2019 Offical NSD Thread

aujeff11

I know a lot of you are tough on Grimes....but I watched Coach Grimes turn a good TE from my own high school team (freshman when I was a senior) into an NFL tackle at Virginia Tech back in the day. He may be old and yes it would be nice to have a younger, bigger OL coach but the man has a very impressive coaching resume. 

That kid turned man and former NFL talent is Jay Hagood from Easley, South Carolina. 

Image result for Jay Hagood

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Oh well. Have fun going 4-8 and losing your coach in a year or two Ira. 

As opposed to going 6-6 with Auburn and losing his HC in a year or so.

:tease:

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

I look at this picture and understand why we may have some issues with recruiting OL.  I don't think many kids want to come play for Mickey.  We need another Rodney Garner type on the OL.  

HenryMalzahnGrimes.jpg

Good point...and maybe why Nick probably never allows himself to be photographed with any of his defensive linemen ..:)  

But the other Grimes we had a few years ago was big enough to kick tail...and seemed like he might have been too nice.  Lots of bark in that little coach Grimes I guess. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Good point...and maybe why Nick probably never allows himself to be photographed with any of his defensive linemen ..:)  

But the other Grimes we had a few years ago was big enough to kick tail...and seemed like he might have been too nice.  Lots of bark in that little coach Grimes I guess. 

I'll say this dude doesn't look too pleased in the pic

• Like 1

Folks calling Ira Henry a "true OT" and saying Justin Osborne is a "swing player" make me laugh. They're the same height, and if anything, Osborne appears to have a longer wingspan. In general, 6'4" isn't ideal on the edge, but Henry was no different than Osborne in terms of projecting his natural position. In college, both can likely work on the outside.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I know a lot of you are tough on Grimes....but I watched Coach Grimes turn a good TE from my own high school team (freshman when I was a senior) into an NFL tackle at Virginia Tech back in the day. He may be old and yes it would be nice to have a younger, bigger OL coach but the man has a very impressive coaching resume. 

That kid turned man and former NFL talent is Jay Hagood from Easley, South Carolina. 

Image result for Jay Hagood

I appreciate that Grimes has perhaps been a good coach in the past......but so have Lou Holtz and Bobby Bowden and I don't want either of those guys joining our coaching staff. I'm ready for Grimes to be thanked for his contributions and moved along, to be replaced by an energetic teacher of the position that can relate to and recruit the current generation of high school studs. Not sure if that guy exists or if we can get him but I wish we'd try.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Miami has similar standards to Auburn, I shouldve tried throwing an application down there...10 hour drive sounds unbearable though 

You didn't read what @AURex posted above? It's very clear, and the way I've always understood it. Most major schools have the same minimum, something the NCAA will accept. Now, if you're an ordinary Joe, you'll have to do much better to gain admission. If you're a music genius, high profile athlete or maybe a veteran with combat injuries, they can let you in if you meet their minimum standard. In other words, if you're for some reason "special" all you have to do is meet the minimum. If you're not special, you have to score well above the minimum to gain admission. This applies to every SEC school except Vandy. They still have lower standards for athletes and other special cases, but their lowest standard is still higher than any other conference school's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

UNC

Gotcha....I’ve missed that amongst the pages of threads. I will say there’s some intriguing o line in the transfer portal

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I appreciate that Grimes has perhaps been a good coach in the past......but so have Lou Holtz and Bobby Bowden and I don't want either of those guys joining our coaching staff. I'm ready for Grimes to be thanked for his contributions and moved along, to be replaced by an energetic teacher of the position that can relate to and recruit the current generation of high school studs. Not sure if that guy exists or if we can get him but I wish we'd try.....

The OL improved this year once everyone was healthy and able to play together down the stretch. This year will clarify a lot. 

Auburn players offered but not committed anywhere yet in case we are trying to fill spots... though I don't know if these are committable offers so no one jump down my throat if I'm wrong FFS.

Jonathan Sewell 3* RB

Deshon Stoudemire 3* WR

Jurial Caldwell NR WR 6'0" 190 lbs. from Robert E Lee High School in Jax FL

Howard Allen Jr. 3* OT

Dawand Jones 3* OT

Jamond Gordon 3* SDE

Christopher Russell 3* ILB

Ah'Shawn Moore 3* OLB

Brothers who we're waiting on now

Justice Hill 3* ATH

Gyasi Mattison 3* ATH

Not confident we make a last second push on any of these though. Likely we'll let the scholarships roll over to next year right?

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Auburn players offered but not committed anywhere yet in case we are trying to fill spots... though I don't know if these are committable offers so no one jump down my throat if I'm wrong FFS.

Jonathan Sewell 3* RB

Deshon Stoudemire 3* WR

Jurial Caldwell NR WR 6'0" 190 lbs. from Robert E Lee High School in Jax FL

Howard Allen Jr. 3* OT

Dawand Jones 3* OT

Jamond Gordon 3* SDE

Christopher Russell 3* ILB

Ah'Shawn Moore 3* OLB

Brothers who we're waiting on now

Justice Hill 3* ATH

Gyasi Mattison 3* ATH

Not confident we make a last second push on any of these though. Likely we'll let the scholarships roll over to next year right?

***My bad Jamond Gordon will be going the JUCO route***

13 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The OL improved this year once everyone was healthy and able to play together down the stretch. This year will clarify a lot. 

Maybe but I still wouldn't 't say that our OL play was great. That may be the talent level but brings us back to the original point: recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and I don't have confidence that JB is the guy to bring in the talent that we need to compete at a high level. JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Smart is smart enough to know how much it would be to get Pickens to flip from Auburn to ga right on signing day.

Took a few dollars, I'm sure...

1 minute ago, 1auburn1 said:

O. Brothers, Where Art Thou??

+1 I am out of likes

I'm sure it took more then a few dollars to get George AND his family to become ug fans. Just remember, ug and Pickens comes to Auburn this yer. Let's show him what he could have been apart of.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm sure it took more then a few dollars to get George AND his family to become ug fans. Just remember, ug and Pickens comes to Auburn this yer. Let's show him what he could have been apart of.

Junior Rosegreen honorary captian?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

He only comes if he gets his grades up.