Jump to content


Null



GwillMac6

41.3 Million from SEC revenue

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

OK that's fine....so guess you have to decide what car you can afford....and BTW I'm still waiting for those deep pocket folks who were so eager to put up the bucks. And of course  you are betting the new car does not have some hidden defect like a Charlie Weiss, Lane Kiffen or  (the list is almost endless)   

So....I'm of the view that if someone wants to pay all that money in hopes of finding a new coach who will do better,  I'm good with it...though I don't see it as a good way for Auburn University to spend that much money if it had it available. .  JMO

Personally, I'm getting rid of a car that runs about 50/50, can't handle the traffic flow I drive in and appears to get out muscled on the interstate.  I'll take the risk of defects with a new one, but I will not drive a mediocre vehicle that I'm paying sports car prices for - that's just me though.:dunno:

Edited by keesler
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yep, there is always a risk of that. But it is better to devoid yourself of something you KNOW is defected versus keeping it just because you are worried about the what if. That is just how I feel. At the end of the day, this discussion does not matter. Auburn has decided it is wise to keep Gus. All I am going to say is that I believe several coaches not named Dabo or NS could go 7-5 with Auburn and beat Purdue in a bowl game. He is going to have to do much better next year.

If I'm paying sport car prices, I don't want mid-size performance from my vehicle.  Especially when my neighbors are hot on the trail to the Indy 500 levels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, keesler said:

Personally, I'm getting rid of a car that runs about 50/50, can't handle the traffic flow I drive in and appears to get out muscled on the interstate.  I'll take the risk of defects with a new one, but I will not drive a mediocre vehicle that I'm paying sports car prices for - that's just me though.:dunno:

😀  Of course you know that you have already paid for that car... and you are not gonna get your money back......so when you get your new car you will also be paying for the old one.....one new car for the price of two. JMO but better be sure you REALLY like that new car a lot 'cause it's costing you plenty.

And of course with the football coach situation you are paying the full cost of the coaching change on the expectation that you will get 2 or 3 more wins per season.   

As I say...not my money so do what you want...but I sure hope Auburn University (which is regularly asking me for money) does not spend it's money that way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the lucrative SEC revenue and the contract given to Gus. I really don’t think money is a huge issue. 

So why don’t they pay the buyout?! Because I believe Gus has someone in his corner who is willing to go down with him. Just my thoughts . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DAG said:

Based on the lucrative SEC revenue and the contract given to Gus. I really don’t think money is a huge issue. 

So why don’t they pay the buyout?! Because I believe Gus has someone in his corner who is willing to go down with him. Just my thoughts . 

That SEC money is about a third of the Athletic Dept income isn't it..?  ..goes for all sports I bet...not just football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That SEC money is about a third of the Athletic Dept income isn't it..?  ..goes for all sports I bet...not just football.

Please stop taking one thing I say and running with it. I said based on the revenue AND the contract we already have given. Therefore the money doesn’t just come from revenue but from other places too. Auburn is not as broke as some people make it out to be. Nor does money give you all the power in the world. There is certain processes it has to go through. Influence can be strong but it does not mean it can over come the final decision. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DAG said:

Please stop taking one thing I say and running with it. I said based on the revenue AND the contract we already have given. Therefore the money doesn’t just come from revenue but from other places too. Auburn is not as broke as some people make it out to be. Nor does money give you all the power in the world. There is certain processes it has to go through. Influence can be strong but it does not mean it can over come the final decision. 

This.

People who do not work for the University- and therefore cannot actually issue the Code Red- had the money in the briefcase. 

Leath is the one who can issue the Code Red, but that would have be self-destructive for him since the bad contract is 100% his fault. 

This is the version of events that I have heard many times and that makes sense to me. I have yet to hear a logical argument against it and I'm not sure why anyone would go to the trouble. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AU64 said:

That SEC money is about a third of the Athletic Dept income isn't it..?  ..goes for all sports I bet...not just football.

Money is not a problem, we've been told this for months now.  With the substantially increased SEC revenue just from the SECNetwork alone there's a nice, comfortable cash flow into the AD.  Auburn has BIG money boosters willing to back a head football coach and his exorbitant contract.

The income is so good that Auburn chose to fork out top 5 salaries for it's football staff. The problem right now is that Auburn isn't getting top 5 or even top 10 rankings at the end of the season with this expensive staff.  The head man in charge will be entering his 7th season, he's doubled down on his own coaching abilities, and there will be no excuses it's time to piss or get off the pot.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, keesler said:

there will be no excuses it's time to piss or get off the pot

And hopefully we mean it this time. Sigh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, keesler said:

Money is not a problem, we've been told this for months now.  With the substantially increased SEC revenue just from the SECNetwork alone there's a nice, comfortable cash flow into the AD.  Auburn has BIG money boosters willing to back a head football coach and his exorbitant contract.

