AU Inquiring about Mizzou SRs Transfer interest

auburnphan

13 minutes ago

Confirmed as reported that Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Mississippi State have requested permission to speak to football seniors. In addition, Texas Tech, Louisville and Louisiana Tech have too. No indication anyone intends to transfer at this time.

• ellitor changed the title to AU Inquiring about Mizzou SRs Transfer interest
6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Just dirty. 

NCAAs sanctions on Mizzou, yes. Teams inquiring to the school about kids' interest in transferring, not dirty.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

NCAAs sanctions on Mizzou, yes. Teams inquiring to the school about kids' interest in transferring, not dirty.

It’s all dirty. Not that it’s wrong. The main question is their center a senior?

Just now, auburnphan said:

Kirby Smart called  to let Mizzou know he won't be poaching any of their players according to an article, how nice of him!!!!

I would be more worried about that call. 

22 minutes ago, alexava said:

It’s all dirty. Not that it’s wrong.

How is it dirty if  you go to the school with the inquiry?

22 minutes ago, alexava said:

Should you not at least let them declare before you call?

No reason not to if you are only calling the school or HC.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No reason not to if you are only calling the school or HC.

I thought they had to enter a portal of sorts. 

Sounds like poaching their players is legal....but I still don't like the feel of it.  We've been there before and will probably be there again some day. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

I thought they had to enter a portal of sorts. 

That's to contact the player, not the school or HC. One good thing the NCAA does is if a school is sanctioned transferrred undergrad players don't have to sit a year.

@ellitor, that’s an overstatement. Any player with eligibility that would expire during a postseason ban is free to transfer with sitting. Anyone else needs a waiver. That’s why Shea Patterson, for example, needed a waiver. He had eligibility extending beyond OM’s bowl ban. 

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

@ellitor, that’s an overstatement. Any player with eligibility that would expire during a postseason ban is free to transfer with sitting. Anyone else needs a waiver. That’s why Shea Patterson, for example, needed a waiver. He had eligibility extending beyond OM’s bowl ban. 

Well then it wasn't an overstatement. I was just flat out wrong on that part.

Ha! I was trying to be nice! Some players can transfer without sitting, some cannot.

That's why the multi-year bowl ban is such a hammer. It exposes a large portion of your roster to open transfer. They don't need a release either. They are simply free to leave, which is different than a typical non-graduate transfer. I'm glad we reached out. Cale Garrett (leading tackler at LB), DeMarkus Acy (lead team in INTs and second in PBUs), and Yasir Durant (two-year starter at LT with a RS available) are all free to leave and would be GREAT additions.

Mizzou might've gotten screwed, but that doesn't mean the players should all get screwed, too. They didn't do anything wrong. And, unlike a major state university, they have a very fleeting opportunity to be successful in football.

They're going to get contacted, so we might as well be one of the schools contacting them. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sounds like poaching their players is legal....but I still don't like the feel of it.  We've been there before and will probably be there again some day. 

Last time we were "there" was 1993 and I don't recall anybody poaching us aftet Frostgate. 

38 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Last time we were "there" was 1993 and I don't recall anybody poaching us aftet Frostgate. 

true...but things were different then...and poaching is more acceptable it appears....

On 2/5/2019 at 7:43 PM, bigbird said:

How's their OL?

Just asking for a friend.

50/50 at best!

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Last time we were "there" was 1993 and I don't recall anybody poaching us after Frostgate. 

I do not think poaching was allowed in 93. If I am wrong, I stand corrected!  WDE!!

On 2/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, auburnphan said:

Kirby Smart called  to let Mizzou know he won't be poaching any of their players according to an article, how nice of him!!!!

Full quote  "I want to let you know I won't be poaching any of your players. My boosters are out of money."

Archived