Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

No, you are missing the point, either deliberately or not doesn't really matter. The point is that a backup should be ready to step up and do his best when called upon. That's what Gehrig did. Said backup doesn't have to be as sensational as Gehrig but some may be sensational in their own right. Others may be only adequate, but all should be ready to step up and do their best. Leff comes to mind, all he needed was an opportunity. How many Leffs do we have in this OL group? Five? Ten? Who knows, but the potential is there for any number of them to do what Leff did.

Doing your best is a great concept and all, but when our biggest rivals are throwing out one 5* future NFL D lineman after another, you better be ready to counter with the same.  You're essentially advocating bringing a knife to a gun fight.  Everyone else here is saying screw that, bring the guns.   Yeah, you may have one Leff on occasion, but the numbers bear out that 5* and 4* prospects consistently have higher impacts on teams than others.

Wanna know why we beat the hell out of Purdue?  It wasn't scheme.  It was because our players were bigger, faster, stronger, and generally more talented.  This ain't rocket science man.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You're essentially advocating bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I'm not advocating that. What I'm saying is if a knife is what you've got, get to within 21 feet of the enemy and use your knife.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not advocating that. What I'm saying is if a knife is what you've got, get to within 21 feet of the enemy and use your knife.

And what we're saying is stop buying knives when you know you need guns.  That's our complaint with O-line recruiting and depth.  We get beaten out for the guns and settle for knives on the o-line, which is a recipe for disaster.  No matter how much you sharpen that knife, it doesn't beat a gun consistently.

I'm not into good effort and patting a kid on the butt for trying hard.  I want to freaking win.  And to win consistently in the SEC, you need high caliber guns, especially in the trenches.

Just now, ellitor said:

Guys just let Mikey have his last word. He's not going to stop & when he has made a decision nothing is going to change it.

Thing is he hasn't even made a decision or committed to a viewpoint. Every time the last thing he said is shown to be ridiculous, he just takes it in a different direction and says whatever the next dumb thing that pops into his head is. I have to admit, he's putting very little effort into whatever this act is that he's putting on, and he's getting results. 

HOWEVER... you've graciously let us stay off topic for a long time now. Thank you. Back to recruiting. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

If I have the staff you described and don't have one of those interns ready to plug and play, I've done a poor job of managing. Interns, when given an opportunity, can be a very pleasant surprise. Lou Gehrig was an intern until Wally Pipp decided to take a day off.

Wow, in one post (referencing @Brad_ATX post), you have destroyed some of your favorite arguments, namely:

Gus and his staff are not to blame for the shape Auburn is in due to inexperienced backups and

If Lou Gehrig was quality depth then there is a difference between quality depth and just depth.

Did I misinterpret what you were trying to say?

I hope Auburn finishes strong next Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Wow, in one post (referencing @Brad_ATX post), you have destroyed some of your favorite arguments, namely:

Gus and his staff are not to blame for the shape Auburn is in due to inexperienced backups and

If Lou Gehrig was quality depth then there is a difference between quality depth and just depth.

Did I misinterpret what you were trying to say?

I hope Auburn finishes strong next Wednesday.

It's something, ain't it? 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

The only people you're fooling with this blather are those who want to be fooled. I count six scholarship linebackers. The rest are walkons or, in McBryde's case, an injured player that isn't expected to ever play again.  There will be around 20 SCHOLARSHIP O-line players after the new signees check in. Two deep scholarship linebackers, 4 deep scholarship O-line. Them's the numbers, read 'em and weep.

Wait a sec! You said quality doesn't matter when discussing depth   If that's correct, then being on or off a scholarship shouldn't matter.

So which is it? Is there depth at LB (13) or is there a lack of depth (6) because of the lack of quality in that depth?

31 minutes ago, fredst said:

Y'all should back off and just let the tilting at windmills continue. I agree that it's weird but admirable, albeit in a twisted way.

tenor.gif

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wait a sec! You said quality doesn't matter when discussing depth   If that's correct, then being on or off a scholarship shouldn't matter.

So which is it? Is there depth at LB (13) or is there a lack of depth (6) because of the lack of quality in that depth?

Super excited about the thoughtful and honest response you'll undoubtedly be receiving.

there are other reasons to move AJ to offense even though depth at OT is certainly one of them. He is buried on the DL and in all likelihood will never start over there. He has tools and good quickness to potentially make a good OT. Thus, there is need both ways so it is possibly win/win. Tuberville always liked moving DL guys to OL because they were generally more athletic. Seems like a good possible move for all. May not work out but he is not going to see field at DL so why not try it. We also can hope that our last reach for a DL guy to move to OL can have the light come on. We brought Prince Sammons in knowing he had great heighth and was more athletic than many high school OLs but for whatever reason even thought he has gained the weight he has just not blossomed. He could. He was a 4 star talent guy. It was not like he was a 2 star guy. Maybe the light will come on for him. If some of these talented guys make up their mind they want to play a liability could turn to a strength. It is up to them and all the coaching in the world will not change the lack of desire and guts.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Super excited about the thoughtful and honest response you'll undoubtedly be receiving.

Something along the lines of...

Quality undoubtedly matters in relation to depth to the extent that it doesn't, in which said quality and depth can be universally applied to all positions soley that do or do not have in fact the necessary depth as determined by it's quality. Basically, the nature of depth negates all aspects of quality if said depth is quality. If said depth is unqualified then the quality then reinforces the nature of the depth.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Quality undoubtedly matters in relation to depth to the extent that it doesn't, in which said quality and depth can be universally applied to all positions soley that do or do not have in fact the necessary depth as determined by it's quality. Basically, the nature of depth negates all aspects of quality if said depth is quality. If said depth is unqualified then the quality then reinforces the nature of the depth.

Image result for chasing tail gif

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The brilliance of this post cannot be overstated. Would bring a tear to Wally Pipp's eye

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Y'all should back off and just let the tilting at windmills continue. I agree that it's weird but admirable, albeit in a twisted way.

Huh? Please state bluntly for those of us message impaired.

Just now, ellitor said:

Huh? Please state bluntly for those of us message impaired.

Mikey's Don Quixote-like arguing incessantly about OL depth, RB and LB quality/quantity, Malzahn's coaching brilliance, etc. Hell, you name it, and he's constantly carping about something (in fact, this post seems a likely target, lol).

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Guys just let Mikey have his last word. He's not going to stop & when he has made a decision nothing is going to change it.

I see the dislike Bird. Do you want him to keep going on & on, derailing threads everywhere? Him saying the last thing on something doesn't mean he wins. It just means everyone else is ready to move on.

Just now, fredst said:

Mikey's Don Quixote-like arguing incessantly about OL depth, RB and LB quality/quantity, Malzahn's coaching brilliance, etc. Hell, you name it, and he's constantly carping about something (in fact, this post seems a likely target, lol).

I'm ashamed to admit I know nothing of Don Quixote other than I've heard the name before.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I'm ashamed to admit I know nothing of Don Quixote other than I've heard the name before.

Well, now you do, because he's like Mikey. 

Archived