Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I care not how many times Bird has said that, repetition doesn't make an incorrect statement correct. Having 3&1/2 deep in scholarship players across the O-line is plenty of depth.  If we sign some of the O-line targets we're offering we'll have four deep, 20 scholarship players vying for five starting jobs. Even Poseidon knows that's plenty of depth and he's the Master of the Depths.

JohnsonSwingMiss.gif.opt.gif

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Warm Bodies- having enough players at a position 

Depth - having multiple players of value at a position

This is how I define those.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At the risk of warranting a 3 Stooges Moe slap gif for missing something I hate to be the bearer of bad or at least uncertain news but while the staff likes the starters for the 2 inside backers we always use & the OLB we use sometimes they are uncertain of the quality depth behind them.

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm'a stop you right there. Unless Shug Jordan looked at it that way, you're SOL. 

Shug didn't look at it that way and I know your joking hell we had over 120 or more on scholly and maybe 30 or more walk on's. example we had around 18 running backs for 2 sometimes 3 positions

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Shug didn't look at it that way and I know your joking but hell we had over 120 or more on scholly and maybe 30 or more walk on's

Much like bama today!!!

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Shug didn't look at it that way and I know your joking hell we had over 120 or more on scholly and maybe 30 or more walk on's. example we had around 18 running backs for 2 sometimes 3 positions

Well, as long as just one of them was any good, that was championship caliber depth!

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think I can save the day in this debate of semantics

Depth - having enough players at a position

Quality Depth - having multiple players of value at a position

In high school wrestling depth can make you a good team. Competition breeds success,  you're able to train the future and not have a fall off or hole in the lineup, and in a crisis you at least have a warm body which is better than nothing. You'll win some tournaments and duals so long as the coach is competent. 

Now, to be a great team, you need quality depth. If I have 60 wrestlers but they're all Freshmen with no experience, then I'm at best going to have an okay team but we're not making a run at the state title. Now, we can win the county and district but we'll eventually hit a wall.

Regardless of what type of depth you have, development is crucial. Without it both forms of depth will hit a wall.

But yes, I think we can all agree that it stings a little when we're scratching the bottom of the barrel for a 3* local kid we haven't recruited until recently since we missed on a handful of others. We all want all 5 star players and adequate numbers at each position.

I’m on board with this post, mainly because I love wrestling. But QUALITY DEPTH is why Bammer is playing for and winning Nattys at  an unprecedented rate.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, AU64 said:

How is FSU in any of these fights.....5-7 season,  facilities are not that great I hear, coach is being sued by former players.  Does possibility of immediate playing time really matter this much?   ...if so, wonder how bama and the other big time programs ever get anyone. 

Gonna really be disappointed if we lose any of these guys to FSU..

I agree 110%. FSU is a shell of what was once a formidable football program. The Doc has been pretty good with some recent predictions, and I predict that we will sign everyone of the players that have been picked by Ben Wolk. I hope all is well with you in your area of the NC mountains!

29 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I predict that we will sign everyone of the players that have been picked by Ben Wolk.

I think we get 4 of the 7 Ben picked & ask me about Charles Moore after his OV to LSU or Miss St this weekend.

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think we get 4 of the 7 Ben picked & ask me about Charles Moore after his OV to LSU or Miss St this weekend.

Which 4?

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let's talk depth...

Owen Pappoe

Michael Harris

Chandler Wooten

K.J. Britt

Tanner Dean

Zakoby McClain

Josh Marsh

Barrett Tindall

Josh French

Craig Carter

Richard McBryde

Russ Logan

Devonte Booker

13 LB on the roster for 2 positions, sometimes 3. That's 4-6 deep at LB. With all that depth at LB, why are you so concerned about signing more LB in this class? If Britt or Wooten go down we can just sub in 5'11" 183 lb Russ Logan or 5'11 194 lb Craig Carter that should work out great! 

I'm thrilled both position groups are deep enough to compete successfully at a SEC and championship level and our concerns were obviously misguided. WE HAVE DEPTH EVERYWHERE!

The only people you're fooling with this blather are those who want to be fooled. I count six scholarship linebackers. The rest are walkons or, in McBryde's case, an injured player that isn't expected to ever play again.  There will be around 20 SCHOLARSHIP O-line players after the new signees check in. Two deep scholarship linebackers, 4 deep scholarship O-line. Them's the numbers, read 'em and weep.

