Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think the cross training was done just to find 5 good enough o-lineman to play, sadly.

True...consider Braden Smith.   And JMO...but to some extent what a guy played in HS is barely relevant to what he might be able to do at AU.  Coaches at all levels fill needs....and recruiter should be able to see the future, not just accept what some HS coach decided as to which position a guy should play...often out of necessity.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just for 💩 and giggles...how many of those are OT...not was in HS, but will be for AU?

Again with this "quality matters" nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

not just accept what some HS coach decided as to which position a guy should play

Literally no college coach does this. Any coach thinking so doing so should be not coaching college ball.

IIRC, the cross-training is a Herb Hand philosophy that Grimes doesn't subscribe to. And I think it just happened to coincide with legit depth issues while Hand was here. 

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Literally no college coach does this. Any coach thinking so doing so should be not coaching college ball.

Not surprised about coaches ..but many fans seem to think that the HS position is where a guy should play in college....counting tackles or guards, etc

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Not surprised about coaches ..but many fans seem to think that the HS position is where a guy should play in college....counting tackles or guards, etc

Haven't seen many fans think that. I think you may be misinterpreting them a bit.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

As Bird has told you more times than Golf is years old, depth is not a measure of raw numbers at a position. It's a measure of quality players behind a starter at a position. If the backs ups can't come in & play at an adequate level then no, there isn't depth at that position.

I care not how many times Bird has said that, repetition doesn't make an incorrect statement correct. Having 3&1/2 deep in scholarship players across the O-line is plenty of depth.  If we sign some of the O-line targets we're offering we'll have four deep, 20 scholarship players vying for five starting jobs. Even Poseidon knows that's plenty of depth and he's the Master of the Depths.

It's not necessary to be three deep in future NFL draft picks to have depth.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

depth is not a measure of raw numbers at a position. It's a measure of quality players behind a starter at a position. If the backs ups can't come in & play at an adequate level then no, there isn't depth at that position.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Haven't seen many fans think that. I think you may be misinterpreting them a bit.

Not to debate it further but you use the term "back up at a position"  ...and if you have a dozen or more OL players there is no reason not to have a back up at every position. ..best guy available.  Now if you draw blanks on a dozen prospects,....well that's a problem of course.    But most NFL teams because of limited squad numbers expect their OL guys to play either side and either set.  All have their best position of course but they, and AU offensive linemen should be able to play effectively at more than one spot...thus the cross-training..

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Now if you draw blanks on a dozen prospects

Don't know the exact number- jury's still out on a few guys- but we have absolutely drawn blanks on several guys. Including some of the more highly rated ones. 

We do not have depth. We have bodies. Big difference. Especially when Grimes is doing everything he can just to get the 1s up to SEC standard, much less turn the 2s and 3s into chicken salad. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not to debate it further but you use the term "back up at a position"  ...and if you have a dozen or more OL players there is no reason not to have a back up at every position. ..best guy available.  Now if you draw blanks on a dozen prospects,....well that's a problem of course.    But most NFL teams because of limited squad numbers expect their OL guys to play either side and either set.  All have their best position of course but they, and AU offensive linemen should be able to play effectively at more than one spot...thus the cross-training..

Not sure why you replied to me with that. I really haven't been a part of the cross training discussion (which is what your post is really about) other than saying Hand liked to cross train OLs.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't know the exact number- jury's still out on a few guys- but we have absolutely drawn blanks on several guys. Including some of the more highly rated ones. 

Yup. Been stated & implied countless times which makes me wonder why we are even still discussing it.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We do not have depth. We have bodies. Big difference. Especially when Grimes is doing everything he can just to get the 1s up to SEC standard, much less turn the 2s and 3s into chicken salad. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I care not how many times Bird has said that, repetition doesn't make an incorrect statement correct. Having 3&1/2 deep in scholarship players across the O-line is plenty of depth.  If we sign some of the O-line targets we're offering we'll have four deep, 20 scholarship players vying for five starting jobs. Even Poseidon knows that's plenty of depth and he's the Master of the Depths.

