Open Club  ·  21 members

AUF DIY

Tools...

Tiger Refuge

So, I am in the process of increasing my woodworking tool inventory. 

My next purchase is going to be a router. Question- I see two different kinds. A plunge router and a fixed router. There are also combo kits(both styles) as well as a “compact” router. 

Pros? Cons? Recommendations?

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So, I am in the process of increasing my woodworking tool inventory. 

My next purchase is going to be a router. Question- I see two different kinds. A plunge router and a fixed router. There are also combo kits(both styles) as well as a “compact” router. 

Pros? Cons? Recommendations?

I'd be interested to hear what you find. 

From what I know, they are not necessarily interchangeable and plunge router is typically more expensive.  Played golf Monday with a guy with who is gonna buy a plunge router from Harbor Freight for something like $125 I think he said.   Will get a frame to go with it and then use the router to level the surface of some large tree trunk slabs to make table tops.  

I have couple standard routers that I mount on a table to replicate a shaper...and of course they can be used to put a nice edge on a table top or something.  My 1-1/2 HP Ryobi has served me well....light enough to handle OK for making edge cuts and very good cutting power.    I've thought about a plunge router but never worked on a project where I could not get along with what I had.     So maybe you need to have some specific need in mind for it? 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'd be interested to hear what you find. 

From what I know, they are not necessarily interchangeable and plunge router is typically more expensive.  Played golf Monday with a guy with who is gonna buy a plunge router from Harbor Freight for something like $125 I think he said.   Will get a frame to go with it and then use the router to level the surface of some large tree trunk slabs to make table tops.  

I have couple standard routers that I mount on a table to replicate a shaper...and of course they can be used to put a nice edge on a table top or something.  My 1-1/2 HP Ryobi has served me well....light enough to handle OK for making edge cuts and very good cutting power.    I've thought about a plunge router but never worked on a project where I could not get along with what I had.     So maybe you need to have some specific need in mind for it? 

I don't have a specific need, at the moment, for the plunge router. I'm not really sure how the combo kits work, to be honest. I was looking more for basic usage, and it seems that the fixed(standard) router would be the way to go. I'll still be doing some research and I'll let you know what I uncover.

Router research. It seems that there are several manufacturers that are making the combo kits. Most contain bases for a fixed and plunge router, and you simply remove the motor and swap to the base of choice.

I’m still thinking about going with a single purpose machine.

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Router research. It seems that there are several manufacturers that are making the combo kits. Most contain bases for a fixed and plunge router, and you simply remove the motor and swap to the base of choice.

I’m still thinking about going with a single purpose machine.

My experience with the few multi-purpose tools I've had is that they are exceedingly inefficient.   If you are going to use the various set-ups on the same project you spend as much time doing set-up or swapping bits as you do working on the project.   That's why I've accumulated multiple drilling/screwdriver tools....just put the drill bit in one, the chamfer bit in another and screwdriver in another.....like a dentist doing work on your teeth.   

You can't afford to do that immediately but sometimes a bargain shows up at Goodwill or a yard sale that's worth taking advantage of.  Get one good "work horse" tool and then some others for less frequent use. Anyway that's been my approach. 

I’m still early in the journey on putting my tool kit together. Initial buy was this Ryobi kit, which I caught on sale for 150. The interchangeable battery is convenient as hell, and it’s great for light use.

Link

I consider my Dremel 3000 the most flexible tool on the planet.

I love working with my hands and things that spin and oscillate. Hopefully, I’ll have more time in the near future. Considering a career change here soon...

Good start guys.    Back when I was building my  collection there was nothing like that available...…which makes me jealous now to see all those cool tools and me with no need for them.   Got a nice Ryobi planer, rotozip and some smaller tools but that's about it for the more modern stuff...The kit looks great. 

JMO but start saving for more batteries or put them on your Christmas list.   Batteries are like clamps.....there is no such thing as too many of them if you are engaged in a serious project.  

I just found this place...saw the plumbing project recap which caught my eye as I have a manufacturer's rep agency to the plumbing trade in Georgia.  @AUDub did a fine job with that one, brought back memories from when I used to work for the Delta Faucet rep over here.  The new lead free brass can be tricky to solder, so well done.  One of the lines we currently represent on the plumbing side is Milwaukee Tools and there is a relatively new copper "press" fitting that doesn't require a torch.  The press tool is little pricey.  I changed out a friends' water heater last week and made four fitting connections in about two minutes.  It's a slick deal.  As for pex tubing, it's actually a great product and I've sold a lot of it over the years.  The push on fittings (Shark Bite et al) also work very well...I've got a few behind the wall in my relatively new (17 year old) house.  I'll try and load up some pictures from the deck project my son and I did last year which started out simple and lasted almost a year.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

I just found this place...saw the plumbing project recap which caught my eye as I have a manufacturer's rep agency to the plumbing trade in Georgia.  @AUDub did a fine job with that one, brought back memories from when I used to work for the Delta Faucet rep over here.  The new lead free brass can be tricky to solder, so well done.  One of the lines we currently represent on the plumbing side is Milwaukee Tools and there is a relatively new copper "press" fitting that doesn't require a torch.  The press tool is little pricey.  I changed out a friends' water heater last week and made four fitting connections in about two minutes.  It's a slick deal.  As for pex tubing, it's actually a great product and I've sold a lot of it over the years.  The push on fittings (Shark Bite et al) also work very well...I've got a few behind the wall in my relatively new (17 year old) house.  I'll try and load up some pictures from the deck project my son and I did last year which started out simple and lasted almost a year.

Thanks for the comments....

I'm old fashioned ….but I have those in my house a couple places from some new work I had done in the bathroom.  They look good....but still make me nervous though...:)    but....I think they might be someone else's problem .

