Tigers Taking the Track

Zeek

21 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I wonder if Eli Stove ever runs track? I know he is fast, but still might be recovering from his injury.

i wonder if he is still on the roster after spring ball, the wr position is loaded.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2019 at 8:26 PM, auburnphan said:

i wonder if he is still on the roster after spring ball, the wr position is loaded.

Stove is the main reason our WR position is loaded. Without checking, I'd guess he's the most experienced and productive WR we have returning. And he's probably the closest thing we have to another Ryan Davis. He will have a spot on the team unless he just doesn't want to play football for some reason.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Stove is the main reason our WR position is loaded. Without checking, I'd guess he's the most experienced and productive WR we have returning. And he's probably the closest thing we have to another Ryan Davis. He will have a spot on the team unless he just doesn't want to play football for some reason.

3* Ja'Varrius Johnson says hi.

13 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

3* Ja'Varrius Johnson says hi.

I'm a huge fan of 3* Ja'Varrius Johnson and you can look back through 3* Ja'Varrius Johnson's thread for evidence of that- in fact, I might have been the first person to compare 3* Ja'Varrius Johnson to Ryan Davis on this forum- but 3* Ja'Varrius Johnson has never played a down of college football in his life. 

And if I come across as a smart ass, I'm 100% being one because I get chapped by the "says hi" thing. And I just found out that my car that's in the shop isn't going to be ready today and that's all kinds of problematic for me. War Damn 3* Ja'Varrius Johnson. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And I just found out that my car that's in the shop isn't going to be ready today and that's all kinds of problematic for me.

ACE certified mechanics say hi.:P

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/01/100-percent-track-for-auburn-football-stars-track-field-isnt-just-a-2nd-sport.html

‘100 percent track’: For Auburn football stars, T&F isn’t viewed as 2nd sport
Updated Jan 31, 12:22 PM; Posted Jan 31, 12:20 PM
By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com
It was just about three days after Auburn’s Music City Bowl win that Anthony Schwartz returned to his home in Florida with a whole new set of priorities.

The freshman had just run for a touchdown in AU’s 63-14 bowl victory on Dec. 28. He’d just finished an unexpectedly good premier campaign that saw him rise from relative unknown to one of the faces of the future for the football program.

But that was three days ago, and at the outset of 2019, he was now the face of the future for a different team — possibly a team where his future is even more promising — with track & field.

Schwartz was the No. 10 receiver prospect nationally by ESPN out of high school. But he was probably the best track prospect in the country, setting youth world records, with a continued eye on the 2020 Olympics.

So the two-sport star returned home, put football out of sight and out of mind, and started training with his high school running coach to get ready to showcase something totally new.

“You can’t just go straight into running full speed, you’ve got to get that condition down, get that base down," Schwartz. "It’s kind of like, how when you go into any sport, you start off with like a lot of not fast running, just a lot of running.”

Schwartz isn’t the only star football player who’s hanging up the cleats for, well, different cleats. There’s also freshman running back Shaun Shivers, a speedster who is less than a step slower than Schwartz, but is confident he’ll beat his classmate.

There’s DB Noah Igbinoghene, a sophomore jumper, who competed on the T&F team last year, but only in the spring season. Lastly there’s junior CB Javaris Davis, who is actually joining the track team for the first time in his third year. He likely won’t compete until the spring, since he hasn’t done track since high school. He joined the team after football coach Gus Malzahn called track coach Ralph Spry to see if his services could be helpful.

“Last year, I was by myself,” Igbinoghene said “So for this year, just to have more guys with me, that’s better of course, because I got my other teammates with me. I think it’s just gonna make us closer. I’ve got another DB in the room, so it’s gonna make us closer.”

Igbinoghene placed second out of 13 competitors in his first meet of the year, recording 7.44 meters in the long jump. Shivers placed fourth in the 60-meter dash, running at 6.72 seconds in the preliminaries, and 6.83 seconds in the finals. Schwartz was the star, winning his collegiate debut in the 60-meter dash. He ran a 6.65 on both occasions.

