What’s your grade for the 2019 class?

toddc

I know we missed on the offensive line and lost a 5* in Pickens, but overall it was a good (not great) class. The quality is there with a higher average rating than last year and 6th in the nation for average recruits rating of 91+. We also got a transfer who was a 4* out of high school and he’ll play h-back! I also think we have 4 spots for transfers to shore up the o-line or add a receiver. We may have dodged a troubled young man in Pickins who may not qualify ( looking for a positive). I’m giving it a solid B grade. What say you?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was an A-. 

Pickens doesn't bother me as much because I was ready for it. Bringing in Moore, MAR, and Bell was just about exactly what we needed. Pickens was icing that we just didn't get. 

B at best.

I'd give a solid A+ for the early signing period. Hanging on to that group with all the negative lies that were being floated was a masterful accomplishment.

I give today a C and that's with thinking that Pickens being gone is a positive thing. Today's quality was fine but we needed another LB, another safety and at least one more OL. Had we signed those three, that would have put us at 25 with one or two slots left for transfers. I think only getting five today instead of eight is disappointing.

So overall, I think a B on the class is spot on.

Class is a B-. DL is A+, Qb is A+ (best HS QB we ever signed IMO). RB A (best class in years). Other areas were good, and I like the Guards we signed... however... to beat a dead horse again for the 3rd year in a row... The lack of overall OL talent - especially the OTs - is extremely concerning and gets a grade of 0. We basically should have signed Morris and Putnam and we signed neither. This year we will be fine because of transfers. Next year we are going to be in the biggest world of hurt we have seen since the TOT days when it comes to OL. Anyone that followed those days in recruiting will know that means we are in deep ****. 

I like the overall  quality of this class. Losing pickens hurt a bit, but I would trade Moore and MAR any day of the week for pickens. If we get Pettway this will shore up our receiving corps. We have some of the best receivers in the SEC and no doubt the fastest hands down. If Stove can gain his form before his injury, we will have some serious weapons that imho, far outweighs pickens.

This is a tough one. Being 11th overall is ok & 6th on rating per commit is good but I just can't get the bitter taste of this should have been one of the 3 best classes in the country out of my mouth. This class should have been right there with Bama & UGA talent wise. Grade by position: QB - A (needs met), RB - A (needs met),  TE - A (needs meet), WR - C+ (Slayton leaving created a need at the X WR spot that was not met when Pickens flipped. Also Sheffield still could end up at S.), OL - D (Planning on 5 & only signing 3 doesn't cut it.), DL - A (needs meet), LB - B- (Staff met number wants but expected a better bang after getting Pappoe early.), CB - B+ (Needs met if one of the DBs or Sheffield can play safety if needed.). Overall grade: B.

Gotta be an F.

We had a mission of getting quality O linemen and miserably failed. 

E, what’s our biggest OL class under Gus?

The ceiling was there (and very attainable like Ellitor mentioned) for this to be the best Auburn class ever and one which firmly put us on the same level as those two. Losing guys like Wanya and Dickens at the literal finish line might be slightly indicative of the failures of certain hires and this season overall hampering slightly, but even with those qualifiers, it still felt like a top 7-8 finish should've been in the realm of possibility

Ill say though, the future is very bright for this staff recruiting wise if they can stay together and build on an actually not-embarrassing year of football. The space isnt there to have an incredibly high ceiling, but 3-4 5*s should be in the realm of reality with the OL, WR and maybe DL/DB corp all needing some instant contributors after next season 

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

E, what’s our biggest OL class under Gus?

Cuz I like you as an internet brother I'm going to jab you with a lazy ass & check real quick...

Gus's OL class #s starting with 2013: 2, 2, 5, 2, 3, 2, 3

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Cuz I like you as an internet brother I'm going to jab you with a lazy ass & check real quick...

Touché.

I thought it was 5. Although even that class was kinda poor in retrospect. Let’s see how Gus and Grimes can do at putting together 6+ OL with some “instant impact” abilities. 

Y’all are depressing me.

Last year I felt indifferent about the signing class, but thought that we had covered some needs and really loved that some of the freshman got to play this year.

This year I was super excited about that class (maybe Bo and OP escalated that) and I think I would still be happy (aside from the OL, which makes me nervous) had the GP thing not gone down the way it did. It’s rubbed me all the wrong way - WHY DO I EVEN CARE?! 

Can I give an A rating for class attitude?  

We had a lot of really good players in this class. But man, not getting more offensive lineman, especially when we desperately needed some studs, tells me I dont think this staff is capable of it. The GP loss to the Dwags was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I figured he would flip, just not to Captain Bowlcut. I swear....Bowl Cut is the elementary school bully and Gus is one of the nerds. Anytime one of the nerds gets their hands on something nice, theres ole Bowl Cut swooping in to beat them up and take it. Gus needs to man up, cut the good guy act, and start fighting fire with fire. 

C. Quality skill recruits, but miserably lacking OL's especially OT's and a solid center. A good solid OL is the very heart of an effective O. 2020 is looking bad folks as far as the OL goes.

B-. Not getting quality online commits when it's a huge need in the SEC and for your squad is just not acceptable. Good early signing period. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That is shocking to see the actual numbers for his time here. Just inexplicable how AU can sign so few O-Linemen on a consistent basis.

Hope for late O-line grad transfer , but A overall considering this past season, and all distraction/drama. I have hated on Gus this whole season , but give him credit for signing number 11 class with the amount he had to fight through.(I know most self induced)

Missed some big needs , but hopefully make due.

I do not know how close we were with some guys or what class could have been. Holding this strong after this circus show this past season is impressive in my opinion. Will see what Grimes is made of with developing last years O-line talent.

The biggest positive takeaway I have from the OL is interior talent.  Keiondre Jones looks like a real talent.  As guards, he and Bell help us on the interior big-time.  But leave OT completely out of it for a second (which of course is glaring hole in this class), depth on the inside is hurting.

Archived