Time for a little Sunshine Pumping

AuburnNTexas

Next years D is going to be good.  Thanks to players deciding to stay our D-Line should be great next year. Plus have some incoming players who will contribute. We lost our starting LB's but a lot of young LB's got real PT and should be ready and we have two new LB's coming in one who could become a starter as year progresses because he is that good. DB most starters are back and the replacements got a lot of PT.

O has some real potential. O-Line weakness last year got better by end of year.  I am not just talking about Perdue game the O-line was better against both bama and Ga. the at the beginning of the year they all return. We might have some interior help from Irvin, Stutts, and Brahms which will help us in 2020. We also added 3 O-line with Jones being a stud who also should be able to help us in 2020 and we will be adding Alex Jackson as an OT more for 2020. We lose a couple of key receivers but I believe returners are very good and added a couple more. QB is the key for next year we have some talent if one or two step up in spring we could be solid next year.  We have the potential for a good year next year but as always we have one of the toughest schedules in the country as we play SEC west and GA and FLA next year. 

2020 is the year everybody is expecting the collapse especially because the O-Line will all graduate which is always a bad thing. This is where Sunshine Pumping becomes difficult especially for me who thinks the game is won and lost in the trenches. The couple of D-Line who returned for one last year will be gone there will be a drop off but not dramatic as we have quality backups who get lots of PT under coach G. LB will be a strength in 2020 as we will have a very talented experienced group returning same thing at DB as all the good ones we just recruited should be ready to join the ranks. We should have found our QB, we have great RB's with the addition of the two this year and our receiving corp will be more experienced. 

Now we come to O-Line and this is where there is a very legitimate concern but there are also some rays of sunlight. Center Brahm should be ready but if not we have Irvin and Bell. Guard Irvin, Bell, Jones, Stutts, Hamm, maybe Ashley, Tackle big concern Troxell, Hamm, Osborne, Jones converted D-Line. Irvin will have been is system for two years, Brahms for three Jones for one Stutts and Hamm two years they should have had enough time to develop and were sold players out of HS interior should be solid but lack game experience and cohesiveness.  Tackle we need to pray that at least three of the 4 I mentioned will have developed into SEC tackles as we always need a backup at every position in O-Line. 

To be honest I will need to take some sunshine pills to make myself believe we can have a serviceable O-line in 2020. Even if players develop starting 5 new players will take a while to work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to get fired up, might be some others that feel the same way.  Personally, we could recruit cam to come here again, and I still couldn’t get pumped because I never know which Gus we’re going to have show up

8 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

Hard to get fired up, might be some others that feel the same way.  Personally, we could recruit cam to come here again, and I still couldn’t get pumped because I never know which Gus we’re going to have show up

I understand that and you are correct Gus is always the X - Factor my comments were more on the quality and experience of the players. 

You're both absolutely right. No doubt about it. 

The only thing that can help 2020 from being a wash (unless the Patriots OLine coach is hired) is a transcendent year in 2019 to help ease crooting. We've been going along the margins of barely good years for far too long, and that's eventually gonna drop our value to a young kid looking at everyone else around us come up. 

I think there's a lot there for 2019 to be a good year. The DBs should be vastly better than the performances they showed often last season. LBs could be deeper but I dont know if they'll necessarily be better. Deshaun's a smart guy. DL should be the best in the nation, and should REALLY be that. Not just in name. 

WRs: lose Davis and Slayton, replace em with Stove and Hastings. The value favors the former group slightly, but the latter two give you alot of tough yards Slayton rarely did last season. RBs should be universes better. OL should also fit that bill unless someone gets hurt then all we can do is pray. The QB position last year rarely showed up in big time matchups and wasnt used correctly, so I hope with more mobile QBs, we get a better blend out of the offense. 

Id say 9-3 off of the top of my head 

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The only thing that can help 2020 from being a wash (unless the Patriots OLine coach is hired) is a transcendent year in 2019 to help ease crooting. We've been going along the margins of barely good years for far too long, and that's eventually gonna drop our value to a young kid looking at everyone else around us come up. 

I think there's a lot there for 2019 to be a good year. The DBs should be vastly better than the performances they showed often last season. LBs could be deeper but I dont know if they'll necessarily be better. Deshaun's a smart guy. DL should be the best in the nation, and should REALLY be that. Not just in name. 