Guess I will believe that when I see it......and JMO but it would be a shame that some PTB thought spending $30M in hopes of beating bama and ga from time to time is more important to Auburn University than endowing a bunch of scholarships or professorships.   Last I knew, Auburn was in the business of educating the coming generations of our region.....and hope someone at the top still sees that as the prime mission and the most important item in the school budget. 

Guess this is just a philosophical disagreement...about how the school should spend it's money.   :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess I will believe that when I see it......and JMO but it would be a shame that some PTB thought spending $30M in hopes of beating bama and ga from time to time is more important to Auburn University than endowing a bunch of scholarships or professorships.   Last I knew, Auburn was in the business of educating the coming generations of our region.....and hope someone at the top still sees that as the prime mission and the most important item in the school budget. 

Guess this is just a philosophical disagreement...about how the school should spend it's money.   :dunno:

In that case, why have a football program at all? Or at least one that attempts to compete with the other teams in its conference.

What is an appropriate salary for the head coach? The same we pay the faculty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

In that case, why have a football program at all? Or at least one that attempts to compete with the other teams in its conference.

What is an appropriate salary for the head coach? The same we pay the faculty? 

Good questions....and just about every major college thinks football among other sports is good to round to round out the college experience.  I have grand children going to college and all wanted to go to a school with all the major sports....and eliminated some pretty good schools that were FCS....but they are going to NCSU and UNC so obviously winning football is not that important to them. :)  just the fact that it is there was what mattered.  

The ship has sailed on HC salaries.....they are unreasonable at many schools but that's relative.   Locally the Wofford Coach just retired after about 30 years and don't think he ever made as much as $300K per year....had good seasons most years and finished 207-139 career. ..never won a championship and never beat USCe but scared them a few times.....so why did the school keep him?     JMO but it's because of their value system and where they wanted to spend their money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess I will believe that when I see it......and JMO but it would be a shame that some PTB thought spending $30M in hopes of beating bama and ga from time to time is more important to Auburn University than endowing a bunch of scholarships or professorships.   Last I knew, Auburn was in the business of educating the coming generations of our region.....and hope someone at the top still sees that as the prime mission and the most important item in the school budget. 

Guess this is just a philosophical disagreement...about how the school should spend it's money.   :dunno:

Moving the goal posts I see.

What if I told you that many more PTB and big $$ donors give much more to academics and never throw a dime to AU athletics? Auburn is a fine academic institute, they've been in the business of educating the generations of my region for over 100 years and will continue to do so.  

You are smart enough to know the academic budget with it's sizable endowment plays no part in the athletic budget at AU, it is an almost independent organization. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by keesler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good questions....and just about every major college thinks football among other sports is good to round to round out the college experience.  I have grand children going to college and all wanted to go to a school with all the major sports....and eliminated some pretty good schools that were FCS....but they are going to NCSU and UNC so obviously winning football is not that important to them. :)  just the fact that it is there was what mattered.  

The ship has sailed on HC salaries.....they are unreasonable at many schools but that's relative.   Locally the Wofford Coach just retired after about 30 years and don't think he ever made as much as $300K per year....had good seasons most years and finished 207-139 career. ..never won a championship and never beat USCe but scared them a few times.....so why did the school keep him?     JMO but it's because of their value system and where they wanted to spend their money. 

I wonder how much revenue Wofford football brought into the university? Auburn football recorded a $61 million profit from $112 million in revenue in fiscal year 2016-2017. Not sure about seasons since. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder how much revenue Wofford football brought into the university? Auburn football recorded a $61 million profit from $112 million in revenue in fiscal year 2016-2017. Not sure about seasons since. 

 

Thank You!

Hell, the SEC just disbursed $41.3 million/school from the 2017-2018 yr,  an increase over the $40.9 million/school from 2016-2017.  SEC programs are rolling in $$$$$!

Edited by keesler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keesler said:

Thank You!

Hell, the SEC just disbursed $41.3 million/school from the 2017-2018 yr,  an increase over the $40.9 million/school from 2016-2017.  SEC programs are rolling in $$$$$!

I appreciate that but essentially the money just goes back to the athletic department which is almost an independent organization....just barely answerable to the University.    That SEC money is about 1/3rd of the AU athletic department income. 

And all SEC programs are not rolling in money …..some are much better off than others. like vandy, mizz, ole miss and MSU......and of course most SEC schools get subsidy from student fees.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I appreciate that but essentially the money just goes back to the athletic department which is almost an independent organization....just barely answerable to the University.    That SEC money is about 1/3rd of the AU athletic department income. 

