Men vs. Mississippi State - game thread

WarTiger

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

Other than staying hurt and playing soft under the basket, what has he done? 5 star my foot!

Obviously you can't see

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Factoid: We get behind Kentucky by 16 points after 25 minutes of play. Bryce Brown has barely taken a shot. Brown starts to get shots, we close the gap, take the lead briefly and only lose by two.

Similar, but less remarkable gaps in the South Carolina game.

Tonight, the score is 70-70 with 8 minutes left. Brown doesn't get another jump shot the rest of the game. Eight minutes without our best shooter getting a jumper!

Our defense was painful to watch true enough, but we need to run more sets that get jump shot opportunities for Brown. I know having your best shooter shoot more seems a novel idea to some, but when we go long stretches without Brown getting a chance to do his thing we hang another L on the scoreboard.

That's Brown's limitation, doesn't have the size, handle, or athleticism to create his own shot making him easy to guard. Him being our best shooter is arguable. I'd say when he gets squared up he may be

At the very least Wiley gives you a body that's a bit smarter with playing without fouling in the paint, even with his physical limitations. 

That sentiment just cant be shared for the other bigs at this moment. Not to mention the threat of having someone who's at least decent with finishing around the rim and through contact has to be accounted for. 

We’ve quickly gone from ‘are we an NCCA tournament team’, to ‘are we an SEC tournament team’. MSU with about 10 consecutive unopposed windmill dunks late in the second half. How did we get here?

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We’ve quickly gone from ‘are we an NCCA tournament team’, to ‘are we an SEC tournament team’. MSU with about 10 consecutive unopposed windmill dunks late in the second half. How did we get here?

Yep....that is what was hard to understand....defensive collapse.

I can’t expect anything more from a 3 star kid who shows up and gives you 20+ a night in conference play. 49% from 3, 47% fg. And 21-22 ft. And I don’t see the limitations in him getting his own shot, he does that fairly well. That dunk he had against kentucky made me realize he’s more athletic than I thought he was. You shouldn’t have to work and create almost every shot. Your supposed to have designs similar to MSU with that double pin down in the corner for Quindarry. 

46 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We dont play fundamental defense at all. We are lazy as s***. Bruce has had this issue with many of his AU teams. Last year, he got the defense to start playing descent fundamentally for a time. Once that happened, with our scoring and extremely active hands on d, we blew up. This year, we suck again fundamentally, except now we have zero inside rebounding presense without Wiley. 

13 minutes ago, noso113 said:

I can’t expect anything more from a 3 star kid who shows up and gives you 20+ a night in conference play. 49% from 3, 47% fg. And 21-22 ft. And I don’t see the limitations in him getting his own shot, he does that fairly well. That dunk he had against kentucky made me realize he’s more athletic than I thought he was. You shouldn’t have to work and create almost every shot. Your supposed to have designs similar to MSU with that double pin down in the corner for Quindarry. 

JMO but the fact that BB can't create his own shot is an issue about coaching and the offense style...that does not work to get one of its best shooters open. The goal of coach and team should be to maximize BB's abilities , not leave it to BB to play a one man offense.

10 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

Mcormick is no Harper either. He makes to many mistakes. 

You did see that Harper had 6 turnovers against MSU.  No senior point guard should make that many mistakes.  

8 minutes ago, around4ever said:

You did see that Harper had 6 turnovers against MSU.  No senior point guard should make that many mistakes.  

Didn't see that game but got the impression that many of the AU turnovers were pretty much unforced......which was the case in previous game....mishandling the "shake and bake" plays and stuff like that. 

29 minutes ago, around4ever said:

He is the most senior PG but he is actually a JR.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He is the most senior PG but he is actually a JR.

seems like he's been here forever.....and yet another year to go.....that's a good thing...

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

seems like he's been here forever.....and yet another year to go.....that's a good thing...

Yep. He should definitely come back next year. Needs to improve his down low finishing moves. Every swinging dick on our roster needs to come back actually. I’m about to create a thread about potential departures probably. 

Maybe we look back on this as a mid season slump when it’s all said and done. The next game is pivotal to the survival of this season. 

To me, the most telling stats of the MSU loss were:

- MSU made 10 3-point shots in the 1st half.

- MSU made 10 easy dunks in the 2nd half.

21 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

To me, the most telling stats of the MSU loss were:

- MSU made 10 3-point shots in the 1st half.

- MSU made 10 easy dunks in the 2nd half.

some might call that "over-compensation" by the defense after halftime adjustments.....:dunno:

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Maybe we look back on this as a mid season slump when it’s all said and done. The next game is pivotal to the survival of this season. 

I hope so. It's one thing to lose but we just don't seem to be improving. We don't seem to have that one guy that can consistently give us a good game.

7 hours ago, around4ever said:

I wrote that I expected him to be playing better than he is

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, around4ever said:

You did see that Harper had 6 turnovers against MSU

Too many minutes I think. I was worried this might be a problem when Mitchell left. JMO, but I think you'd see Harper's level of play higher if Mitchell was giving us 10-15 quality minutes per game. I think Pearl is playing McCormick as little as possible because he doesn't trust him....and why would he? He's lightning fast but totally out of control 90% of the time..

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Too many minutes I think. I was worried this might be a problem when Mitchell left. JMO, but I think you'd see Harper's level of play higher if Mitchell was giving us 10-15 quality minutes per game. I think Pearl is playing McCormick as little as possible because he doesn't trust him....and why would he? He's lightning fast but totally out of control 90% of the time..

Nailed it

And he's not physically built to take all of those minutes on while keeping his play at a high level ESPECIALLY against bigger guards

Archived