Latest Chatter On Every Target 1/29/19

ellitor

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wait a sec! You said quality doesn't matter when discussing depth   If that's correct, then being on or off a scholarship shouldn't matter.

I didn't say quality doesn't matter. I did say that 20 scholarship guys for five positions is plenty. I also said it's not necessary to be three deep with future NFL players to have good depth. A certain level of quality is there with a scholarship player, so yes, being on or off scholarship is an indicator of depth. Thus linebacker is thin, OL is not.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think he'll get the boot any year soon. Should that happen, I'll support our next coach without whining about how many carries he lets his backs have or griping about who he hires when I don't know squat about who is who in college coaching circles.

Yah about that.........

r.gif

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

What makes you think Gus and staff don't have "interns" ready to plug and play? They had to replace all five starters this past season and the OL got better as the season progressed. Those same guys will be back next season. There is depth behind them. You only think I disputed myself because you think the players we have are trash. I think Gus and staff have a bunch of good players. "The shape Auburn is in" is very good. Thanks to Gus.

Lou Gehrig is a perfect example of a second teamer stepping up when his time came. It happens with regularity and in all likelihood will happen with some of the guys we have on the squad right now. Depth becomes quality depth when a guy gets his chance and comes through.

I knew I misinterpreted it, thanks for the explanation. 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

He has a wonderful life away from the computer screen. Most days he drops by the 'puter early in the morning on his way to do something fun outside or late at night when he wants to catch up on things.

Impressive, celebrity status once you talk about yourself in 3rd party.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'd be surprised if JBG was here that long. What could be a bigger factor is that Mount Everest of a schedule next season.

Totally could happen, but I just can't shake the feeling I have that he coaches his @$$ off this season. Combined with veteran lines, and yeah.

On the other hand, maybe Brahms and Troxell step up and become full-time starters this season? I can always dream of the light coming on for Ashley, too, unlikely as that is.

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

maybe Brahms and Troxell step up and become full-time starters this season?

If Trox wins a starting spot I hope it's at OG & means Tega & Driscoll have improved more. Nothing against Horton. He seemed to be the weakest link in the chain last season besides the C spot. I'm in favor of all of our guys improving though before Mikey reads way more into my post that what is actually said.

It's sad I have to Mikey proof an argument for a post.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm in favor of all of our guys improving though before Mikey reads way more into my post that what is actually said.

It's sai=d I have to Mikey proof an argument for a post.

Mikey all in your head like dat’!  

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's sad I have to Mikey proof an argument for a post.

You should be thankful that I'm here to keep you on your toes.

21 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Impressive, celebrity status once you talk about yourself in 3rd party.

Such impressive status can't be given, it must be earned. Mikey has earned it!

My, my, my. People are acting like every University has quality depth at oline. You don't have to have 5 star talent to have quality depth. With that being said,  Auburn has NEVER had the talent or depth that uat, georgia, fsu, or even lsu has had. It's not just the current coaching staff but every staff since I can remember(Pat Dye) has had to scratch and fight to get highly rated recruits to commit to Auburn.

I never remember a time when Auburn has had top talent at every position with reliable back ups to plug and play. Our dline last season was the exception, but even that was underwhelming.  I am not understsnding the point of bickering other than trying to compare the talent of other Universities to ours.

Our oline coaches need to get the twenty scholarship 3, 4 and 5 star players to meet or exceed their potential.

CTT was, IMO, the best at getting the most out of his players. 

13 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

With that being said,  Auburn has NEVER had the talent or depth that uat, georgia, fsu, or even lsu has had.

Strongly disagree on the UGA, FSU, Pre Sabam Bama, & Pre Saban LSU parts of that statement. UGA is just now starting to get more talent & depth than us.

16 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I am not understsnding the point of bickering other than trying to compare the talent of other Universities to ours.

That wasn't being done, at least not from me. I just pointed out in near 4 full classes all our rivals have signed more than double the # of high school OL than we have. That's a problem on our end.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I just pointed out in near 4 full classes all our rivals have signed more than double the # of high school OL than we have. That's a problem on our end.

You seem to have access to all sorts of internet information. How many scholarship OL players will UAT or UGA go into this season with? Auburn will have 20, barring the unforseen. I'm wondering how their "doubling" us in signees relates to numbers on the squad. Are those teams carrying 40 OL players?

13 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

My, my, my. People are acting like every University has quality depth at oline. You don't have to have 5 star talent to have quality depth. With that being said,  Auburn has NEVER had the talent or depth that uat, georgia, fsu, or even lsu has had. It's not just the current coaching staff but every staff since I can remember(Pat Dye) has had to scratch and fight to get highly rated recruits to commit to Auburn.

I never remember a time when Auburn has had top talent at every position with reliable back ups to plug and play. Our dline last season was the exception, but even that was underwhelming.  I am not understsnding the point of bickering other than trying to compare the talent of other Universities to ours.

Our oline coaches need to get the twenty scholarship 3, 4 and 5 star players to meet or exceed their potential.

CTT was, IMO, the best at getting the most out of his players. 