And all SEC programs are not rolling in money …..some are much better off than others. like vandy, mizz, ole miss and MSU......and of course most SEC schools get subsidy from student fees.   

There are two ways to view this '64.  Bottom line, the SEC programs as a whole are in a much better financial situation now in 2019 than they've ever been in the existence of this conference.  The SEC has been a power in the most lucrative revenue generating sport of football for at least 15 years.

Of course some programs are better off than others as you mentioned above, but they're smaller and some of them weigh programs like basketball/baseball above the all mighty football. We all know Football is King in this conference and the BIG 6 schools (LSU/AU/UT/UF/UAT/UGA) damn sure aren't hurting for funds. 

Of course some SEC schools choose to not subsidize athletics with student fees (I HATE that AU does this), also some SEC schools choose give back millions from athletics to the academic side.  

Edited by keesler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, keesler said:

There are two ways to view this '64.  Bottom line, the SEC programs as a whole are in a much better financial situation now in 2019 than they've ever been in the existence of this conference.  The SEC has been a power in the most lucrative revenue generating sport of football for at least 15 years.

Of course some programs are better off than others as you mentioned above, but they're smaller and some of them weigh programs like basketball/baseball above the all mighty football. We all know Football is King in this conference and the BIG 6 schools (LSU/AU/UT/UF/UAT/UGA) damn sure aren't hurting for funds. 

Of course some SEC schools choose to not subsidize athletics with student fees (I HATE that AU does this), also some SEC schools choose give back millions from athletics to the academic side.  

Yep.....no doubt but JMO the push toward a national mega conference is gonna shake out about half of the SEC schools who will not be able to compete financially.  And student fees....yep, was surprised to see in al.com piece today how much AU is getting from students...something like $250 per year which is CRAZY. ...Ironic that the program had just over $7M profit....and collected almost  $6 M fees...….that stinks...  Athletic department is like any bureaucracy.....it will spend all the money it takes and be constantly looking for more....primarily seeking it's own interests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep.....no doubt but JMO the push toward a national mega conference is gonna shake out about half of the SEC schools who will not be able to compete financially.  And student fees....yep, was surprised to see in al.com piece today how much AU is getting from students...something like $250 per year which is CRAZY. ...Ironic that the program had just over $7M profit....and collected almost  $6 M fees...….that stinks...  Athletic department is like any bureaucracy.....it will spend all the money it takes and be constantly looking for more....primarily seeking it's own interests. 

I saw that article, total profit of $7.8M in '18, down from $14.6M in '17 - they collected nearly $6M from the students :banghead: and another $1.8M from the University so in essence that's the total "profit" for '18. 

Now I'm nit picking the article, but the AD paid out just shy of $3MILLION in severance payments?  My God, WTH is that about?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keesler said:

ow I'm nit picking the article, but the AD paid out just shy of $3MILLION in severance payments?  My God, WTH is that about? 

Good question...since that was last year I'm wondering who was "severed" that had to be paid?   

Wonder if some of that went to other sports....we owe anyone money from baseball or softball?.....or are we paying those two "missing" basketball staff members some kind of severance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU64 said:

Good question...since that was last year I'm wondering who was "severed" that had to be paid?   

Wonder if some of that went to other sports....we owe anyone money from baseball or softball?.....or are we paying those two "missing" basketball staff members some kind of severance? 

AU shouldn't be paying a dime to the two basketball staffers, they went out with the Persons fiasco, JMHO they were just part of the collateral. 

I don't know if the Sunny Golloway lawsuit ended up with Sunny getting a settlement after the NCAA cleared him and it turned out to be a wrongful termination.  I can't imagine why the devil AU would pay a severance to Casey Myers, after his trashy actions.   Clint more than likely got severance, and I know Greene fired a half a dozen AD staffers including Meredith Jenkins who handled the softball/Myers mess.  But $3M seems really steep to me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keesler said:

AU shouldn't be paying a dime to the two basketball staffers, they went out with the Persons fiasco, JMHO they were just part of the collateral. 

I don't know if the Sunny Golloway lawsuit ended up with Sunny getting a settlement after the NCAA cleared him and it turned out to be a wrongful termination.  I can't imagine why the devil AU would pay a severance to Casey Myers, after his trashy actions.   Clint more than likely got severance, and I know Greene fired a half a dozen AD staffers including Meredith Jenkins who handled the softball/Myers mess.  But $3M seems really steep to me.

