Tigers Taking the Track

Zeek

1 hour ago, savorytiger said:

22nd while he's the only one with a 2000 birthday is impressive.

https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/60-metres/indoor/men/u20/2019?regionType=world&timing=electronic&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true

If you look at the same website, he is actually #1 in the world for the U20 group. Yeah, he should totally give it up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DAG said:

https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/60-metres/indoor/men/u20/2019?regionType=world&timing=electronic&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true

If you look at the same website, he is actually #1 in the world for the U20 group. Yeah, he should totally give it up.

Calm down..... I didn't say that....I said ….emphasize football as that is where I think his future lies......guess we will know in a few years......

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but I'm fine with neither one of them running track

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Calm down..... I didn't say that....I said ….emphasize football as that is where I think his future lies......guess we will know in a few years......

• 1 month later...

Great pics! Looks like a beautiful setting with the ancient stone work in the background.  Congrats boys!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beagle34 said:

Overall ,the men’s track had a pitiful showing that was good for 17 points and a last place finish in the SEC.

We watched a little yesterday. When they showed the leaderboard my son asked, "Dad, where is Auburn?"

Flash was the ONLY Freshman to make the finals, finishing 6th @ a college personal best of 10.21 with 3 Seniors and 1 Junior ahead of him. The future looks bright.  

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Only gonna get faster! That v8 is just warming up.

• 8 months later...

2 Auburn Tigers will miss spring football, run track

AUBURN, Alabama — Two Auburn speedsters are participating in track workouts while their football teammates prepare for spring practices.

Receiver Anthony Schwartz and running back Shaun Shivers will skip spring practices to participate in sprint and relay events for the Auburn track team. The duo began practicing with the track team Monday, according to a tweet from Tigers track coach Ralph Spry. Schwartz and Shivers also participated in track events in 2019 and skipped football's spring practices.

Auburn football's spring practices are scheduled to begin after the university's spring break, which ends March 13.

Schwartz broke the school's 60-meter dash record for a freshman twice with times of 6.62 seconds and 6.59 seconds at the Clemson Tiger Paw Invitational in 2019. He ran the fastest time of 6.59 two hours after setting the new record. Schwartz injured his hamstring during a track meet and sat out most of the indoor season, however, and suffered another hamstring injury late in the 2019 football season.

Schwartz caught six passes for 49 yards in Auburn's loss to Minnesota in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day. He did so recovering from a pulled hamstring. "I was at 80 percent the whole time, but I tried to fight it out and try do what I could do for my team," Schwartz said at the time.

The receiver was injured on the first play of Auburn's 48-45 victory against Alabama in the Iron Bowl on Nov. 30.

Schwartz will contemplate whether to stick with football or pursue a professional track career in the near future, he said.

"This year will be a big key for my track season, depending on how I do," Schwartz said. "If I do good enough or just, I don’t know how to explain it, there will probably be (a decision) coming next year."

What would change his mind from playing football to focusing solely on track?

"If I make an Olympic team, I feel like I’ll stick with track, but if I’m running a season like I did last year, I think I’ll stick to football," Schwartz said after the Tigers' 31-24 loss to Minnesota.

Olympic qualifications run through June 29.

Schwartz finished his sophomore season with 41 catches for 440 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 118 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries.

He hopes to improve upon his track times from last season, particularly in the 100-meter dash.

"I should be able to get back down to my 10 lows, try to get 9s this year," he said.

Shivers participated in the indoor and outdoor track seasons in 2019, finishing with times of 6.79 seconds in the 60-meter dash and 10.44 seconds in the 100-meter dash.

Shivers was responsible for 286 rushing yards and three touchdowns. He placed an exclamation point on his sophomore season with a brutal touchdown run in which he popped Alabama safety Xavier McKinney's helmet into the air after a collision.

Schwartz was the nation's Gatorade track and field athlete of the year in 2018 after setting records and winning the Class 2A state title in Florida in the 100-meter (10.07 seconds) and 200-meter dashes (20.41). He also won the silver medal at the IAAF Under-20 World Championships in Finland with a time of 10.22 seconds in the 100-meter. He was part of the gold medal team that won the 4x100 relay for Team USA in 38.88 seconds.

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

Just an FYI.... Shaun will be playing Spring Ball. He is just training for track right now, playing Spring ball & then going back to track afterwards. 

51 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Just an FYI.... Shaun will be playing Spring Ball. He is just training for track right now, playing Spring ball & then going back to track afterwards. 

I know I speak for a lot of fans when I say that I am ecstatic not only that Shaun will get to do both, but that he is returning. 

And before anyone says anything, nobody on Team Worm ever said that he wasn't coming back. I'm just telling Momma that I'm glad he's still a Tiger. Worm's the kind of person and player I want on this team. 

Archived