• 2 weeks later...

I need to sand a big ass farm table. I've got a palm sander that is usable but really needs to be replaced.

I'm mostly going to be sanding a big, flat table and flat bench/stool surfaces but I'll also need to hit the legs and the apron. 

Should I get another palm sander? Do you guys have any recommendations? I know I'll need a decent sander in the future, also, but I have no idea what for at this point. 

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I need to sand a big ass farm table. I've got a palm sander that is usable but really needs to be replaced.

I'm mostly going to be sanding a big, flat table and flat bench/stool surfaces but I'll also need to hit the legs and the apron. 

Should I get another palm sander? Do you guys have any recommendations? I know I'll need a decent sander in the future, also, but I have no idea what for at this point. 

I used both a random orbital sander and a belt sander on my countertops. You can cover some ground with that combo.

14 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I used both a random orbital sander and a belt sander on my countertops. You can cover some ground with that combo.

I guess you use the belt sander for the larger, flat sq footage and the orbital for the corners/nooks/crannies?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I guess you use the belt sander for the larger, flat sq footage and the orbital for the corners/nooks/crannies?

You got it! I was able to move a lot of fiber with the belt, then fine tune anything with the ROS. I went with a relatively inexpensive pair from Harbor Freight. When they puke, I'll probably pick up a higher quality unit. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

You got it! I was able to move a lot of fiber with the belt, then fine tune anything with the ROS. I went with a relatively inexpensive pair from Harbor Freight. When they puke, I'll probably pick up a higher quality unit. 

I have a couple 3 x 21 belt sanders and depending on the grit, you can do some good work. Gotta be careful with the grit ….an 80 can really eat up the wood......and just change belts as you get closer to the final destination.   The hand held belt sanders are pretty versatile.....can clamp it to a table top with belt up and use it like a small table top belt sander to smooth up small pieces or single boards.  

• 1 month later...

I have probably 1000 sockets. 

Hex, star, impact, deep, shallow, spark plug, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc in multiple variations from standard to metric. What’s the best way to organize?

Pics would be cool.

Socket strips just arent cutting it. Still too messy and can’t find anything when I need it still. 

And how do I create a thread? 

On 5/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, aujeff11 said:

Hex, star, impact, deep, shallow, spark plug, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc in multiple variations from standard to metric. What’s the best way to organize?

Pics would be cool.

Socket strips just arent cutting it. Still too messy and can’t find anything when I need it still. 

Man, don't ask me how to organize that kind of stuff. My three toolboxes filled with loose tools/ratchets/sockets can attest to that.

As far as starting a thread,  I think you can just go to the topics tab at the top and get after it.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, aujeff11 said:

Pics would be cool.

if you ever find a solution I'll be interested. i have the same problem with all my tools. I have a two car garage with no cars in it. just tools and junk. i spend more time looking for tools than using them.

6 hours ago, alexava said:

if you ever find a solution I'll be interested. i have the same problem with all my tools. I have a two car garage with no cars in it. just tools and junk. i spend more time looking for tools than using them.

I just keep buying toolboxes...and have gradually made them specialized....elect, plumbing, general repairs, auto....and then put one in my closet for simple household fixing so I don't have to go to the basement to tighten something.  Been helping my kids by making sure they are set   so when I vjsit, I can have good tools to fix stuff for them.

And I have a dozen plastic shoeboxes of elect stuff.a dozen jars of nails and screws....just keep adding shelves 😊

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I just keep buying toolboxes...and have gradually made them specialized....elect, plumbing, general repairs, auto....and then put one in my closet for simple household fixing so I don't have to go to the basement to tighten something.  Been helping my kids by making sure they are set   so when I vjsit, I can have good tools to fix stuff for them.

I’d be better served by getting rid of a lot of things and organizing better. I just can’t make myself throw out or sell good stuff. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’d be better served by getting rid of a lot of things and organizing better. I just can’t make myself throw out or sell good stuff. 

Understand....I am about where I do 't add something unless I get rid of something....

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Been helping my kids by making sure they are set   so when I vjsit, I can have good tools to fix stuff for them.

I laughed at this. You are 100% dad. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I laughed at this. You are 100% dad. 

I try..and my sweet daughter always has a "honey do" list for me.  I worried for years if her husband minded about me doing "his" job.....but turns out, he's good with it.:)   and I have fun . 

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I try..and my sweet daughter always has a "honey do" list for me.  I worried for years if her husband minded about me doing "his" job.....but turns out, he's good with it.:)   and I have fun . 

My daughters are young andnaïve enough to think I can fix anything. They don’t see all the YouTube videos I watch when they’re  not around. My wife, well she caught on a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

My daughters are young andnaïve enough to think I can fix anything. They don’t see all the YouTube videos I watch when they’re  not around. My wife, well she caught on a long time ago. 

Through the trial and error process I've gotten where I can do a lot of stuff....and you tube has been a great help too.   I recall several years ago being asked to put in a new toilet and vanity in my daughter's home.  Her husband who is a great father and husband wanted to help...probably felt some obligation to pitch in....so we decided to do the job together.     The thing is....he asked a dozen or more questions....like working with a three year old when most questions started with "why".....and took me twice as long to do the work and also explain as I went. ...and nice to have someone to do the heavy lifting.  

BUT...he paid attention and some years later he called to tell me that he had replaced another toilet and he was proud that he had done it.   I got him a Lowes Home Repairs book for Christmas one year which is a pretty good primer for someone who want's to become more handy around the house. He doesn't do electrical and daughter saves that for me...but otherwise, the two them have taken on some pretty good repairs.....and have most of the tools to do them now.   

Archived