Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

11 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Imagine Oklahoma without Kyler Murray.

Wisconsin without Russell Wilson.

West Virginia without Will Grier.

Oklahoma without Baker Mayfield.

Michigan without Shea Patterson.

Granted, I've described all QB's, but these are all pretty good programs that have gotten their best player for a year or two through a transfer. It's not necessarily a bad thing to bring in transfers at a position of immediate need.

Ummm quite a difference between signing a dynamic difference maker at QB and having to sign back to back to back to back OL in order to fill out a competitive OL.  To me, it is bad having to consistently bring in transfers... especially if it's at one position group. That's quite a red flag that your either not recruiting or not developing at the rate that is needed to be a championship team. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ummm quite a difference between signing a dynamic difference maker at QB and having to sign back to back to back to back OL in order to fill out a competitive OL.  To me, it is bad having to consistently bring in transfers... especially if it's at one position group. That's quite a red flag that your either not recruiting or not developing at the rate that is needed to be a championship team. 

James, Bell, Dun, Driscoll...it's been a while since Gus had a line without a transfer.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

James, Bell, Dun, Driscoll...it's been a while since Gus had a line without a transfer.

And Golson...

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ummm quite a difference between signing a dynamic difference maker at QB and having to sign back to back to back to back OL in order to fill out a competitive OL

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, it is bad having to consistently bring in transfers...

It’s actually becoming the norm and will become even more of the norm as the transfer portal thing becomes more normalized.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

especially if it's at one position group.

Agreed

30 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Granted, I've described all QB's, but these are all pretty good programs that have gotten their best player for a year or two through a transfer. It's not necessarily a bad thing to bring in transfers at a position of immediate need.

Good point, but I think the bigger issue is better and more proactive roster management minimizes the need for transfers. Our biggest rivals are UAT, UGA, and LSU. In the last 4 years, they’ve all signed 15-16 O linemen. We’ve signed 8. 

39 minutes ago, auol72 said:

thank you. Even the mighty tide has twice gone the Juco route at LT to get in a player they were comfortable with.

They are also signing 4 high school OL per class. We are signing a whopping 2 per class.

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our biggest rivals are UAT, UGA, and LSU. In the last 4 years, they’ve all signed 15-16 O linemen.

17-18 FTR.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They are also signing 4 high school OL per class. We are signing a whopping 2 per class.

And mostly guards...

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s actually becoming the norm and will become even more of the norm as the transfer portal thing becomes more normalized.

True, but just like years past, a team built out of JUCOs will never be a consistent winner.  Transfers have previously been band-aids to cover recruiting misses.  The goal going forward should be to use transfers to enhance the team, not to sustain it.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The goal going forward should be to use transfers to enhance the team, not to sustain it.

That’s a good rule of thumb.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The goal going forward should be to use transfers to enhance the team, not to sustain it.

Or to put it in Jeff-ology workout terms transfers should be a supplement to the program Not be a core part of the building process.

Citing James and gholson is inaccurate neither were grad transfers both had three to play two. There have also been some pretty good teams with high percentage of juco players in past Kansa state won 9-10 games a year doing it and Jackie Sherrill had a pretty good run at moo state. A good coach does what he has to do. If he cannot get them by recruiting he gets them by transfer a win is the same no matter 

5 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Citing James and gholson is inaccurate neither were grad transfers both had three to play two. There have also been some pretty good teams with high percentage of juco players in past Kansa state won 9-10 games a year doing it and Jackie Sherrill had a pretty good run at moo state. A good coach does what he has to do. If he cannot get them by recruiting he gets them by transfer a win is the same no matter 

True, they weren't grad transfers. Also true, we needed them to transfer in to stabilize the line. And while a coach does do what they have to do, continually having to scramble and get a transfer because your program is not recruiting or developing adequately will be detrimental to the program and will hinder future success.

As far as Snyder and Sherrill go, you and I just have different definitions of success...and I think Snyder is absolutely one of the best coaches in the history of the game.  I always refer to his coaching tree when searches begin.

I will say, OU hasn’t recruited a QB worth a s*** in a while. Bakes, Murray, and Hurts. They’re doing okay. 

It’s not the end of the world to rely on transfers at one spot if you can land them consistently. I don’t love banking on a transfer, but with our inexperience behind the Senior Five this year, I don’t think finding a transfer Tackle will be the biggest concern in 2020. 

@ellitor, we’ll have to agree to disagree again. At the end of the year, the OL was playing better than mediocre. They put quality games together. With any improvement, which they showed already over the course of last season, they’ll be in the top half of the SEC. I’m not particularly worried about the OL next year, outside the Center spot. 

13 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

They put quality games together.

1 quality game versus Purdue who had an awful defense so it's not saying much.

2020 is in great shape! I'm worried about 2024. We don't have a single OT on the squad for '24. Not even one or two to develop. The sky is falling! :)

10 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

After next season, we're likely replacing all five starters on the OL, which is bordering on unheard of.

Isn't that what we did this past season? I thought all five 2017 regular starters were seniors and we started five new guys in '18.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Isn't that what we did this past season? I thought all five 2017 regular starters were seniors and we started five new guys in '18.

And that worked out great!

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And that worked out great!

anch.gif

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Every year, though?

Also, of our five OL positions, how many do you feel played SEC-level football last year? How many do you expect will this year? 

Also, Oklahoma is the only team on that list that consistently recruits at a high level. We should not be comparing ourselves to Wisconsin or West Virginia in any way, shape or form, and really we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to Harbaugh-era Michigan. 

Further to that point: How many playoff teams over the last 5 years have depended on multiple transfers for success?

Man. All anyone is saying is that OL recruiting and development needs to be better. It is weird that this idea is getting pushback. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man. All anyone is saying is that OL recruiting and development needs to be better. It is weird that this idea is getting pushback. 

Safety and LB has been under recruited as far as numbers as well but they have both been developed nicely and have gained a good bit of experience.  Any one if them could step in and there would be little drop off. That's depth. 

12 hours ago, auol72 said:

Out at the Kansas St part. We don't compete with the Kansas St's of the world. We compete in the SEC West. It is a recipe for disaster to look for STARTERS on the OL in grad transfers or even transfers. The grad transfers have helped AU but that player isn't always going to be available. 

And also damn at the Jackie Sherrill part. We want to strive to be "moo state" under Jackie Sherrell? Damn people. 

JMO but with new transfer rules and good quality transfers if you are not active in the transfer market you are missing some good opportunities.

Also the risk seems lower...kids are older, probably more ready to play than most incoming HS prospects.

Just now, AU64 said:

JMO but with new transfer rules and good quality transfers if you are not active in the transfer market you are missing some good opportunities.

Also the risk seems lower...kids are older, probably more ready to play than most incoming HS prospects.

No one is saying don't look at the grad transfer market. You better. But you better not rely on the grad transfer market to get over 1/2 of your starters on the OL. Don't see or know why this is such a hard concept. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

oh my god wow GIF

Wow. Thanks for the laugh this morning. This made my day. Can't make stuff up like this. 

Archived