2019 Offical NSD Thread

aujeff11

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Hill was my crush last year and he will be a contributor for sure! It’s amazing we had so much talent he didn’t see the field much at all! Had a great hit in the bowl game though.

Played 4 games.  2 rushes and a fumble.  But also had a fumble recovery.   I know his is a lanky kid,. But so was Slayton.   Both HS tracksters.    His HS film was phenomenal and again,.  I think we forget it was a battle to the end,. But he picked us over Clemson.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Pickens is the 2019 version of Rueben foster and tj yeldon . 

They all have Kirby in common...tactic that he is putting to use...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CR said:

AU  has tried to sign big OL classes for 3 years. The question is what does he do to make 2020 any different?

Exactly. Gus is big on words and little on the actual delivery of his promises.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm confused. CGM figures that there is no current problem with the OL situation, but he's going to try to recruit a herd of OL beef next time around and end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced OL at one time? That's the plan? And has that been the plan for the past 3 years? Just wait until 2020?

I gotta say, I'm not aware of any Power5 program that goes about it this way. Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?

It works like this: We've got a bunch of rising seniors and even more backups. By signing time for the 2020 class those numbers will be lowered by graduation and we'll need more then. I do think Gus and I both would have liked another OL guy or two today but that didn't happen. No big deal, next year is when the need for more backups/ starters in training will be important.

Gee, it's so nice to enjoy the confidence of your fellow posters. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

They all have Kirby in common...tactic that he is putting to use...

He can't do it alone. He needs equally sleazy kids/handlers/parents on the other side of the deal too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I wonder if we are forgetting about Matthew Hill.  

Slayton as a Soph was listed as 6'2 190

Hill as a Fresh was 6'1 186.   

Hill has plenty of speed to burn as well.     

Lot of potential but little experience. Not sure if Gus sees him as an X WR.

Edited by ellitor

Just underwhelmed 

Gus put himself in a challenging spot by his performance and choosing to double down on himself instead of leaving with a reduced buyout. We are rebuilding at OL, QB & RB going into his 7th year instead of reloading. Our main competitors have a high energy buzz about their program. We needed to be in the top 10 just to stay in the game. 

On another note if the Pickens deal was dirty and Gus intends to be around beyond this year he needs to get with the NCAA. Looks like Kirby is trying to out-Saban, Saban. Emmert won’t touch Saban but Gus not his future replacement will be able to compete for SECC/NCs sandwiched between bookend cheaters. Reminds me of Dubose thinking he could continue the same s*** Stallings was doing after Stallings bolted . Stallings knew Spurrier, Fuller and others were tired of his act and were going to start calling him out with the NCAA. Dubose carried on Stallings work like an idiot and took the fall. Kirby’s needs to be put in his place ....if he is in fact cheating. 

War Eagle 

12 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Pickens is the 2019 version of Rueben foster and tj yeldon . 

These situations always make me angry for a short while but ultimately it’s sad. Sure, the kids are immature and make decisions to behave in ways that are intentionally nasty. The part that’s worse is that adults that should be role models are behind the scenes directing and encouraging this kind of behavior. Just another reason to be less and less enthusiastic about college athletics....

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, fredst said:

The part that’s worse is that adults that should be role models are behind the scenes directing and encouraging this kind of behavior. Just another reason to be less and less enthusiastic about college athletics....

Testify.

Just to point out we are not rebuilding anything in 2019 on ol or rb. All five starters on ol return plus two backups that also started during year due to injury. As to rb bookie and shivers return only lost asa due to transfer. When your going to poor mouth and put down Gus get it right it is not hard to find a correct accurate reason to do so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some guys at work and I were discussing the whole Pickens fiasco. I have been calling for a flip since the beginning of the season when Hoover and PV were on ESPN- Something never really felt right about him.

So you have this kid, who is committed to the same school as the #1 QB in the sate- he is obviously this OB's favorite target in every all star game around- helping his stock rise despite rumblings about his grades and whatnot. Is it possible that he stayed "committed" AU so he would keep getting targets on the big stage to help his own stock?

1 hour ago, fredst said:

These situations always make me angry for a short while but ultimately it’s sad. Sure, the kids are immature and make decisions to behave in ways that are intentionally nasty. The part that’s worse is that adults that should be role models are behind the scenes directing and encouraging this kind of behavior. Just another reason to be less and less enthusiastic about college athletics....

Agree though it's mostly about football and basketball..  Which is evidence that when you look for the sleaze in college sports...."follow the money''.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Agree though it's mostly about football and basketball..  Which is evidence that when you look for the sleaze in college sports...."follow the money''.  

Truth. Plenty of good true student-athletes doing great things at Auburn and everywhere. The dollars in the “revenue sports” just creates so many perverse incentives it brings out all of the worst aspects of human behavior. I wish I could make myself not love watching it so much, lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

It works like this: We've got a bunch of rising seniors and even more backups. By signing time for the 2020 class those numbers will be lowered by graduation and we'll need more then. I do think Gus and I both would have liked another OL guy or two today but that didn't happen. No big deal, next year is when the need for more backups/ starters in training will be important.

