Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mikey said:

If that ain't depth I don't know what is.

giphy.gif

As Bird has told you more times than Golf is years old, depth is not a measure of raw numbers at a position. It's a measure of quality players behind a starter at a position. If the backs ups can't come in & play at an adequate level then no, there isn't depth at that position.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, ellitor said:

We checked with one potential target who recently spoke to Auburn -- Cam'Ron Johnson of Texas, who said the Tigers didn't visit him last week and there were no new developments.

I don't understand us not offering him, especially with our needs.  I broadcasted one his playoff games this year.  The dude is a monster and athletic as hell.  He'd need a RS to clean up a few things, but we'd be stupid not to offer.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

As Bird has told you more times than Golf is years old, depth is not a measure of raw numbers at a position. It's a measure of quality players behind a starter at a position. If the backs ups can't come in & play at an adequate level then no, there isn't depth at that position.

That was uncalled for e .................................but it was funny......

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't understand us not offering him

I can if he is actually an OG prospect for college which would be my guess with him being 6'4 unless he has long arms. The staff felt really good about Bell before last weekend & still may like where they stand now.

Even at OT it's possible, if not likely, the staff likes the potential of Alec Jackson moving over from the DL & see more potential in Asaboro who is 6'8.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's a measure of quality players behind a starter at a position.

So how did all those incapable back-up players get scholarships and what's to say that the guys we are drooling over are any better?     At the time we signed the current crop of back-ups we probably thought they were going to play well. …..So how is it that any one is "must get" ?:dunno:     Is it just the hope that if we sign enough, at least some of them will be "players" ?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

So how did all those incapable back-up players get scholarships

They all had potential in the staff's eyes. Not every recruit pans out as a college player. In fact, over 50% don't on the whole.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

what's to say that the guys we are drooling over are any better?

Nothing but you still have to keep trying to acquire the best talent you can.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

At the time we signed the current crop of back-ups we probably thought they were going to play well

Hopeful is a better word than thought but obviously that's the case.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

So how is it that any one is "must get" ?

Because as I said above you have to keep trying. It's a numbers game. The more you think is quality you get the more chance you have of guys panning out.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Is it just the hope that if we sign enough, at least some of them will be "players" ?

Yes. It's that way for every team.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They all had potential in the staff's eyes. Not every recruit pans out as a college player. In fact, over 50% don't on the whole.

Nothing but you still have to keep trying to acquire the best talent you can.

Hopeful is a better word than though but obviously that's the case.

Because as I said above you have to keep trying. It's a numbers game. The more you think is quality you get the more chance you have of guys panning out.

I think he was being rhetorical, but your post is spot on.   "Got to keep chopping wood."

23 hours ago, AUDevil said:

FSU is always going to recruit well.  They've got the girls from FAMU a couple of streets away, a good party scene, and former players and alumni stay connected.  Their new stadium enhancements are very nice and now they're pedaling a new football only facility that is in design phases.  Something for momma's to think about though, and I hope our staff is pushing this...Tallahassee ranks #1 in Florida in violent crimes and #1 or 2 in STDs.

Yea and for anyone alive back then who can forget Ted Bundy setting up camp at the Chi-O sorority

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Understand and I make that argument all the time when people complain about some guy not panning out or transferring.....but knowing it's such a risk, just thinking you might be able to pull the trigger earlier on ones who will take the offer rather than hold out (and perhaps miss) some guys who are probably as risky.  But guess when we get this late in the day, every reasonable looking prospect becomes a "must have".    

Just me I guess, but don't think I would ever get in the situation that I had 8 or 10 slots to fill in Feb.  If the kid won't sign in December, I'm moving along to the next one right then. Maybe  keep a couple slots open but certainly not a third of them. 

FSU where you don't get arrested for doing criminal things or thrown off the team....that is unless you are 3rd string and an example needs to be made...there was a incident where a player stole a scooter...trashed it and the police were saying that the guy borrowed it until the student's dad got involved and then someone bought the kid a new scooter or something to that effect....

