D. Davis Article

AUallday

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Deshaun Davis is a favorite of mine. He could make one hell of a DC sometime in the future with that football IQ and he has the leadership qualities and infectious personality that could help him be a HC some day.

But the little hits on Stidham on the board are puzzling. I have a funny feeling that he's going to get the Nick Marshall treatment -- underappreciated during his time but whoever follows him at QB for next season will make us wish we still had Stidham. Yup, overthrows and all.

I'm convinced the overthrows are a Gus Malzahn signature move...

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Deshaun Davis is a favorite of mine. He could make one hell of a DC sometime in the future with that football IQ and he has the leadership qualities and infectious personality that could help him be a HC some day.

TWill-type position coach and recruiter is his floor IMO. He was that kind of guy as a recruit. I have a personal, imaginary award named after him. It's the under-the-radar guy in every class who commits early and then recruits his ass off for us and ends up being a leader in the locker room. Bonus points if the guy ever approaches the actual on-field production of DD. The only way his story could be better is if we'd won advanced past Atlanta while he was here. 

But the little hits on Stidham on the board are puzzling. I have a funny feeling that he's going to get the Nick Marshall treatment -- underappreciated during his time but whoever follows him at QB for next season will make us wish we still had Stidham. Yup, overthrows and all.

2017 Stidham, maybe. 2018 Stidham... hard time imagining it, my friend. Especially since whoever it is will be judged as a first-time starter. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

2017 Stidham, maybe. 2018 Stidham... hard time imagining it, my friend. Especially since whoever it is will be judged as a first-time starter. 

I just mean Stidham, the guy. I understand the last visions of him were not what we hoped. 2017 Stidham, to me, is more an indication of his skill than 2018. Off-season injury, worst OL in a looong time at AU, etc made him look worse than he is IMO.

But I'm not ready to buy into the thought that we lose an NFL draftee at QB and think we're gonna get better at the position in year 1 post-Stidham. The last time we went through it ("Nick Marshall can't throw") we had actually seen Jeremy Johnson play and it still ended up way worse than anyone could've imagined. Now I realize you're not saying we will be better at QB next year but a lot of posters are happy to see him leave it seems.. I'm just looking at trends and rarely do we ever replace a starter with someone who either matches or surpasses their production from the departed player in that season. I'm just thinking this will make some of us wish for a QB who at the very least showed 1 season where he was dependable, even if it wasn't his final year.

Maybe the one sentence quoted to Muschamp in the article lit a fire under DD's ass and made him into the player he is today?!? Just a brief quote, nobody knows the full conversation they had.

21 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Maybe the one sentence quoted to Muschamp in the article lit a fire under DD's ass and made him into the player he is today?!? Just a brief quote, nobody knows the full conversation they had.

It's interesting to watch people take a quote... from Tre Williams... about what Will Muschamp said 4 years ago... with no context... and crucify Will Muschamp for it. I'm curious how many of those people are the same ones who complain about the media's agenda. 

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm convinced the overthrows are a Gus Malzahn signature move...

Well obviously, if Kodi coached them to be faster, then it wouldn't be an issue.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, McLoofus said:

Eh, that doesn't make me lose any respect for Muschamp. Happens all the time. He was just being honest and giving DD a chance to start fresh somewhere where he could play. It's harsh, sure, but I don't think it's anything unusual in college ball. Also, it wasn't a direct quote. It wasn't even Davis quoting Muschamp. 

You know, it might have been a sign that Muschamp knew he wasn't going to remain at Auburn long. I mean, South Carolina isn't exactly a plum job.

Just now, Rednilla said:

You know, it might have been a sign that Muschamp knew he wasn't going to remain at Auburn long. I mean, South Carolina isn't exactly a plum job.

Ummmm.... It's a head coaching gig in the SEC. It was more plumb and more quickly than he expected. He was like their 6th choice. 

He wasn't going to leave for a lateral move and he wasn't going to get offered anything better than the USC gig. Nobody thought he was going to be here forever but nobody- including him- thought he would be gone after a year. 

Regardless, I don't really see how that would induce him to encourage Davis to leave? Why would he care if he had a foot out the door?

I just don't see anything sinister or complicated here. Davis wasn't his type of linebacker. So he was honest with him and gave him the choice to pursue his career where his chances of contributing were better. This happens with just about every coaching change, although I'm not sure that all coordinators would man up and be that honest with their players.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:33 AM, Tiger said:

I just mean Stidham, the guy. I understand the last visions of him were not what we hoped. 2017 Stidham, to me, is more an indication of his skill than 2018. Off-season injury, worst OL in a looong time at AU, etc made him look worse than he is IMO.

But I'm not ready to buy into the thought that we lose an NFL draftee at QB and think we're gonna get better at the position in year 1 post-Stidham. The last time we went through it ("Nick Marshall can't throw") we had actually seen Jeremy Johnson play and it still ended up way worse than anyone could've imagined. Now I realize you're not saying we will be better at QB next year but a lot of posters are happy to see him leave it seems.. I'm just looking at trends and rarely do we ever replace a starter with someone who either matches or surpasses their production from the departed player in that season. I'm just thinking this will make some of us wish for a QB who at the very least showed 1 season where he was dependable, even if it wasn't his final year.

I don't know. I mean, I get what you're saying, but we have 2 QBs on the roster now who are on the athletic level to at least match Stidham in Gatewood and Nix, and that "worst OL" goes from 1 starter returning to all starters returning when comparing preseason 2018 and preseason 2019. And that offensive line showed improvement toward the end of the season in 2018, so it's very easy to see the possibility of a QB increasing the production at the position from last year to this year in spite of losing an NFL draftee at the position. Especially if it's Gatewood, because he has a set of wheels on him that neither Nix nor Stidham have.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ummmm.... It's a head coaching gig in the SEC. It was more plumb and more quickly than he expected. He was like their 6th choice. 

He wasn't going to leave for a lateral move and he wasn't going to get offered anything better than the USC gig. Nobody thought he was going to be here forever but nobody- including him- thought he would be gone after a year. 

Regardless, I don't really see how that would induce him to encourage Davis to leave? Why would he care if he had a foot out the door?

I just don't see anything sinister or complicated here. Davis wasn't his type of linebacker. So he was honest with him and gave him the choice to pursue his career where his chances of contributing were better. This happens with just about every coaching change, although I'm not sure that all coordinators would man up and be that honest with their players.

What makes you think he was encouraging Davis to leave? Maybe he was pushing Davis to get better? You're the one who said it happens in coaching all the time, and you're right: some coaches motivate their players in different ways. And again, we don't know what was actually said or how it was said. If Muschamp sat Davis down and told him, straight up, that he would never play as long as Will was the coach, then I agree it was about making him want to transfer. If it was one of "Coach Boom's" famous explosions at practice after Davis had made a mistake, then it sounds more like a coaching tool than a precursor to Davis leaving.

And of course Muschamp wasn't going to make a lateral move, but Davis was a freshman, and pretty much everyone knew that Muschamp had a shelf life at Auburn of 2 years, tops. Yes, South Carolina is an SEC job, but not one of the traditional powers of the SEC, like Florida (read: actually won an SEC title in the school's history). It isn't as impossible as you're trying to make it sound that Muschamp was simply trying to drive Davis to get better in the short time he had with him.

Happy for DD.  As for Boom, I've always been a fan of his, and his undeveloped people skills. Boom is also big on personal responsibility, including his own.  He's been known to tell players that he made a mistake about them. Wouldn't surprise me if makes this good. Too little too late? It's only for DD to say.

Archived