McCormick and Harper

bigbird

What did y'all think when Harper slid to the two and McCormick took over PG?

I thought it was a nice Change up that took advantage of Harper's shooting and McCormick's ability to drive and kick.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What did y'all think when Harper slid to the two and McCormick took over PG?

I thought it was a nice Change up that took advantage of Harper's shooting and McCormick's ability to drive and kick.

Was not playing that much attention to positioning but if that's what happened, it's good with me...Mostly I've been impressed with McCormick and thought he should be playing more.  Considering his pace of play and such, Harper needs some relief at PG and whether this is full time or just a way to deal with bama, I'm happy to see McCormick develop into a quality PG too.  

I like the look as far as offense is concerned. I think it gives Harper a better chance to get open looks. It also most likely allows Harper to take a bit of a breather while staying in the game. I imagine it takes less effort to play off the ball as opposed to running the offense. 

The major downside is defense. That combo does not work unless we are outscoring people like crazy cause its just about impossible for us to defend well with Harper and Javon out there at the same time. Not everyone appreciates Browns defense but he gets after the ball handler when he is out there. 

It seemed to help with the change of pace. I'm for it because we're mismatched on defense anyway, might as well have a pay off. I'm concerned about Harper hardly getting rests though

Pearl has been using this combo for a while now. Usually around the 12 min mark of each half to give Brown a rest.

It works great when McCormick is on, but there have been times where he has not performed consistently well there at times, and Pearl has had to get him out of there early.

Against Alabama, he performed very well in the second half, not so much in the first half. As a matter of fact McCormick played quite a bit in second half and had 4 assists, and no TOs.

One thing I heard was that Pearl doesn't do substitutions, but relies on one of the assistants to sub players in and out. Can someone confirm or debunk that? Interesting, if it is true.

Not saying that this team needs any more guys jacking up 3s, but it is kind of crazy that Jvon leads the team in 3pt% with 5 from 9 from distance. Meanwhile Horace is 2-14 and seems to have more of a green light to shoot than Jvon

Just now, Gene Loblaw said:

Not saying that this team needs any more guys jacking up 3s, but it is kind of crazy that Jvon leads the team in 3pt% with 5 from 9 from distance. Meanwhile Horace is 2-14 and seems to have more of a green light to shoot than Jvon

I think this is a case of 1 player knowing his game vs another trying to showcase a part of his game that isn't really there.

It's out of necessity. CBP has been using it for a while and it has its advantages and disadvantages. The truth is we don't have a good option to back up Brown. So we let Harper play some two and let Doughty play some two to give Brown rests. I actually hope to see less and less of them out there together IF Purifoy is able to give us some minutes at the three, or if we extend Dunbar's minutes at the three. In either event we would then be able to give Brown a rest by using Doughty more. 

The one instance that I do like McCormick at the one and Harper at the two, is if we are in a situation where we need an extra primary ball handler. 

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

have we tried dunbar at the 2 this year?  i dont think we have, but that would be interesting to me.  harper/dunbar/purifoy/chuma/amac or wiley.

Been talking to @cole256?

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

It's out of necessity. CBP has been using it for a while and it has its advantages and disadvantages. The truth is we don't have a good option to back up Brown. So we let Harper play some two and let Doughty play some two to give Brown rests. I actually hope to see less and less of them out there together IF Purifoy is able to give us some minutes at the three, or if we extend Dunbar's minutes at the three. In either event we would then be able to give Brown a rest by using Doughty more. 

The one instance that I do like McCormick at the one and Harper at the two, is if we are in a situation where we need an extra primary ball handler. 

Any words of wisdom about tonight.?

I watched UF and Kentucky but kind of casually ...and learned nothing about UF that impressed me...except that they pushed the Kats pretty well for most of the game. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Any words of wisdom about tonight.?

I watched UF and Kentucky but kind of casually ...and learned nothing about UF that impressed me...except that they pushed the Kats pretty well for most of the game. 

I don't know about wisdom, but there are a few things that are clear. Florida struggles to score the ball. they don't shoot very well and have only broken 70 twice since starting SEC play. As long as we don't let Locke get hot from outside I think we will be fine. FL could be in for a long night and AU have another home blowout is we play with the offenseive flow from the second half of the Mizzo game and the Alabama game

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I don't know about wisdom, but there are a few things that are clear. Florida struggles to score the ball. they don't shoot very well and have only broken 70 twice since starting SEC play. As long as we don't let Locke get hot from outside I think we will be fine. FL could be in for a long night and AU have another home blowout is we play with the offenseive flow from the second half of the Mizzo game and the Alabama game

You're not a guru, no opinions please!

In a forum post here a few weeks ago, I seriously questioned McCormick's value.

Someone responded to my post and told me (paraphrasing) "Be patient with him.  He's a good kid from a small school.  He'll come around and be a good player before the end of the year".

And that seems to be the case.  The kid is getting better and will be a good PG.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

You're not a guru, no opinions please!

I’m hurt. I’ll keep them to myself in the future.  

Archived