2020 4* TE Jeremiah Pegues Commits to AU!

ellitor

59 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

First of all, I’m really excited to have this kid!!!  He put us(Warren Central) out of the playoffs on his way to a State Championship!  He’s a monster!!!!

Second, Gus talked about his versatility on the O side during his presser.  No indication of D at all.  I hope they have a clear and well-communicated plan for JJ.  I don’t want him to be one of those “freak athletes who just didn’t fit any one position well” guys that make us dream about what could’ve been.  

Finally got around to watching his tape and while I agree with others that he would wreak havoc on Defense, if Chad is truly calling plays I hope he stays on Offense; him lined up as an H-back as he was in some of that tape he would be devastating blocking , running or catching the ball out of the backfield or lined up on the line as a Tight end.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, AUMASTERS said:

Finally got around to watching his tape and while I agree with others that he would wreak havoc on Defense, if Chad is truly calling plays I hope he stays on Offense; him lined up as an H-back as he was in some of that tape he would be devastating blocking , running or catching the ball out of the backfield or lined up on the line as a Tight end.

Have you seen some comment from Gus indicating that Chad will be calling plays? I don't think that's the plan or if it is I missed seeing it. Most head coaches that came up on the offensive side of the ball call their own plays. AU has done better when Gus is calling the plays, so I'm not expecting that to change.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:04 AM, Mikey said:

Have you seen some comment from Gus indicating that Chad will be calling plays?

I haven't but at the same time I think its foolish to believe that Chad Morris, a former head coach, came to Auburn to be Kenny Dillingham. 

Morris and Gus are long time close friends. They vacation together. Morris came here to rehab his career. That doesnt happen by holding a clipboard or being a glorified grad assistant like the position Dilly Dilly held at Auburn...

On 12/22/2019 at 12:04 AM, Mikey said:

Have you seen some comment from Gus indicating that Chad will be calling plays? I don't think that's the plan or if it is I missed seeing it.

I don’t know if Gus himself said it but is being reported by all Auburn sites that Chad Morris will be calling plays.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don’t know if Gus himself said it but is being reported by all Auburn sites that Chad Morris will be calling plays.

I guess we'll see. I'm more comfortable with Gus calling plays and Morris giving helpful hints. In any case, let's hope they get it worked out successfully.

• Like 1

It's arguable that Auburn has done better with Gus calling the plays, but even if that were 100% true- impossible to say since his OC only ever had full control of play calling for about 5 games in 2016- he's never had an OC who was nearly as accomplished as Morris. And he himself has never been as successful calling plays as Morris was at Clemson. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's arguable that Auburn has done better with Gus calling the plays, but even if that were 100% true- impossible to say since his OC only ever had full control of play calling for about 5 games in 2016

Not too mention all that depth we've had on the OL the last 5 years has made calling plays easy for whoever called them.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

TIFWIW but Keith says AU has no plans of playing JJ anywhere but TE/HB.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm sure the defensive coaches want him on the DL. Don't think they're going to win that tug of war with Gus, at least initially. 

His report weight is going to be a hot topic of conversation either way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Like I said in the other thread, I'm sure the defensive coaches want him on the DL. Don't think they're going to win that tug of war with Gus, at least initially. 

His report weight is going to be a hot topic of conversation either way. 

After next season of not playing or maybe mid season especially if we have obvious depth issues on defensive line he will voluntarily move.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

After next season of not playing or maybe mid season especially if we have obvious depth issues on defensive line he will voluntarily move.

Barring injuries not sure there will be depth issues on the DL. Wonder what our depth guru Mikey thinks.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:27 AM, Mikey said:

I guess we'll see. I'm more comfortable with Gus calling plays and Morris giving helpful hints. In any case, let's hope they get it worked out successfully.

I'm still not sure of Gus' play calling in big games throughout the year.

Gus has a handle on the running game schemes since he developed them, but I don't think his offensive mind developed a passing game that knows how to attack all types of defenses. That is not what he learned in HS or in the college ranks. 