WRs: lose Davis and Slayton, replace em with Stove and Hastings. The value favors the former group slightly, but the latter two give you alot of tough yards Slayton rarely did last season. RBs should be universes better. OL should also fit that bill unless someone gets hurt then all we can do is pray. The QB position last year rarely showed up in big time matchups and wasnt used correctly, so I hope with more mobile QBs, we get a better blend out of the offense. 

Id say 9-3 off of the top of my head 

:)   9-3 doesn't sound that great but on the other hand, to do that we will have to beat some very good teams since our schedule includes 6 or 7  teams ranked above us in the pre-season rankings.....and of course not slip up anywhere along the way. . 

Beat me to it!  I was waiting to create a thread like this until after the late NSD.  Will probably post something similar on Monday.  Good write-up!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

:)   9-3 doesn't sound that great but on the other hand, to do that we will have to beat some very good teams since our schedule includes 6 or 7  teams ranked above us in the pre-season rankings.....and of course not slip up anywhere along the way. . 

9 win season is absolutely fine. 

4 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Hopefully this Gus that coached Cam...please and thank u Gus.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

9 win season is absolutely fine. 

I agree but for many contributors on this site, a 9-3 season would be unacceptable...but I'd consider that damn good with the schedule we have. 

I actually think Gus, while being a bad head coach, can be an elite OC. With him calling plays again, I think the O can improve dramatically depending on QB play. Speaking of QB play, I think a change in QB will actually be good - just maybe not the first few games. I also think the OL (for this year only) will be OK. The defense should be even better this year in some areas. If we win 9 regular season games with our schedule I will be pleasantly surprised. 

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I actually think Gus, while being a bad head coach, can be an elite OC. With him calling plays again, I think the O can improve dramatically depending on QB play. Speaking of QB play, I think a change in QB will actually be good - just maybe not the first few games. I also think the OL (for this year only) will be OK. The defense should be even better this year in some areas. If we win 9 regular season games with our schedule I will be pleasantly surprised. 

He's averaging almost 9 wins per season (including post season) He's never missed a bowl game, and he's been to three new-years six or BCS games in 6 seasons. He's not a bad head coach. He's not elite, but it's not like we have a terrible awful no good very bad coach.I do think you are correct that he can go from average to great if he takes the reigns on offense and makes some great calls this year.

Edit: Gus has also played in 2 out of the last 6 SEC Championship games with a dynasty going on in the same state, conference and division. 

Again, he's by no means elite, but he not a bad head coach IMO

Well, I am an admitted sunshine pumper and not ashamed of it. 2019 depends on the qb. I think our oline will be much improved. Our defense will be stout, or wr and rb positions will be very good to great. Our qb is the big ?. I think the new coaches on offense will pay immediate dividends. Coach Dill will be good for ole Gus. I forcast 10+ wins in 2019.my O & B shades are doing just fine, thank you very much! War Eagle!

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

He's averaging almost 9 wins per season (including post season) He's never missed a bowl game, and he's been to three new-years six or BCS games in 6 seasons. He's not a bad head coach. He's not elite, but it's not like we have a terrible awful no good very bad coach.I do think you are correct that he can go from average to great if he takes the reigns on offense and makes some great calls this year.

Edit: Gus has also played in 2 out of the last 6 SEC Championship games with a dynasty going on in the same state, conference and division. 

Again, he's by no means elite, but he not a bad head coach IMO

This is all true. And my stomach hurts thinking of the 'might have beens'. It seems fewer teams have beat Auburn than Gus has beat Auburn.

26 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

It's February. Pump away.

Man...that's great...had not heard that but wonderful sound.....and a good song...  thanks

Another Bill Withers for Golf...just heard it today.  Describes yesterday, maybe in the football world.  Describes yesterday AND today in the central Alabama weather world...though it's said to be dropping by the decades tonight. Adding Kirk's version after.

Some good to great music puts me in the sunshine-pumping mood! I think we will be fine next year.  Gus has always figured out how to pull a rabbit out of the hat.  And we have talent that is hungry for greatness.  :jossun:

Archived