Gee, it's so nice to enjoy the confidence of your fellow posters. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Posts like yours its always best to skip to the closing remarks to understand what your mojo is. The snarky tone (which is in pretty much every post) tells us you give Gus  on a regular basis. You are the lone Gus apologist that merely confirms our majority opinion that Gus is driving the program downward by poor planning and/or bad hires.

edit.....no need for that crap....edit

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Posts like yours its always best to skip to the closing remarks to understand what your mojo is. The snarky tone (which is in pretty much every post) tells us you give Gus on a regular basis. You are the lone Gus apologist that merely confirms our majority opinion that Gus is driving the program downward by poor planning and/or bad hires.

You didn't bother to look at the snarky comments that allowed me to write that last sentence? C'mon. If you want to be a leader in the pack instead of eating dust at the rear you'll have to step your game up!

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You didn't bother to look at the snarky comments that allowed me to write that last sentence? C'mon. If you want to be a leader in the pack instead of eating dust at the rear you'll have to step your game up!

I owe you nothing goober man

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

I owe you nothing goober man

Who said you owe me anything? I'm just trying to help you out. Step it up and be a leader in the pack, not a follower. That way you can help set the pack's agenda instead of just being led along.

Yikes. Board taking an ugly turn this morning. Maybe we all should take a deep breath and push back from the keyboard for awhile. I think we are all pulling for the same team, even if we have different opinions about how things are/should be going. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm confused. CGM figures that there is no current problem with the OL situation, but he's going to try to recruit a herd of OL beef next time around and end up with a whole bunch of inexperienced OL at one time? That's the plan? And has that been the plan for the past 3 years? Just wait until 2020?

I gotta say, I'm not aware of any Power5 program that goes about it this way. Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?

I noticed that Wisconsin had similar O-line draft classes, but they already have 4 committed O-lineman to their 2020 class.   They also have depth and talent at all line positions.  It seems to me Auburn has been in this situation for 2 full cycles going back to the 2010 graduating class.   The constantly missing on Offensive Tackles is just mind numbing.  Even some of the guards being taken seem like square pegs for Gus' system.  Top heavy, no bend, bad weight, not much power.  An offensive lineman needs to be a workout warrior and have that desire to be a great lineman.  We tend to get guys that just enjoy the football/campus life but not the desire to be great.  Need more Braden Smith's

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yikes. Board taking an ugly turn this morning. Maybe we all should take a deep breath and push back from the keyboard for awhile. I think we are all pulling for the same team, even if we have different opinions about how things are/should be going. 

Image result for pacifist gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

MAAAAAAAAAAAAN UT had the kind of OT class that we desperately needed to have....... 

UT, a program that has been mired in mediocrity (at best) signed two plug and play 5* Tackles, while Grimes/Gus landed no difference makers (with all due respect and love for the guys that did choose to become AU Tigers)  over the last two recruiting cycles.  It just blows my mind.  Pappoe wanted to play with his buddy, 5* Wayna Morris, an obvious position of great need, but Gus/Grimes could barely get Morris to look at AU.  When was the last time UTK was relevant in the SEC?  When was the last time AU played in the SECC/NC?  Games are won or lost in the trenches.  One my greatest fears is that we will become the 'new' UT.

While every other top tier program consistently recruits OL, Malzahn, Hand, and especially Grimes, aimlessly scramble in futility.  Put Grimes on the same bus out of town with Horton...today.  Announce Simmons as our new OL coach, or send the jet to Provo and bring back Ryan Pugh.  Something has to be done.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, auol72 said:

Just to point out we are not rebuilding anything in 2019 on ol or rb. All five starters on ol return plus two backups that also started during year due to injury. As to rb bookie and shivers return only lost asa due to transfer. When your going to poor mouth and put down Gus get it right it is not hard to find a correct accurate reason to do so.

If Brahms wins the starting job at C then Trox would be the only back up on the OL that has shown real promise so far. That's not much real depth. At RB it still remains to be seen if Worm would be used more than a specialty 5 carries a game back.

3 hours ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Is it possible that he stayed "committed" AU so he would keep getting targets on the big stage to help his own stock?

No. He performed well regardless of what QB was throwing him the ball.

They all cheat, it just depends on what degree and how far you want to.  The REC is so deeply rooted that the benefits may not be immediate but they will be there if you shut your mouth and lay low.  Georgia has now established their little network as well.  The NCAA won't touch Bammer and likely won't do anything to Georgia either unless they get sloppy.  Alabama has done it in plain sight and skated, so they are freakin' teflon coated. I don't believe that Georgia has that kind of protection.  

5 minutes ago, TigerSpider said:

They all cheat, it just depends on what degree and how far you want to.  The REC is so deeply rooted that the benefits may not be immediate but they will be there if you shut your mouth and lay low.  Georgia has now established their little network as well.  The NCAA won't touch Bammer and likely won't do anything to Georgia either unless they get sloppy.  Alabama has done it in plain sight and skated, so they are freakin' teflon coated. I don't believe that Georgia has that kind of protection.  

So if all this conjecture is true...how can Auburn compete? If we try and play dirty like them we more than likely get busted (See Ole Miss)  If we do it the right way, but miss on some elite talent people say the coaches are getting outworked by UGA and UA. 

Edited by PoetTiger