If Morris has a better feel for the passing game and what works intandem with the running game, then I would rather see how our offensive plays works with Morris calling the plays, especially w/ the types of pass plays his past has shown.

I've seen enough from Gus, to know he doesn't incorporate many middle of the field passing schemes w/ open space curls, slants, TE plays, etc. to give his QB consistent options when going back to pass. 

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Barring injuries not sure there will be depth issues on the DL. Wonder what our depth guru Mikey thinks.

I always worry about depth issues. Every position, except maybe RB this year. 

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm still not sure of Gus' play calling in big games throughout the year.

Gus has a handle on the running game schemes since he developed them, but I don't think his offensive mind developed a passing game that knows how to attack all types of defenses. That is not what he learned in HS or in the college ranks. 

If Morris has a better feel for the passing game and what works intandem with the running game, then I would rather see how our offensive plays works with Morris calling the plays, especially w/ the types of pass plays his past has shown.

I've seen enough from Gus, to know he doesn't incorporate many middle of the field passing schemes w/ open space curls, slants, TE plays, etc. to give his QB consistent options when going back to pass. 

I think Gus got comfortable with Bo in the middle of the field. I don’t think he was ever comfortable with Stidham. But he was with Marshal. ‘2015 and’16 ruined him. Still Morris can help in this area no matter who calls the plays. 3rd and short/ medium and red zone is what needs improvement. I think these two guys working together can get there. I’m confident it will work. The line is my concern but it won’t take much to get at least where we were this past year.

Just now, alexava said:

I think Gus got comfortable with Bo in the middle of the field. I don’t think he was ever comfortable with Stidham. But he was with Marshal. ‘2015 and’16 ruined him. Still Morris can help in this area no matter who calls the plays. 3rd and short/ medium and red zone is what needs improvement. I think these two guys working together can get there. I’m confident it will work. The line is my concern but it won’t take much to get at least where we were this past year.

i agree with most of that too. As to the OL, I just want to see an OL than can consistently run block better than this 5 did the last 2 years. Some of that is not having a stud power RB. Boobie has some of that, but can't stay healthy. I'm hoping Tank is the real deal, if he can catch on w/ the playbook and the ability to block when called upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

i agree with most of that too. As to the OL, I just want to see an OL than can consistently run block better than this 5 did the last 2 years. Some of that is not having a stud power RB. Boobie has some of that, but can't stay healthy. I'm hoping Tank is the real deal, if he can catch on w/ the playbook and the ability to block when called upon.

Boobee and DJ both are stud power RB’s. They’re not homerun hitters but both of them are definitely stud power RB’s 🤨

Edited by Sizzle

48 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Boobee and DJ both are stud power RB’s. They’re not homerun hitters but both of them are definitely stud power RB’s 🤨

I’m a lot higher on Boobee than most. The fumbles though.... 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’m high in him too. I’ve always said the fans need to stop underrating him because he’s important to the offense 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alexava said:

This past season Boobie was clearly our best RB. One measure of that is that the offense simply moved the ball and sustained drives better when Whitlow was in there and healthy.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

If there are 3.4 scholarship DL guys per position like we have had on the offensive line, DL depth will be fine. I don't think we'll have that many though. Why don't you count 'em and tell us the results?

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

If there are 3.4 scholarship DL guys per position like we have had on the offensive line, DL depth will be fine. I don't think we'll have that many though. Why don't you count 'em and tell us the results?

You can count if you like. I’m busy enjoying time with my family.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You can count if you like. I’m busy enjoying time with my family.

I see.

Edited by Mikey

On 12/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, ellitor said:

TIFWIW but Keith says AU has no plans of playing JJ anywhere but TE/HB.

.......and the plan was for Jason Smith to be just a qb as well!!

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

.......and the plan was for Jason Smith to be just a qb as well!!

No it wasn’t. The plan was for him to get a short shot at quarterback. If it worked he could stay there. If not they were going to move him to WR which they did.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No it wasn’t. The plan was for him to get a short shot at quarterback. If it worked he could stay there. If not they were going to move him to WR which they did.

Behind the scenes, publicly that was not the case.