Men vs. Florida - game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 point win but never felt that comfortable ....but then again, I never really had the feeling that UF could take the lead.   Another good home win.  Hoping the banged up guys are feeling good by Saturday for LSU.   More rest for AW, Harper and Okeke can shake off their hurts...

I watched almost all of the game. I think we have shown better energy these last two or three games. It was fun to watch but UF didn’t look sharp either..I’ll take it. 

25 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Glad to finally beat UF. Disappointed with how we finished. I hope we're a bit sharper on the road. D was good tonight. UF hit a lot of tough shots to keep it close.

We are good enough to kill most teams at home but are not good enough yet to beat a quality team on the road. I hope a loss saturday does not spark a meltdown on here lol. We are a run of the mill good college basketball team. Good enough to beat anyone at home but will struggle a lot on the road.

9 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Wow, AU just won a game playing the other team's slow-down pace, with Doughty, Spencer, and Okeke leading the way. I'll take that any day.

True, but I wish we would have waited to go slow until about the 5 min mark. I think we had one fg the last 7 minutes of the game. Still a great win!!

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

True, but I wish we would have waited to go slow until about the 5 min mark. I think we had one fg the last 7 minutes of the game. Still a great win!!

BP's strategy I guess and what he was trying to prevent was a quick 10 point burst by UF that put them right back in the game....like had happened earlier in the half. Three key players were less than 100% by the end of the game and JMO , no point in engaging more run and shoot and watch the momentum change.  

As noted above, AU played a good game against a difficult team in a situation where it's easier for the team that wants to play slow, to set the pace of the game.  I've seen UF play a few times this year and don't know what to make of them except they are physical and play hard....in the mold of South Carolina   Watched UK struggle with them for most of a game before they finally pulled away at the end..   It's hard to look good against them and run your normal offense.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are good enough to kill most teams at home but are not good enough yet to beat a quality team on the road. I hope a loss saturday does not spark a meltdown on here lol. We are a run of the mill good college basketball team. Good enough to beat anyone at home but will struggle a lot on the road.

Run of the mill good teams steal some wins on the road. Still need AU to do that to feel good about the tournament chances.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Run of the mill good teams steal some wins on the road. Still need AU to do that to feel good about the tournament chances.

WE will steal some on the road. When we play vandy and Georgia. Just not LSU.

very happy with the win....i was concerned because of the gators style of play, and they can shoot the ball....really don't know for sure what clicked, but i think this team is beginning to hit its stride

This was a really good win and this one combined with the bama beat down gives me hope that we can ascend into the upper half of the SEC. This one was also encouraging cause we did it without being on fire on offense. We played good defense and sounds offense. Wiley also got in a few minutes in the first half so it was good to get him back. Even if we only get 10 minute a game from him thats fine. We just gotta have him so we can rotate and not be in foul trouble underneath the basket. I'm concerned about Harper being banged up. I'll be watching him closely on Saturday against LSU. We need him to be in top form if we are to pull out the upset at their house. They have a very good looking team but have had some recent struggles. Hopefully we are crossing paths with them at the right time. A road win at LSU gets us solidly back in the top 25 and a close loss will keep us a top 25 fringe team i'd imagine. 

From a layman's perspective, the offense has played with a bit more patience over the last few games. Not 2 passes and a three point shot. Plus a bit more driving to the hoop.And a dish off or two as the defense collapses.

5 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

From a layman's perspective, the offense has played with a bit more patience over the last few games. Not 2 passes and a three point shot. Plus a bit more driving to the hoop.And a dish off or two as the defense collapses.

You are correct. There has been a better flow to the Offense especially being more aggressive in driving to the hoop. But the big difference is the Defense has been more aggressive without reaching and getting dumb fouls and Off-the ball defenders have done a better job of rotating quickly and taking away the easy score both for the man driving and the dump off pass.

Archived