record and 0.06 seconds slower than his personal record of 6.59 set at the New Balance Nationals Indoors in New York last spring. The freshman speedster took to Twitter on Friday evening vowing to break his personal record in due time.

“It felt good (today), especially the first race back after a few months of football,” Schwartz said. “I felt like I did alright. It was kind of an easy run, but I still have a lot more work to go though.”

While Schwartz and Shivers, both coming off impressive freshman debuts on the football field, finished first and third in the 60m on Friday, sophomore two-sport star Noah Igbinoghene took home second place in the long jump at the Bob Pollock Invitiational. Igbinoghene, who enjoyed a breakout season at cornerback in the fall after switching from wide receiver, enjoyed a jump of 24 feet, 5 inches on his first attempt in the event finals.

Igbinoghene’s long jump tied the mark of event winner Corion Knight, but Igbinoghene fouled on his other five attempts in the finals and took home second.

“Noah had some really good jumps, it’s just unfortunate he fouled on five of six of them,” Spry said. “As I told him, there were a couple jumps that looked like they were over 25 feet, but he just didn’t get the measure. The positive is he knows he can at least cover the distance, and heading into next weekend he should have a lot of confidence.”

The Bob Pollock Invitational continues with Day 2 of events on Saturday.

Very impressed with these guys. These track guys are a different kind of fast. Shivers and Swartz both need more touches next season! 

On 1/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, AU64 said:

Shivers and Schwartz qualify for finals...finished 1 and 4 in the prelims

It was 1 & 3rd prelims....they listed it that way because of the top 2 wins per heat. Shaun ran a 6.79 in prelims 

Archived