2019 Offical NSD Thread

aujeff11

@ellitor you said in another thread that losing GP hurt most because of loss of Clayton and we had nobody to play X (please don't crucify if that was wring WR letter).  Anyway my question is can Seth Williams not fill that role?

4 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

We all knew Pickens was gone when failed to sign earlier, he is a scumbag for not telling the coaches but with the grade issue ? I hope he enjoys junior college and no one will remember him by this time next year. 

Pickens is the 2019 version of Rueben foster and tj yeldon . 

I'm confused. CGM figures that there is no current problem with the OL situation, but he's going to try to recruit a herd of OL beef next time around and end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced OL at one time? That's the plan? And has that been the plan for the past 3 years? Just wait until 2020?

I gotta say, I'm not aware of any Power5 program that goes about it this way. Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

@ellitor you said in another thread that losing GP hurt most because of loss of Clayton and we had nobody to play X (please don't crucify if that was wring WR letter).  Anyway my question is can Seth Williams not fill that role?

Heres my 2 cents worth....I know Slayton was our deep threat and was a good blocker on the edge....but Seth Williams was the best WR IMHO last season. I think he has enough speed and good enough on 50/50 balls to be a deep threat....I think he is great across the middle....but I would have Swartz running deep....I just dont know how many DBS can keep up with him....We also have Hill, Jackson, McClain who may get more reps now and is a big bodied guy....and maybe Pettway? We will be ok.....we will be fine at the WR spot

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Jesus Christ.It’s an old kids bop Children’s church song lol.

should have known that one!  Thanks!  lol

In the Gus game plan, you only have 2 receivers who are actually targets on any play, because there are only 2 routes. (The others are blockers or distractions.)

🙃

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I still don't think you got the point. Minimum requirements only apply the people in special situations. Unless you were going to get a scholarship in some specialized field, you wouldn't have been accepted with minimum requirements.

And that's why I made the post before my last one...

14 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'm confused. CGM figures that there is no current problem with the OL situation, but he's going to try to recruit a herd of OL beef next time around and end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced OL at one time? That's the plan? And has that been the plan for the past 3 years? Just wait until 2020?

I gotta say, I'm not aware of any Power5 program that goes about it this way. Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?

I believe Mikey will be your go-to resource for this answer....

23 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Pickens is the 2019 version of Rueben foster and tj yeldon . 

I honestly think he will not make the grades to qualify. If this happens, then no loss on our end. I want to wish him well, but I hope when he lines up against our defense, he will be a target no doubt and will be given a good dose of good old slobber knocking hits every time he touches the ball.

will be glad when this darn flu leaves my body. This has been the worst flu I have ever had in my 62 years on this planet!

Edited by doc4aday

21 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I’m not a coach so I don’t know. But there’s a reason we’re going hard after Pettway, the Arkansas transfer wide receiver. He is being recruited to replace Slayton. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AURex said:

Guslogic.

23 minutes ago, AURex said:

@Mikey?

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Assuming no more signees, how many can we sign next year? (Yeah, I know we'll probably take a GT or two).

29 as things stand now. But I expect us to take a transfer or two after spring ball has ended in a couple months. So that number would drop

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I honestly think he will not make the grades to qualify. If this happens, then no loss on our end. I want to wish him well, but I hope when he lines up against our defense, he will be a target no doubt and will be given a good dose of good old slobber knocking hits every time he touches the ball.

will be glad when this darn flu leaves my body. This has been the worst flu I have ever had in my 62 years on this planet!

Doc I feel your pain . I just recently got over it . Whisky is your friend . Prayers for you brother 

• Thanks 1

Well, we did better than last year with finishing 11th. I hope we can bring in some serious OL talent in the 2020 class. The 2020 class better have some OL grad transfers who can come in and play right away. If we did not have a killer defense, we will be in some deep dodo if we cannot take care of the OL needs starting with the 2020 class.

We knocked the lights out on the defensive side of the ball with the 2019 class. I like our RBs and think we hit a serious home run with MAR & Williams. I like this class and will give it a B+ overall.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Hope you get to feeling better, Doc!! The flu is not any kind of fun.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WVR said:

Hope you get to feeling better, Doc!! The flu is not any kind of fun.

My wife gave the flu bug to me! She came down 9 days ago with it and is now recovered.  At least I am not running 102.5 fever anymore. Starting to feel a bit better with the Tamiflu doing what it is supposed to do. The first few days of it made me crazier than I normally am, but has kicked in and tonight is the best I have felt since I came down with it. 

It has been rough here in the mountains of NC with folks coming down with it left and right. I had the flu shot, but it doesn't always work. Tomorrow will be a better day I am sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

AU  has tried to sign big OL classes for 3 years. The question is what does he do to make 2020 any different?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I’m not a coach so I don’t know. But there’s a reason we’re going hard after Pettway, the Arkansas transfer wide receiver. He is being recruited to replace Slayton. 

I wonder if we are forgetting about Matthew Hill.  

Slayton as a Soph was listed as 6'2 190

Hill as a Fresh was 6'1 186.   

Hill has plenty of speed to burn as well.     

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I wonder if we are forgetting about Matthew Hill.  

Slayton as a Soph was listed as 6'2 190

Hill as a Fresh was 6'1 186.   

Hill has plenty of speed to burn as well.     

Hill was my crush last year and he will be a contributor for sure! It’s amazing we had so much talent he didn’t see the field much at all! Had a great hit in the bowl game though.