Men vs. Mississippi State - game thread

WarTiger

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Like I’ve said before. Talent is there. They just seem to think they can go through the motions and beat anyone. That’s what I mean by heart and desire. They bought into their own hype instead of staying hungry like the were last year when everyone counted them out

The defensive issues are real. It could be as simple as that. We cannot stop anyone who is any good.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree on the other 2 but why bama? Who are their good lead guards? I have not watched them play barely 5 minutes this season besides the Georgia State game. And that was to watch Simonds play for Ga State.

Kira Lewis is good and he has a big size advantage on Harperand petty has been playing very well the last few games and their guard that's a transfer from Texas a&m is a good scorer. They are all going to have a huge size advantage to us. It's a bad match up

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Kira Lewis is good and he has a big size advantage on Harperand petty has been playing very well the last few games and their guard that's a transfer from Texas a&m is a good scorer. They are all going to have a huge size advantage to us. It's a bad match up

Damn. I thought they are huge on the interior just like they always are under the little general. Had no idea about their guards besides petty. Got dang. Hopefully Petty is as awful in Auburn arena as he was last season. *knock on wood*

41-49 on Free Throws the past 2 games and still managed to lose both. SMH.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Damn. I thought they are huge on the interior just like they always are under the little general. Had no idea about their guards. Got dang.

Kira is about 6'4" petty was 6'5" in high school he could be 6'6" now Mack is like 6'6". Hell actually now that I think about it their back up guards are 6'5", 6'6", and 6'7"

Just now, Tiger Scout said:

Mcormick is no Harper either. He makes to many mistakes. 

Anytime he comes in to the game I wince. I know his counting stats were not good but it just felt like Davion was a whole lot better last year. Our backup PG position is just a killer this season.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

41-49 on Free Throws the past 2 games and still managed to lose both. SMH.

They had more offensive rebounds, less turnovers, more steals, and they didn't shoot as well as us but they still shot over 50% which is very good

2 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Brown and Harper can't do it all. We need 3 other players to step up their play with them.

They are mismatches on the defensive end. We've played pretty good on offense, or at least not bad but defense we're being exposed

I’m not so sure the “talent is there.” We’ve all seen the ESPN/SEC network graphics where they show how low Bryce/Jared were as prospects. At the end of last year, with the golden dream of Heron/Purifoy/Wiley, yes that was a team where the talent would be there. Instead, Auburn is without its best recruit ever, it’s professional big man is injured through the key stretch, and Purifoy is showing rust (although he’s to the point now, I want him in the starting lineup just for his athleticism). This team might be the scraping barely into the NCAA tourney we thought last years team would be before the magic. If it’s a “one and done” in the tourney then yes that’s annoying, but I view it as the elusive “back to back 10 win seasons” we all want to see from football to believe the program has turned a corner.  So I’m hoping against hope for a split home/away the rest of the way and get 9-9 and hear Auburn called on selection Sunday.

As for tonight, I was there and it wasn’t any prettier in person  19 turnovers won’t win you many games, but my tinfoil hat is firmly on in thinking Pearls reputation earns him too much flack from egotistical officials  Why the same doesn’t happen to Calipari, I have no idea. Also, win or lose, Moo State athletics fan base are beginning to get UGA disease...all the arrogance, none of the hardware. They even did Rammer Jammer tonight and many of their fans were classless, though maybe they really thought they were beating a full-strength 16 ranked team in the nation. I did congratulate one loudmouth on the way out for being an up-and-coming Women’s Basketball school and said I hope they get their first natty in anything sometime soon...

This is exactly what I was thinking could happen when I said losing Wiley is going to show everybody what all he does that can't be as easily seen as points and rebounds. All that complaining about him but didn't know he was doing a hell of a job

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol come on man. We know what you are doing here.

Nothing about what I said was incorrect.

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is exactly how good programs (which we are now) make the tourney year in year out sandwiched in between the special years. Auburn fans will begin to realize this as they watch more and more basketball and get more well versed with the sport. It is clear this team does not have IT that last years team did. It will not be special. We will not win a title but if we do just that we will make the tourney as a 6 or 7 seed and bow out in the second round. 

This doesnt look like a team that's going to be able to do even that, that was the premise of the rest of that post lol

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Nothing about what I said was incorrect.

If this team gave up we would just pack up and not come back from double digit deficits 3 games in a row to take a lead in the second half. Also the UT game in football the team absolutely gave up. YOU HAVE to give up to lose to a team as bad as rocky top.

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This doesnt look like a team that's going to be able to do even that, that was the premise of the rest of that post lol

Fair enough but this team has a lot of similarities to the year after winning the sec 2000 AU bball team that still managed to win 1 game in the tourney amid all the Chris Porter turmoil. I know it does not look like it right now but I still think we will sneak in to the tourney. Hey at least we know we are not peaking to soon like last years team did! lol. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Fair enough but this team has a lot of similarities to the year after winning the sec 2000 AU bball team that still managed to win 1 game in the tourney amid all the Chris Porter turmoil. I know it does not look like it right now but I still think we will sneak in to the tourney. Hey at least we know we are not peaking to soon like last years team did! lol. 

I'd hope so. I just know the argument has been as long as they keep the losses looking attractive against good FPI-based teams, and the past couple games have hurt both of those qualifiers. They pretty much only have the Washington blowout and maybe MSU to offer to the committee, and I'd be honestly willing to write off that Huskies win as more of an anomaly than the team we've seen the past couple of months.

Making the tourney would be cool just to make it, but the coaching staff does need a real alarm blaring in front of them so they re-construct some things. I'm hoping maybe they could do that without missing out on the dance, but well..

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'd hope so. I just know the argument has been as long as they keep the losses looking attractive against good FPI-based teams, and the past couple games have hurt both of those qualifiers. They pretty much only have the Washington blowout and maybe MSU to offer to the committee, and I'd be honestly willing to write off that Huskies win as more of an anomaly than the team we've seen the past couple of months.

Making the tourney would be cool just to make it, but the coaching staff does need a real alarm blaring in front of them so they re-construct some things. I'm hoping maybe they could do that without missing out on the dance, but well..

South Carolina is the only bad loss I see. And even that was on the road and they are 5-1 in conference. But yah I def agree with the rest of what you said.

Purifoy has showed me nothing that shows he deserves to start. His play has been below average so far and a big disapointment for all the hype and time I have waited to see him on the court.

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking could happen when I said losing Wiley is going to show everybody what all he does that can't be as easily seen as points and rebounds. All that complaining about him but didn't know he was doing a hell of a job

Other than staying hurt and playing soft under the basket, what has he done? 5 star my foot!

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

Next 3 at home. Let’s pick these up, get Wiley back, keep getting Purifoy in, and peak at the end of the season. 

6 of the next 8 at home. We need to win 5 of the home ones. And ideally all of them.

Also, does the team know “Unfinished Business” is supposed to be a mantra to build on last season and not actually a goal to attain? 😂

Factoid: We get behind Kentucky by 16 points after 25 minutes of play. Bryce Brown has barely taken a shot. Brown starts to get shots, we close the gap, take the lead briefly and only lose by two.

Similar, but less remarkable gaps in the South Carolina game.

Tonight, the score is 70-70 with 8 minutes left. Brown doesn't get another jump shot the rest of the game. Eight minutes without our best shooter getting a jumper!

Our defense was painful to watch true enough, but we need to run more sets that get jump shot opportunities for Brown. I know having your best shooter shoot more seems a novel idea to some, but when we go long stretches without Brown getting a chance to do his thing we hang another L on the scoreboard.

Archived