As you know there will be some that will leave the team for one reason or another. So the numbers we have now may not be the numbers we have after spring or going into fall camp. And I hate to say it but if some of these players will never contribute they need to be processed.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Huh! lol 

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Huh! lol 

Huh what? No college coach should base where to play a player in college based on a high school coaches' opinion. Listen to them yes but the college coach should have their own idea & make up their own mind on it.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Huh what? No college coach should base where to play a player in college based on a high school coaches' opinion. Listen to them yes but the college coach should have their own idea & make up their own mind on it.

It wasn’t your thought, but the way it was worded. I guess looking back it needed some commas. It’s all good 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Let's talk depth...

Owen Pappoe

Michael Harris

Chandler Wooten

K.J. Britt

Tanner Dean

Zakoby McClain

Josh Marsh

Barrett Tindall

Josh French

Craig Carter

Richard McBryde

Russ Logan

Devonte Booker

13 LB on the roster for 2 positions, sometimes 3. That's 4-6 deep at LB. With all that depth at LB, why are you so concerned about signing more LB in this class? If Britt or Wooten go down we can just sub in 5'11" 183 lb Russ Logan or 5'11 194 lb Craig Carter that should work out great! 

I'm thrilled both position groups are deep enough to compete successfully at a SEC and championship level and our concerns were obviously misguided. WE HAVE DEPTH EVERYWHERE!

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Look at this way.

You have a five key people at your office with all of the qualifications and experience necessary to perform the job assigned.  After that, you have 12 interns who haven't finished school yet.  Now let's say one of those key people leaves for a better opportunity.  Would you just plug and play an intern in the role because you have the numbers, or would you look for quality to fill it?

This is no different.  A warm body doesn't equal ability to play and compete at the SEC level.  Not every guy on scholarship turns out to be quality and we have severely missed on OL for a while now.  Just because they are going to school for free doesn't mean they can help us win on Saturdays.

This whole recruiting thing is so much easier now that quality isn't a concern. No wonder why teams aren't that concerned with it.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Oh my. 

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let's talk depth...

Owen Pappoe

Michael Harris

Chandler Wooten

K.J. Britt

Tanner Dean

Zakoby McClain

Josh Marsh

Barrett Tindall

Josh French

Craig Carter

Richard McBryde

Russ Logan

Devonte Booker

13 LB on the roster for 2 positions, sometimes 3. That's 4-6 deep at LB. With all that depth at LB, why are you so concerned about signing more LB in this class? If Britt or Wooten go down we can just sub in 5'11" 183 lb Russ Logan or 5'11 194 lb Craig Carter that should work out great! 

I'm thrilled both position groups are deep enough to compete successfully at a SEC and championship level and our concerns were obviously misguided. WE HAVE DEPTH EVERYWHERE!

Lol. 

Maybe our posters and coaches should be cross trained. Since quality is different than quantity. 

amirite!

I think I can save the day in this debate of semantics

Depth - having enough players at a position

Quality Depth - having multiple players of value at a position

In high school wrestling depth can make you a good team. Competition breeds success,  you're able to train the future and not have a fall off or hole in the lineup, and in a crisis you at least have a warm body which is better than nothing. You'll win some tournaments and duals so long as the coach is competent. 

Now, to be a great team, you need quality depth. If I have 60 wrestlers but they're all Freshmen with no experience, then I'm at best going to have an okay team but we're not making a run at the state title. Now, we can win the county and district but we'll eventually hit a wall.

Regardless of what type of depth you have, development is crucial. Without it both forms of depth will hit a wall.

But yes, I think we can all agree that it stings a little when we're scratching the bottom of the barrel for a 3* local kid we haven't recruited until recently since we missed on a handful of others. We all want all 5 star players and adequate numbers at each position.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let's talk depth...

Owen Pappoe

Michael Harris

Chandler Wooten

K.J. Britt

Tanner Dean

Zakoby McClain

Josh Marsh

Barrett Tindall

Josh French

Craig Carter

Richard McBryde

Russ Logan

Devonte Booker

At the risk of warranting a 3 Stooges Moe slap gif for missing something I hate to be the bearer of bad or at least uncertain news but while the staff likes the starters for the 2 inside backers we always use & the OLB we use sometimes they are uncertain of the quality depth behind them.

Archived