AU falls out of top 25.

GwillMac6

Knew it was coming but it still stings. NOW LETS GO SWEEP THIS HOME STAND!!! WAR DAMN!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Knew it was coming but it still stings. NOW LETS GO SWEEP THIS HOME STAND!!! WAR DAMN!!

good chance to get back....as you say....win the home games and rankings will likely follow...but can't afford to lose any of them.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Too high IMO 

Only thing Im looking for personally is for better big play over this stretch. The guards are what they are 

How long ago was it being said by many that we had the best guard tandem in the SEC?      That sure did not hold up.  

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How long ago was it being said by many that we had the best guard tandem in the SEC?      That sure did not hold up.  

Yeah....some of us knew that couldn't be the case

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah....some of us knew that couldn't be the case

I see that Auburn is highly interested in a QB from Florence. Offered him. How good?

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Are you freaking kidding right now? Harper and Brown are the main reasons we stormed back and took the lead in the second half in all 3 games that we lost when we got down by double digits. They are the last 2 players that shouldn't be getting any grief on here. They also are 1 of the 2 backcourts in the SEC to be in the top 10 in scoring. They may not be the best but yah I would say they are pretty damn good still. http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/player/scoring-per-game

Not doubting their value to Auburn.....but the fact that they are the best we have does not make them the best back court in the SEC,      Turnovers, mediocre defense and shooting inconsistency is a problem in most games. 

The argument is the guard duo. Tremont waters/wade, Lamar peters/ nick westherspoon, tenn. guards nor ole miss pg/sg Can do what Harper and brown do. Haven’t seen to many guards put up 20 in half’s back to back conf. games. Harper averages less turnovers than both peters and waters and more assist and ppg. Using Peters and tremont because those two are the toughest ball handling guards. We lost majority in our conference, please show me the stats that prove the guards are inconsistent then I will agree. Now I see other people conf numbers and to me someone needs to step up and average 15. Like brown had to do last yr. Jh and B.B. are averaging more and taking less shot attempts than last year on avg. though many may not appreciate Brown, I’m glad some critiques are taking notes. https://www.draftsite.com/nba/mock-draft/2019/

Had him at 53 a little after kentucky game. But moved up today to 45 even after loss. His cononfrence numbers are elite right now. Probably won’t be there tolong just wait for B.B. to do what he does best and get ice cold

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not doubting their value to Auburn.....but the fact that they are the best we have does not make them the best back court in the SEC,      Turnovers, mediocre defense and shooting inconsistency is a problem in most games. 

You also forgot to add the fact Jared Harper leads the sec in assists per game and is third in assist to turnover ratio. 

Just focus on making the tourney.  Then all bets are off when it comes to being ranked.  Just need a chance at the tourney.  That alone is a big feat.  

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

You also forgot to add the fact Jared Harper leads the sec in assists per game and is third in assist to turnover ratio. 

The comment was guard tandem....and all around play.   Glad you are happy with what we have....and appreciate your enthusiasm. 

See? Just look at this thread. People are in denial, they think this is elite play, so when you evaluate the team you are like this is two of the best guards in the country! So now you have to look everywhere else right? You can post numbers as far as everybody on this team to make them look good yet we have lost to trash teams. 

It's funny when you evaluate players you don't look at defense then....you always go straight to offensive stats.......our guards wouldn't even intimidate a Jr high team.....but make pretend this is an elite back court. A mac is the same.....we haven't won without Wiley really.....look at chumma numbers he's effective so we are losing games why? Samir is a very effective player! Look at the stats! Yet EVERY game somebody raises their draft stock on us and we can't score at the end of games......

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology In Joey Brackets latest bracketology update we have slipped to a 7 seed. Time to get back on track this week! I believe in Bruce baby!! WOOOOOO!!!!! WAR DAMN!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology In Joey Brackets latest bracketology update we have slipped to a 7 seed. Time to get back on track this week! I believe in Bruce baby!! WOOOOOO!!!!! WAR DAMN!

Long as we are still there, that's the important thing

I still think Harper is one of the best PGs in the country. And when Brown is on he is one of a very few players in the NCAA that can literally carry a team on his back. But they do have their problems and shortcomings and the talk about best in the country was a bit much. They are also most likely not NBA level players but to me being an NBA player is not a requirement for being considered a great college player.  Anyway they appear to be the best we got so i don't see the point in tearing them down and trashing them by saying things like they wouldn't scare a JV team but they are the leaders of the team and they would be getting the praise if we were playing well so they get the blame when we are not playing well. I've been in sports long enough to understand that. Both these guys have worked like crazy and i hope they are rewarded with a few wins

All this talk about how Harper and Brown stack up against other back courts around the conference and the country got me thinking.