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

but knowing it's such a risk, just thinking you might be able to pull the trigger earlier on ones who will take the offer rather than hold out (and perhaps miss) some guys who are probably as risky. 

Preaching to the choir. If our staff had a better plan in place to take some plan Bs at the high school level, particularly at OL & every down back maybe we wouldn't have the struggles we do now. Think about this on the OL. We have only taken 8 high school OL in the last near 4 full classes while Bama, UGA, & LSU have taken 17-18.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just me I guess, but don't think I would ever get in the situation that I had 8 or 10 slots to fill in Feb.

Having an early signing period now no staff wants to do that.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

We have only taken 8 high school OL in the last near 4 full classes while Bama, UGA, & LSU have taken 17-18.

Just for 💩 and giggles...how many of those are OT...not was in HS, but will be for AU?

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just for 💩 and giggles...how many of those are OT...not was in HS, but will be for AU?

isnt ashley the only OT that has played OT?  

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

how many of those are OT...not was in HS, but will be for AU?

3 if Osborne ends up inside. 4 if he ends up at RT.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Preaching to the choir. If our staff had a better plan in place to take some plan Bs at the high school level, particularly at OL & every down back maybe we wouldn't have the struggles we do now. Think about this on the OL. We have only taken 8 high school OL in the last near 4 full classes while Bama, UGA, & LSU have taken 17-18.

Having an early signing period now no staff wants to do that.

With offensive line  after their junior year equal focus should be going into the next level guys if our top tier guys have not committed.  It needs to be clear that there are only so many spots and we want those that are committed to us.  Now if a top guy decides late you make room or another commit may change his mind, which if he does who cares because nobody wants a guy who is afraid to compete.

14 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

isnt ashley the only OT that has played OT?  

He was asking how many will play OT at AU regardless of the position they played in high school. But to answer your question no. We had a whopping 2 with Trox being the other.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

With offensive line  after their junior year equal focus should be going into the next level guys if our top tier guys have not committed.  It needs to be clear that there are only so many spots and we want those that are committed to us.  Now if a top guy decides late you make room or another commit may change his mind, which if he does who cares because nobody wants a guy who is afraid to compete.

Disagree with the approach. There should be focus on multiple plans for positions through the entire last 2 years before a signing class, casting a real wider net so to speak. Problem has been all too often when we miss on our tier 1s Gus has not liked tier 2s enough to take most instead opting for the undergrad or grad transfer route.

I just want to drop tbe OL cross training crap. That is a strategy for the poors. Build up a quality depth chart across the line and go next man up from there. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I just want to drop tbe OL cross training crap. That is a strategy for the poors. Build up a quality depth chart across the line and go next man up from there. 

I could have it backwards but I thought that was dropped when Hand left. I know one OL coach believed in it & the other didn't. Can't remember which is which.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I could have it backwards but I thought that was dropped when Hand left. I know one OL coach believed in it & the other didn't. Can't remember which is which.

I know for sure Hand believed in it. He had our O linemen all over tbe place. You could be right and I hope you’re right. It’s a quality shot in tbe arm strategy but not really something that needs to be done long term. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Disagree with the approach. There should be focus on multiple plans for positions through the entire last 2 years before a signing class, casting a real wider net so to speak. Problem has been all too often when we miss on our tier 1s Gus has not liked tier 2s enough to take most instead opting for the undergrad or grad transfer route.

Basically agree with you and hopefully Gus realizes that he is not a good evaluator of talent, i know, not gonna happen.  My personal thought is the last 2 years, but with Gus it seems we are still identifying talent at that point, that is why I went with what I did, which of course is another problem.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think the cross training was done just to find 5 good enough o-lineman to play, sadly.

Maybe they learn someth ing....but lots of schools trying to figure the impact of early signing...and how to deal with the kids who want to wait.

Archived