 

Hard to know about the basketball staffers.....nothing was ever said on either side so I'm thinking there was some kind of settlement....and forgot about the AD admin. people who got cut.  And while Corey was a big issue, never heard a cross word about Casey or the other non-family member coach.   Some pretty good salaries involved with all those people and $3 million does not buy what it used to in the way of silence....or whatever.....:)

And $250 per student for athletic fees  😡  think that is what I paid for my tuition and fees per year ....back in the day....and Shug probably made +/-$25K per year back then..  I do recall that I had to pay a dollar per game for my football tickets however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hard to know about the basketball staffers.....nothing was ever said on either side so I'm thinking there was some kind of settlement....and forgot about the AD admin. people who got cut.  And while Corey was a big issue, never heard a cross word about Casey or the other non-family member coach.   Some pretty good salaries involved with all those people and $3 million does not buy what it used to in the way of silence....or whatever.....:)

And $250 per student for athletic fees  😡  think that is what I paid for my tuition and fees per year ....back in the day....and Shug probably made +/-$25K per year back then..  I do recall that I had to pay a dollar per game for my football tickets however. 

I posted Casey Myers and meant Corey, my bad.

On a side note >>> You old '64!  :cheers:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is damn ridiculous; you pay someone that retires severance pay? His $540k annual pension was not enough? Auburn University Athletic department has $3 million to flush down a toilet?

sev·er·ance

Dictionary result for severance

/ˈsev(ə)rəns/
noun
  1. the action of ending a connection or relationship.
    "the severance and disestablishment of the Irish Church"
    • the state of being separated or cut off.
      "she works on the feeling of severance, of being deprived of her mother"
    • dismissal or discharge from employment.
      "employees were offered severance terms"

 

Quote

Jay Jacobs received $3 million in severance from Auburn

ByBrandon Marcello

AUBURN, Alabama — Former Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs received nearly $3 million in a severance payout following his retirement in 2018.

Auburn paid Jacobs $2,932,576 near the end of the 2017-18 fiscal year, an Auburn spokesperson confirmed Tuesday to Auburn Undercover. The severance appeared on Auburn's NCAA Financial Report provided Tuesday to Auburn Undercover, but Jacobs was not identified on the document.

Jacobs was Auburn's athletics director for 13 years and spent most of his adult life at Auburn in various positions, from the football strength staff to the fundraising arm of the athletics department. He announced his retirement in November 2017 and stepped aside in February 2018 following the hiring of Allen Greene.

Jacobs was also paid a salary of $1.29 million in the fiscal year ending in June 30, 2017 at Auburn. 

"The last several months have been a particularly difficult time," Jacobs said in a letter written to Auburn fans Nov. 3, 2017. "Across several sports, a series of controversies have arisen. They have begun to take their toll and have raised questions about why Auburn must endure such problems. As I have always done, I have worked my hardest and best to do what is right for Auburn.

"I believe in Auburn and will fight for Auburn. But as I consider the future and what is best for Auburn, I have prayerfully decided the time has come for me to step aside. Sometimes a new direction and new leadership are helpful in moving beyond current problems."

Jacobs later resurfaced in the summer of 2018 as an executive associate athletics director at Florida. Months of rumors concerning Jacobs' potential ouster from Auburn had come to a boil in the fall of 2017. The athletics program was marred in controversy, which included a lawsuit and two scandals: an FBI investigation into men’s basketball assistant Chuck Person and a Title IX investigation into softball that led to head coach Clint Myers' staff leaving the program.

Jacobs oversees the communications, marketing, ticketing and GatorVision departments at Florida.

"Florida athletics is fortunate to have someone of Jay's caliber joining the UAA," Florida athletics director Scott Stricklin said in a statement at the time. "His character, vision, experience and ability to connect with people will be tremendous assets to our department. Additionally, having served in a leadership role in the SEC, Jay understands the great privilege and responsibility we have as a member of this wonderful conference. It's exciting to have Jay joining the Gators."

Stricklin worked at Auburn in the 1990s within the athletics department as a sports information director.

"Some people are fortunate to say they are coming home once in their careers, now I am lucky enough to say it twice," Jacobs said in a statement. "Having attended high school in Jacksonville, I'm honored and privileged to join the UAA and continue to work in the nation's best conference in the SEC. I am looking forward to working with Scott Stricklin and the rest of the staff to help serve the Gator student-athletes, coaches and fans of the Gator nation."

Jacobs was elevated to athletics director at Auburn in 2004 after working with the department in some capacity since his playing days as a walk-on football player in the early 1980s.

Auburn won 11 national titles, including a football title in 2010, and 24 SEC titles during his time as athletics director.

The Auburn athletics director, thanks to 30-plus years in the state retirement system, is also expected to be paid $540,000 per year in state retirement money, according to the Florence Times Daily.

 

Edited by Auburn Kev
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about JJ....sounds like something negotiated as part of closing out his contract.....based on his length of service or something ?.   Pretty sure it was not a gift but I'm surprised someone in the department did not make this public earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...