GwillMac6

41.3 Million from SEC revenue

Recommended Posts

I am sure some of this will obviously go towards building that football only facility. Right guys?! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Could buy a few 5* RB’s and a good Oline too. 

Could also buy out someone's contract. Just saying.....😀

Edited by cctiger
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not to derail, but they get the scholarship, unlimited food, free dorm (nice one too),  a cost of living stipend, and most get 5 grand from FASFA each year. 

 

I was a fundraiser for AU as a student. I raised thousands for the university. I believe for the year it was close to 2 million raised by the group. We all made minimum wage, paid for school, food, and housing. 

And a couple hundred students playing basically non-revenue sports get those same scholarship benefits too.  The money has to come from somewhere. ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not to derail, but they get the scholarship, unlimited food, free dorm (nice one too),  a cost of living stipend, and most get 5 grand from FASFA each year. 

 

I was a fundraiser for AU as a student. I raised thousands for the university. I believe for the year it was close to 2 million raised by the group. We all made minimum wage, paid for school, food, and housing. 

You raised 2 million for a school and made minimum wage? That's not good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Investing in a buy out, would be the best long term investment we could make!!!

JMO but the investment you are suggesting is not much about Gus.....it's about investing in another coach.....

So....which coach out there is worth paying that $32M  just to bring on board...and then of course we likely end up with a similar contract?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the investment you are suggesting is not much about Gus.....it's about investing in another coach.....

So....which coach out there is worth paying that $32M  just to bring on board...and then of course we likely end up with a similar contract?  

A4E without a doubt!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

A4E without a doubt!!!!

waiting on an answer...who is worth 32M plus?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

waiting on an answer...who is worth 32M plus?    

this discussion has been done ad nauseam with you.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, auburnphan said:

this discussion has been done ad nauseam   

Yep, by the derailment of 90% of football and recruiting conversations that result in this discussion....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$ 200 million is needed to fund the North end zone project and the football only facility project.

Funding:

$ + 41.3 million, revenue from the SEC.

$ - 10 million, annual payment on a $200 million, 25 year, 5% bond issue.

$ + 31.3 million, balance remaining in the SEC revenue fund after bond payment. 

:whistle:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 6:06 PM, Sizzle said:

How much of that cut are the players getting?

Dont qoute me with the "ThE sCHolArShIp Is EnOuGh" bs either

Do you really think the scholarship is all they get? I know they get a stipend for transportation (which is where those pictures of players in brand new cars comes from) and housing, free clothes, shoes, and food, and they get as much tutoring in their classes as they need, rather than being stuck trying to figure it out on their own. I feel sure there are other perks they get along the way that normal students, even scholarship students, don't get, but I don't have any examples to share, so I'll not go any farther with regard to what they get while they're in school.

But they ARE given a prime place to showcase their talents for the NFL and any other professional leagues out there, something they couldn't do otherwise. Or, well, there could be semi-pro developmental leagues, but those wouldn't pay much and would leave the majority of the players scuffling for a way to put food on the table if/when they don't make it. After they get out of school, even if they don't go pro, there are boosters galore to get them jobs and have them set up for the rest of their lives, whether in coaching or in business.

And that's not to mention that if you give money to football and basketball players, you have to give it to every other sport's participants, too. You don't get to just give the football revenue to the football players; the equestrian players get it just as much. Do they deserve a piece of a pie they had nothing to do with? Or should each sport only get what it generates? That would cut down on the number of sports schools have the resources to maintain, because the money generated in football and basketball pays for that. It would also open the conversation to whether the starters deserve more than the backups, whether the stars deserve more than the regulars. I mean, that's how it's done in the pros, so why not in college?

At the end of the day, college athletes (especially football players) are pampered, as well as given contacts they can use for the rest of their lives as long as they don't burn bridges. And they're all but handed diplomas from top notch universities, something that will always be there for them. That's not to say they don't earn it, because they do, but all this squabble about how the scholarship just doesn't cut it is nonsense. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, AU64 said:

JMO but the investment you are suggesting is not much about Gus.....it's about investing in another coach.....

So....which coach out there is worth paying that $32M  just to bring on board...and then of course we likely end up with a similar contract?  