You are quite correct, of course. Barring the odd year here and there, Auburn has never consistently out-recruited UAT, UGA, Florida, FSU, LSU or Tennessee. Yet we've held our own against them in all-time won/lost results. Even during the Shula years at UAT we didn't consistently out-recruit them. We've won against that bunch of schools by out-working and our-smarting them. We need good players of course but if we can just stay in the hunt recruiting-wise we will win more games than some might think.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

You seem to have access to all sorts of internet information. How many scholarship OL players will UAT or UGA go into this season with? Auburn will have 20, barring the unforseen. I'm wondering how their "doubling" us in signees relates to numbers on the squad. Are those teams carrying 40 OL players?

Give it a rest man. You just sound ignorant.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

No. I just decided to not be a lazy ass & counted how many each of our Rivals & us signed in that 4 year span. TBH your incessant schtick isn't worth me doing any research for. If you want to know how many schollied OL rival teams have go to the team sites yourself & find out. Oh & if you are going to post a number for AU at least try to get right. AU has 14 scholarshipped OL if you count Bill Taylor. 15 if Tucker Brown is on scholly. I honestly wouldn't count Bill Taylor since he can't be used for more than snapping the ball (yes I know that's important but he is not an every down OL option.) So 13 or 14 schollied OL. We have 2 signed, Alec Jackson will be moving over from the DL, & we could add 2 but 1 looks more likely on Wednesday for a grand total of 17-18 every down usable schollied OL.

19 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Actually he's making sense...but not many people want to hear it since his points don't support the preconceived viewpoints.  An old fart like him has seen a lot of AU in his day ..as have I, and opinions based on our observations deserve a bit more respect.   Don't have to agree but also no need to be so arrogant as to suggest that your opinions are more correct. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually he's making sense...but not many people want to hear it since his points don't support the preconceived viewpoints.  An old fart like him has seen a lot of AU in his day ..as have I, and opinions based on our observations deserve a bit more respect.   Don't have to agree but also no need to be so arrogant as to suggest that your opinions are more correct. 

Well seeing as his whole argument is based around the fact that we “have 20 OL” which we don’t... I’m not gonna sit here and let someone spout out nonsense and let people think it’s factual.

edit: just because you’ve seen a lot of AU football doesn’t magically get you respect.

Did a quick look at the bama roster......have 16 OL listed  and UGa seems to have 18 listed... 

Not sure what that proves, did not see which ones were walk on players so not sure how many are active game time players.

I will acknowledge that when you sign a small number relative to the position requirements you need to get it right....which is why I sometimes wonder why we announce just signing one RB or something like that.   Blow it on that one guy and you've blown the who recruiting season for that position. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well seeing as his whole argument is based around the fact that we “have 20 OL” which we don’t... I’m not gonna sit here and let someone spout out nonsense and let people think it’s factual.

edit: just because you’ve seen a lot of AU football doesn’t magically get you respect.

OK...that's fine...but just because you bark louder does not get it either.....like my sister's dog...hear that dog barking from another room and you think she was a terror....but when you see the ball of fluff you wonder what's there to back it up...:)

43 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

What's ignorant is claiming depth is a problem when it's not. Asking for opponent's numbers is not unreasonable. About three years ago I was being hounded for saying our linebacker depth was weak when we had seven scholarship linebackers for three positions. I went to the UAT site and counted 16 scholarship linebackers on their team.

Someone claiming that they are signing twice as many as we are should be willing to go there, count numbers and prove me wrong. If, as has been claimed, UAT has signed 16 OL prospects in the last two years, then after attrition they should still have well north of 25 on their squad. I don't think that's the case.

I can't believe there is an actual argument going on about if AU is looking good on the OL or not. We've had to bring in back to back bandaids for the OT position. If the depth/quality/quantity/talent requires you to bring in band aids to patch holes then your not doing something right.  

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What's ignorant is claiming depth is a problem when it's not. Asking for opponent's numbers is not unreasonable. About three years ago I was being hounded for saying our linebacker depth was weak when we had seven scholarship linebackers for three positions. I went to the UAT site and counted 16 scholarship linebackers on their team.

Someone claiming that they are signing twice as many as we are should be willing to go there, count numbers and prove me wrong. If, as has been claimed, UAT has signed 16 OL prospects in the last two years, then after attrition they should still have well north of 25 on their squad. I don't think that's the case.

The bodies are there for depth. But the talent isn't. That's the deal here. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The bodies are there for depth. But the talent isn't. That's the deal here. 

Lets give it time and see. It's often been claimed that OL player development takes a longer time than any other position. The talent is good enough to have 20 scholarship players available. Maybe they'll turn out to be winning SEC players, maybe not but I don't see any justification for the panic about this position.

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Oh & if you are going to post a number for AU at least try to get right. AU has 14 scholarshipped OL if you count Bill Taylor. 15 if Tucker Brown is on scholly. I honestly wouldn't count Bill Taylor since he can't be

I counted the roster provided by ITAT three times to be certain before posting about us having 20. 15 plus Jackson plus two early signees  plus two expected signees =20 all day long.

Archived