Over the last 20 years we've had only 3 back court duos lead teams to anything worth remembering from a national perspective. In chronological order:

Doc Robinson/Scott Pohlman: SEC Regular Season Championship (1 of the school's only 3), highest ranking in school history, most wins in a season in school history, a Sweet 16 (1 of the school's only 4), and back to back NCAA tourney appearances.

Marquis Daniels/Lewis Monroe (lol lets be serious this is all Marquis he was a one man team, let alone backcourt): 1 of the school's only 4 Sweet 16 appearances

Jared Harper/Bryce Brown: SEC Regular Season Championship (1 of the school's 3), 2nd most wins in a season in school history and 1.5 months left together to add on to their legacy.

18 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

The overall team vibe has changed. Can’t explain it . Pearl has a great team and needs to coach like it 

The fire from last year isn't there.  It's harder to motivate when expectations are high and Bruce can't use the "no one believes in us" as motivation like he did last season.  We lost Heron and it hurts because we have no one on the team that can attack the basket, that's why we live and die by the 3.  It is what it is, and there's a ton of opportunity literally on our door step to make a statement and run the table at HOME and get back into the thick of things!

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

The fire from last year isn't there.  It's harder to motivate when expectations are high and Bruce can't use the "no one believes in us" as motivation like he did last season.  We lost Heron and it hurts because we have no one on the team that can attack the basket, that's why we live and die by the 3.  It is what it is, and there's a ton of opportunity literally on our door step to make a statement and run the table at HOME and get back into the thick of things!

Keesler you nailed it . 

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

All this talk about how Harper and Brown stack up against other back courts around the conference and the country got me thinking.

Over the last 20 years we've had only 3 back court duos lead teams to anything worth remembering from a national perspective. In chronological order:

Doc Robinson/Scott Pohlman: SEC Regular Season Championship (1 of the school's only 3), highest ranking in school history, most wins in a season in school history, a Sweet 16 (1 of the school's only 4), and back to back NCAA tourney appearances.

Marquis Daniels/Lewis Monroe (lol lets be serious this is all Marquis he was a one man team, let alone backcourt): 1 of the school's only 4 Sweet 16 appearances

Jared Harper/Bryce Brown: SEC Regular Season Championship (1 of the school's 3), 2nd most wins in a season in school history and 1.5 months left together to add on to their legacy.

Jamison Brewer was the most gifted PG we had during this era here you're speaking on. Especially athletically

I think last year threw off reasonable expectations for this team.  Auburn is still very much in the building phase.  Each recruiting class is better than the last so I have to believe things will only get better.  Auburn went from a team that couldn’t get an NIT bid to a high NCAA seed.  Auburn hopeful earning around a 5 seed this season would probably match what the trajectory of this program should be.  

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

I still think Harper is one of the best PGs in the country. And when Brown is on he is one of a very few players in the NCAA that can literally carry a team on his back. But they do have their problems and shortcomings and the talk about best in the country was a bit much. They are also most likely not NBA level players but to me being an NBA player is not a requirement for being considered a great college player.  Anyway they appear to be the best we got so i don't see the point in tearing them down and trashing them by saying things like they wouldn't scare a JV team but they are the leaders of the team and they would be getting the praise if we were playing well so they get the blame when we are not playing well. I've been in sports long enough to understand that. Both these guys have worked like crazy and i hope they are rewarded with a few wins

I'm just quoting this because you mentioned my post, what I said is not tearing them down it's being honest and it's me literally trying to show people how athletes look at them....but can't on this board. People say anything that's not make pretend making guys close to legends it's an issue. I'm trying to show other guys who have played with or against our sized back court since they were 12 years old.....nobody is intimidated by that. They are always going to get attacked. And it's nothing you can do about it unless you have unreal length or athleticism to go with it. So in their case sorry no matter how hard they play guards are going to score on them. As a team we are going to get out rebounded usually, especially without Wiley. This is not hating, downing, or any of that. 

Harper one of the best in country?  No I'll say one of the best in conference. I never have understood the saying when a guy is on they are great. I think when anybody is on they are great....the key is being on more than off. But it's all subjective I guess

Archived