Igbinoghene said he’d like to compete in the 2020 Olympics, as did Schwartz. For Schwartz, there’s the potential for difficult decisions for his future. Schwartz said he could drop track if he finds that he’s a first-to-third round pick in the NFL Draft at some point.

He was also asked about the possibility of prioritizing track over football, especially if the Olympics are involved — and didn’t rule that out, either. Even head tack coach Ralph Spry acknowledged it would be difficult to compete at the Olympic level, while splitting time at football.

“I haven’t really thought about it yet,” Schwartz said. “I’ve kind of thought about it, but right now I’m trying to focus on what’s going on right now. I don’t want to overestimate what I do.”

For now, the priority is just competing, getting back in the flow after months on the gridiron. For Schwartz and Shivers, one of the hardest things to re-learn can be getting out of the blocks. It’s technique-based and steeped in repetition. Ff not practiced repeatedly, the break can be costly in a race that takes fewer than seven seconds.

Shivers said he built up his endurance for shorter races by running sprints twice the distance. He too practiced in Florida, in his hometown. Schwartz said the hardest thing for him was getting from the blocks into his acceleration.

“I make subtle changes, because I don’t like to come in and make a major drastic change because sometimes they don’t pick it up right away," Spry said. "No matter how good of a runner you could be, how good your are technically, you could always get better.”

It’s a consistent work in progress. Both Shivers and Schwartz didn’t compete in the first two meets of the indoor season. Schwartz won’t be competing in the upcoming meet this weekend in South Carolina.

And as they work their way into a full winter/spring hustle of competitive track and field, the question will continue to remain how Auburn handles spring football practice, which will start in March and stretch into April. It’s a crucial stretch of 15 practices, especially for young players. Igbinoghene said he needed to do football last spring to earn the starting spot he eventually got.

Spry said those decisions were made mostly during the recruiting process, but he deferred final decisions to Malzahn.

There have been meetings with Spry, Malzahn, the athlete, the strength and conditioning coach from both programs and director of operations. That’s where the lines of communication open up, which becomes especially important for the workout routines of athletes training for two totally different end goals.

Both Shivers and Schwartz used the phrase “100 percent track” in reference to their plans for the spring. Igbinoghene is unsure whether or not he’ll be participating in spring football — he currently has a cast on his left arm to heal a broken thumb he suffered during the football season.

Regardless of where everything stands, Spry believes the two programs are starting a pipeline that will help in recruiting and results for both programs.

“We’ve opened up a box now that’s gonna attract a lot more big time football-track guy,” Spry said. “Because of the relationship Gus and I have now, and the direction, they know they’re gonna do both. So now, we’ve opened up the radar, we’re gonna get a lot more kids on our radar ... that are serious superstar football players that have serious track speed.”

The three athletes currently competing seem to view track and football on equal footing. For these athletes, it’s year-long grind. Schwartz said he’s often spending extra time recovering, in ice baths. Even when he’s hanging out in his room, he’s stretching on the floor in his downtime.

Igbinoghene said he thinks competing year-round is something he’ll do all four years. He wants to “go pro in both, that’s something I’m trying to do.” He’s confident in his abilities, much like Schwartz who’s never surprised with himself when he sees success in either sport. He quickly said “No," when asked if he thought missing spring football would set him back.

“I just feel like to me, I’m gonna outwork everyone," Schwartz said, just about to end his interview. "I’m never satisfied with what I do.”

After he got up, Shivers sat down for an interview, and immediately his confidence burst through before a question was asked.

“I heard you said you were gonna outwork somebody, fam,” Shivers said to Schwartz in a friendly manner, just feet away. “You can’t outwork me.”

Al.com doing a way better job covering track than they've ever done covering football!

Glad these young men understand what commitment is! I work with a lot of kids playing multiple sports and very few truly understand what it means to be solely committed to the current sport. It's understandable when their future is clearly more in one sport than the other but it's admirable when they respect both or multiple sports.

