Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No one is saying don't look at the grad transfer market. You better. But you better not rely on the grad transfer market to get over 1/2 of your starters on the OL. Don't see or know why this is such a hard concept. 

The transfer route did not end well for Jackie.  You build your foundation on unstable soil....

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

oh my god wow GIF

Wow. Thanks for the laugh this morning. This made my day. Can't make stuff up like this. 

And yet...

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No one is saying don't look at the grad transfer market. You better. But you better not rely on the grad transfer market to get over 1/2 of your starters on the OL. Don't see or know why this is such a hard concept. 

True...but I doubt anyone actually plans on that....sometimes it just becomes necessary....and who ever plans on the situation where the they need to find a transfer for their most important position.....yet QBs are floating all over the place.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but I doubt anyone actually plans on that....sometimes it just becomes necessary....and who ever plans on the situation where the they need to find a transfer for their most important position.....yet QBs are floating all over the place.

Goes back to the point earlier by Bird I believe that when you are using transfers at a yearly basis for 1 position as we have for the OL going back to getting Golson from Ole Miss, it shows a clear problem with a team's high school recruiting &/or player development. If we bring in transfer OL it should be because we have developed kids enough to go pro early, not because we have holes to fill because the staff doesn't feel comfortable playing kids that are already on roster.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yes, because there is 1 QB spot and the backup is not going to get meaningful reps. And with freshmen and sophomores regularly winning the job, the backup might not ever get a chance to start. Furthermore, it seems that most of the QBs that transfer are leaving power programs that have stockpiled 4-5 blue chip guys, whereas the vast majority of programs are lucky to get 1 or 2 quality candidates and hope that one of them pans out. And you can plug in a Cam Newton or Baker Mayfield and win right away.

Offensive line, on the other hand, is a position group that is notoriously dependent upon experience and chemistry that is only achieved with time and repetition.

Haven’t been paying attention to hut hut crootin since the early signing day. But I saw the all knowing Mike Ferrell tweet that he expects AU to close strong. Who is AU favored to sign? Hopefully a high quality OT and another good LB

First I want to make sure you guys who are perfectly fine constantly going after transfers realize that the majority of those players are not good enough to see the field for their current teams. But we are perfectly fine going after their rejects... Or they play at smaller schools and likely didn't receive any major offers (Driscoll.) So if these cats aren't good enough to warrant offers from major schools, or aren't good enough to see the field at their original school, exactly why is it ok for us to gobble up players who weren't good enough to begin with?!? 

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I don't think you'll see a major drop-off next year. Troxell, Hamm, and Sharp can spell our starters. That's not a major concern for 2019. The Center position is a concern but not because of drop-off between Kim and Brahms (or Irvin). It's a concern because neither Kim nor Brahms looked like physical, SEC players this year.

Again, the issue/question mark for the offense next year is really QB, not OL. If we have major issues, it's going to be at QB/Center. 

After next season, we're likely replacing all five starters on the OL, which is bordering on unheard of. As we sit here today, you'd say Trox, Hamm, and Brahms are going to be in good position to win starting jobs, but after that, total guessing game. Regardless of who wins those positions, we'll have zero experience and few (if any) players that are considered plug-and-play linemen. We have to hope Ashley comes back and turns a corner. We have to hope Manning continues to develop at Guard. We have to hope there are good options on the transfer market. We have to hope the younger guys really develop (that's Stutts, Irvin, and all the guys from this class).

It's going to be a motley crew, moreso than what we had at the start of 2018, which was a mess. If Grimes can sign four guys in this class, put out a competent-to-good OL in 2019, sign another 5-6 in 2020, and patch something even in the vicinity of decent in 2020... that guy will have earned his money. He inherited a complete mess.

Trox- yeah I believe he has the ability to plug and play. 

Hamm- hasn't shown anything yet to say he could be plugged in and play at a high level, especially at tackle.

Sharp- Sharp is a 5th year senior. The coaches thought so much of Sharps ability, they went out, recruited, signed, and started a transfer from UMass over him. He is a 5th year senior. Last seasons OL was atrocious and he wasn't good enough to play any meaningful snaps on a horrible line. What in the world makes you think he has the ability to plug and play?!?

I don't have too much concern about the center position. Brahms will be a good one. He simply hadn't regained his strength after breaking both legs in consecutive seasons. Brahms just needs time. I expect to see a totally different player maybe in 2019 but without question by 2020. And of course he didn't look like a physical player. He snapped one leg and missed his Sr year of high school. Then in spring of 2018, he broke his other leg. It takes more than a few months to get back up to speed... especially after two broken legs.

And yeah I hope Manning can turn the corner at guard, but... Guard... The one position on the OL we have talent and depth. We need more OTs and not more OGs.

And again, signing 4 to 5 OL in a class is meaningless if all 4 or 5 of them are guards. We need tackles. We have plenty of guards. Grimes needs to sign tackles... And not more tweeners like Osborne and Hamm. We need legit OTs.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Just trust me when I say we are in a real good spot with MAR.

I got ya E. I do trust you. There are only a couple of people on this site who I 100% trust. And you are one of the few. 

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

So...