19 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Look at this way.

You have a five key people at your office with all of the qualifications and experience necessary to perform the job assigned.  After that, you have 12 interns who haven't finished school yet.  Now let's say one of those key people leaves for a better opportunity.  Would you just plug and play an intern in the role because you have the numbers, or would you look for quality to fill it?

This is no different.  A warm body doesn't equal ability to play and compete at the SEC level.  Not every guy on scholarship turns out to be quality and we have severely missed on OL for a while now.  Just because they are going to school for free doesn't mean they can help us win on Saturdays.

If I have the staff you described and don't have one of those interns ready to plug and play, I've done a poor job of managing. Interns, when given an opportunity, can be a very pleasant surprise. Lou Gehrig was an intern until Wally Pipp decided to take a day off.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If I have the staff you described and don't have one of those interns ready to plug and play, I've done a poor job of managing. Interns, when given an opportunity, can be a very pleasant surprise.

Oh man. You don't know what interns are?

11 hours ago, alexava said:

And which 7?

The other 3 he had picked are Moore, Bell, & Henry. His article is on the 1st page of the thread.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If I have the staff you described and don't have one of those interns ready to plug and play, I've done a poor job of managing. Interns, when given an opportunity, can be a very pleasant surprise. Lou Gehrig was an intern until Wally Pipp decided to take a day off.

1) You can't compare an intern to someone with years of experience in the field.  Sorry, but you just can't.  They don't have the skill set necessary to perform at the level needed.  That's the point.

2) Your Lou Gehrig example is laughable.  Calling him an intern is beyond ridiculous considering he was one of the most highly sought after amateur players in history to that point, during a period where players didn't spend years toiling in the Minor Leagues.  You were signed to play.  He was far from what could or would be considered an "intern".  Yes, he played behind Pipp briefly, but the talent gap is decidedly different between Gehrig and Pipp as well.  Seriously, research how much Lou's first contract was worth.  It was astronomical at the time for a rookie.  There was never an expectation of Pipp holding down the job for years over Gehrig.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) You can't compare an intern to someone with years of experience in the field.  Sorry, but you just can't.  They don't have the skill set necessary to perform at the level needed.  That's the point.

2) Your Lou Gehrig example is laughable.  Calling him an intern is beyond ridiculous considering he was one of the most highly sought after amateur players in history to that point, during a period where players didn't spend years toiling in the Minor Leagues.  You were signed to play.  He was far from what could or would be considered an "intern".  Yes, he played behind Pipp briefly, but the talent gap is decidedly different between Gehrig and Pipp as well.  Seriously, research how much Lou's first contract was worth.  It was astronomical at the time for a rookie.  There was never an expectation of Pipp holding down the job for years over Gehrig.

Our O-line backups got the same scholarship benefits as the guys ahead of them so they, like Gehrig, should be able to step up when called upon.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Our O-line backups got the same scholarship benefits as the guys ahead of them so they, like Gehrig, should be able to step up when called upon.

Gehrig was a once in a generation talent!  Stop comparing back ups to him.  It makes you look silly.  It's like saying someone should be able to step up and fill LeBron James' shoes just because they have the benefits of being on an NBA roster.  Not all talent is created equally.

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If I have the staff you described and don't have one of those interns ready to plug and play, I've done a poor job of managing.

Oh, by the way, you've finally admitted that Gus's many failures over these last few years have been a result of his own poor job performance. Congrats. Let the healing begin.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Gehrig was a once in a generation talent!  Stop comparing back ups to him.  It makes you look silly.  It's like saying someone should be able to step up and fill LeBron James' shoes just because they have the benefits of being on an NBA roster.  Not all talent is created equally.

No, you are missing the point, either deliberately or not doesn't really matter. The point is that a backup should be ready to step up and do his best when called upon. That's what Gehrig did. Said backup doesn't have to be as sensational as Gehrig but some may be sensational in their own right. Others may be only adequate, but all should be ready to step up and do their best. Leff comes to mind, all he needed was an opportunity. How many Leffs do we have in this OL group? Five? Ten? Who knows, but the potential is there for any number of them to do what Leff did.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, by the way, you've finally admitted that Gus's many failures over these last few years have been a result of his own poor job performance. Congrats. Let the healing begin.

We won't have five guys to play on the O-line next year? Who knew?

Archived