I think there should be more multiple sport athletes! Too many sports' seasons seem to run together.

So, it’s our first race our FR year, and we’ve only practiced with our College Track team for 2 weeks, but we’re gonna go ahead and go #1 and #3 at the meet.  May as well get used to the domination now!!!

#auburnfast

Was trying to keep up with the meet in Clemson on line this past weekend and note that AS was in the 200m final but listed as DNF.....makes me nervous that he might have pulled up hurting..  Have seen nothing however.   The risk in track is pulling a hamstring which is one reason I (and probably) worry a bit about football players running the sprints.    Hoping all is well with him.   

Shivers picked up some points in the 200m. 

• 3 weeks later...

AS did not seem to participate in the SEC indoor for the 60m not did see Shriver on the results information.   Are they elsewhere or cutting back on their track participation?   

Just now, AU64 said:

AS did not seem to participate in the SEC indoor for the 60m not did see Shriver on the results information.   Are they elsewhere or cutting back on their track participation?   

AS pulled up lame at one meet in Clemson. Not sure about Shivers.

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

AS pulled up lame at one meet in Clemson. Not sure about Shivers.

Thanks....I worried about that.

Running track is not without it's physical risks....saw Shivers listed in the 200m but finished down the list and was not on the start sheet for 60m.    JMO but I'm fine with neither one of them running track...well Shiver for sure since football seems to be his best opportunity to excel.  AS  ?   could still be a competitive world class track performer but he could be something really special in football. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....I worried about that.

Running track is not without it's physical risks....saw Shivers listed in the 200m but finished down the list and was not on the start sheet for 60m.    JMO but I'm fine with neither one of them running track...well Shiver for sure since football seems to be his best opportunity to excel.  AS  ?   could still be a competitive world class track performer but he could be something really special in football. 

That’s crazy. Track is his #1 sport. Could still be a competitive world class track performer? No he could possibly be a gold medalist and the next big thing that the US needs to regain control of sprints again. That would be a huge disservice for him to give that up.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:21 AM, LKEEL75 said:

My man crush still kicking butt!!  Way to go Iggy!!!

Your man crush has some wings for lats.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Track is his #1 sport.

Maybe.....he's an exceptional 18 year old sprinter....and certainly could get better but he is well down the list of top sprinters who might be Olympic competitors from the US,  much less world wide.   He is FAST by football standard but like going from HS to college in football, doing that in track is a big step also.     Not dissing him...just noting that football might be his best future....JMO

https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/60-metres/indoor/men/senior/2019

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe.....he's an exceptional 18 year old sprinter....and certainly could get better but he is well down the list of top sprinters who might be Olympic competitors from the US,  much less world wide.   He is FAST by football standard but like going from HS to college in football, doing that in track is a big step also.     Not dissing him...just noting that football might be his best future....JMO

22nd while he's the only one with a 2000 birthday is impressive.

2 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

22nd while he's the only one with a 2000 birthday is impressive.

Oh yes...he's the real deal....no doubt....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Let's decipher this

First of all,  you based your diagram on indoor 60 meters. That race, in particular, is not always the best indicator of complete speed, but more so the ability to get out of the blocks. That is why this is not an Olympic race. 

Secondly, A lot of these guys ahead of him are either upperclassmen or professional runners. Anthony is probably not even in track shape yet and won't be until outdoors become full in swing

Third, I am willing to bet, most of these guys, do not play football either. They are track athletes year round. That makes a huge difference. 

Fourth, the fastest guy this year in the 60 meters to date was Grant. He ran a 6.51. That is 8 tenths of a second quicker than Anthony. That is hardly well down and again it is really based on your start as well. That was his PR. Now go take a look at this guy's PR in the 100 meters. Go take a look at Emmanuel Wells PR in the 100 meters and get back to me. Anthony was running those times in Highschool. 

You are severely downplaying his exceptional speed.

Archived