Osborne, a TF, that most think will be a guard

Sammons, a converted DT that hasn't been able to put it together...yet

Hamm, has only seen time at guard and couldn't displace Horton this year

Jackson, a SDE that will be in his first year of ever playing on the OL

Yep...not worried at all!

Exactly. Some people in here just look at numbers and say we are good. They clearly don't understand the difference between OTs and OGs else they wouldn't suggest we are anywhere close to being in good shape.

15 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Imagine Oklahoma without Kyler Murray.

Wisconsin without Russell Wilson.

West Virginia without Will Grier.

Oklahoma without Baker Mayfield.

Michigan without Shea Patterson.

Granted, I've described all QB's, but these are all pretty good programs that have gotten their best player for a year or two through a transfer. It's not necessarily a bad thing to bring in transfers at a position of immediate need.

No, it's not a bad thing to bring in transfers in positions of need. But it's like this. There is a problem that is making us need to bring transfers in each and every season. We shouldn't be in the position to NEED to bring them in every season. You SHOULD be bringing in transfers because of injuries or because you had an unexpected departure. You don't say eh, it's ok we missed on every OT we went after so we can just bring in a transfer. That's a way to lose. And under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a program in it's 7th season with the same coach rely on transfers as heavily as we have on the line. QBs, RBs, and WRs are a different story. They are more easily replaced. Talented OL on the other hand... not so easy to replace. Because you will get either a lower division transfer, a grad transfer that has 1 or if you are lucky 2 seasons, or you will get a player who wasn't good enough to make the field of the team they signed with...

Think of it this way... NFL teams become championship teams through the draft, not through free agency.

3 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Also read a rumor that Pickens may not qualify? Wtf?

Been discussed off an on for a year or so in the Pickens thread.

10 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Who is AU favored to sign?

11 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Hopefully a high quality OT

Alec Jackson is moving from DE to OT & we are trying to get Ira Henry but I think he picks FSU. I think we end up taking an undergrad OT after Spring practices are done or a Grad Transfer OT after next season.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Goes back to the point earlier by Bird I believe that when you are using transfers at a yearly basis for 1 position as we have for the OL going back to getting Golson from Ole Miss, it shows a clear problem with a team's high school recruiting &/or player development. If we bring in transfer OL it should be because we have developed kids enough to go pro early, not because we have holes to fill because the staff doesn't feel comfortable playing kids that are already on roster.

OK...that's fair....but ….Just a question..... if you are not able to sign the quality of HS kids for a given position,  is it better to just go ahead a sign what you can get....or do you wait and try to pick up some better players a year or two later by means of transfer?   I agree you want to build with youth ….if you can. 

As for NFL building with the draft.....looks like the Browns should have been in the Super Bowl with all they top draft picks...but that is just one pick and after they are no better than anyone else.   I think the NFL teams win by retaining their top players....whereas in baseball, the top teams are very heavy on free agency and seems the teams develop young talent in the minors to use as trade bait for a player to fill a critical position.

Plans don't always work out....and coaches just do what they have to do. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

if you are not able to sign the quality of HS kids for a given position,  is it better to just go ahead a sign what you can get

No coach signs a kid they don't think can develop. Roster spots are too precious to do or think otherwise.

o you wait and try to pick up some better players a year or two later by means of transfer?

If you have to look that far out then you have something wrong in recruiting or development.

As for NFL building with the draft.....looks like the Browns should have been in the Super Bowl with all they top draft picks...but that is just one pick and after they are no better than anyone else.   I think the NFL teams win by retaining their top players....whereas in baseball, the top teams are very heavy on free agency and seems the teams develop young talent in the minors to use as trade bait for a player to fill a critical position.

Talking NFL in this topic is not relatable.

Plans don't always work out....and coaches just do what they have to do. :dunno:

Exactly.

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The transfer route did not end well for Jackie.  You build your foundation on unstable soil....

The transfer thing has changed a lot in recent years and the changes are still coming with virtual "free agency" just around the corner in my opinion.  It should not be a way of life but it's gonna be more of a factor in the future.  Already a big issue in basketball with good players coming and going regularly. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

And that worked out great! 

Can't follow the conversation? No mention was made of how it worked out. The comment was made that it was "bordering unheard of" for an entire OL to be replaced from one season to the next. Perhaps so, but that's exactly what Auburn had to deal with last season.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

oh my god wow GIF

Wow. Thanks for the laugh this morning. This made my day. Can't make stuff up like this. 

I see we have another one that's so eager to jump on the bandwagon that he didn't bother to understand what the subject was. Look up a few posts at my reply to Bird. Maybe you will be rewarded with clarity of vision.

7 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Surprised they didn’t try to land more LBs

They did try. They are going to end up with 3 with one being a big time project.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

They did try. They are going to end up with 3 with one being a big time project.

I think in the long run Brown ends up as another Eric Smith at H-back. Hopefully without Smith's issues. Now, they may start him off at LB out of desperation for numbers but somehow I think he ends up on offense. That's what my Ouija board says anyway.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Now, they may start him off at LB out of desperation for numbers

8 LBs on roster for only 2 playing LBs for the most part isn't being desperate for numbers.

4 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

we got enough quality pass rushers this season with Coe, Big Cat, and a really impressive Jibunor

Jibunor would make an easier transition to college LB than TD IMO.

Archived