32 million has nothing to do with the the next coach . It’s all tied up to Gus. Good try though . Is it worth spending 32 million dollars to rid yourself of a coach who is hindering the product ? That would be the ultimate question and will be answered within this next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DAG said:

32 million has nothing to do with the the next coach . It’s all tied up to Gus. Good try though . Is it worth spending 32 million dollars to rid yourself of a coach who is hindering the product ? That would be the ultimate question and will be answered within this next season.

Not sure how you run your personal budget but if you want trade for a new car and your current car is "under water financially"  you can't just ignore the cost of paying off that car loan when figuring out how much it will cost you to be driving around in that new car.   

JMO...but any way you look at it from a financial standpoint, the cost of a new coach for AU includes paying off Gus plus perhaps a paying a buyout for the new coach and or maybe a signing bonus.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not sure how you run your personal budget but if you want trade for a new car and your current car is "under water financially"  you can't just ignore the cost of paying off that car loan when figuring out how much it will cost you to be driving around in that new car.   

JMO...but any way you look at it from a financial standpoint, the cost of a new coach for AU includes paying off Gus plus perhaps a paying a buyout for the new coach and or maybe a signing bonus.    

Well, try again. Never said ignore it. In fact, I am addressing the elephant in the room which is the initial problem . See if my original car couldn’t get me from point A to point B effectively then yes I will get rid of it and bite the bullet to get something effective enough to get the job done.

I am not going to keep something that I KNOW is not going to get the job done on the basis of not wanting to spend money. That hurts you more in the long run. 

So yes if Gus remains the same or even is worse next year then yes, that problem should be addressed first and foremost. It shouldn’t be based on what ifs or subjectivity. 

But I know the game you play and I know in your eyes, only NS and Dabo is worth replacing Gus based on the loaded question you just asked. Slippery as an eel.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good try again. Never said ignore it . In fact I am addressing the elephant in the room which is the  initial problem . See if my original car couldn’t get me from point A to point B effectively then yes I will get rid of it and bite the bullet to get something effective enough to get the job done.

I am not going to keep something that I KNOW is not going to get the job done on the basis of not wanting to spend money. That hurts you more in the long run. 

So yes if Gus remains the same or even is worse next year then yes, that problem should be addressed first and foremost . It shouldn’t be based on what ifs or subjectivity . 

But I know the game you play and I know in your eyes, only NS and Dabo is worth replacing Gus based on the loaded question you just asked. Slippery as an eel.

OK that's fine....so guess you have to decide what car you can afford....and BTW I'm still waiting for those deep pocket folks who were so eager to put up the bucks. And of course  you are betting the new car does not have some hidden defect like a Charlie Weiss, Lane Kiffen or  (the list is almost endless)   

So....I'm of the view that if someone wants to pay all that money in hopes of finding a new coach who will do better,  I'm good with it...though I don't see it as a good way for Auburn University to spend that much money if it had it available. .  JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OK that's fine....so guess you have to decide what car you can afford....and BTW I'm still waiting for those deep pocket folks who were so eager to put up the bucks. And of course  you are betting the new car does not have some hidden defect like a Charlie Weiss, Lane Kiffen or  (the list is almost endless)   

So....I'm of the view that if someone wants to pay all that money in hopes of finding a new coach who will do better,  I'm good with it...though I don't see it as a good way for Auburn University to spend that much money if it had it available. .  JMO

Yep, there is always a risk of that. But it is better to devoid yourself of something you KNOW is defected versus keeping it just because you are worried about the what if. That is just how I feel. At the end of the day, this discussion does not matter. Auburn has decided it is wise to keep Gus. All I am going to say is that I believe several coaches not named Dabo or NS could go 7-5 with Auburn and beat Purdue in a bowl game. He is going to have to do much better next year.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky for Gus, he gets the chance to prove once and for all if he's worth the $$ and the headache/heartache to the AU people. 

It's all on him this season, no excuses (although there shouldn't have been any excuses in his 6th season last year either.)  But he's the MAN in '19 and he gets to do it with on of the toughest schedules in the country.  :party:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DAG said:

He is going to have to do much better next year.

No question about that....if if not, the subject becomes more difficult and the noise gets louder.      JMO but it would be hard to fire a "winning" coach and pay that buyout.....even if some PTB would pay the money...which I doubt.

BUT....IMO,  7-5 is gonna take some work next year with the schedule we have so this discussion is far from over..:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...