Time for a little Sunshine Pumping

AuburnNTexas

On 2/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, keesler said:

Folks in general fans/alum/donors can stomach a 9-3 regular season every now & then if it's mixed with a lot more 10-2/11-1 seasons and consistent runs for championship contention.

That's what I want, that's what you want, that's what all Auburn fans want. However, at no point in our history has Auburn consistently achieved this level. One might argue that the middle of Pat Dye's time here was like that. Remember, Dye never had to take a team into Tuscaloosa and never had to play in an SEC championship game. Also, the few times we've accomplished this (Jordan, 1956-1961 or Dye's middle years), we've been put on probation in short order. Had we not been super-squeaky clean in the Cam Newton deal they'd have got us then too.

That's not defeatism, but is history and facts that should be acknowledged. People point to Clemson. If Clemson had bammer on one side and the DullDawgs on the other daily seeking for any available dirt, they'd be in the NCAA's doghouse too, on trumped up charges if nothing real could be found.

I know you don't buy into a lot of conspiracy theories, but if you think the probation we were on in 1957 wasn't cooked by the REC, I suggest you read this book :

Shug: The Life and Times of Auburn's Ralph 'Shug' Jordan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

He's averaging almost 9 wins per season (including post season) He's never missed a bowl game, and he's been to three new-years six or BCS games in 6 seasons. He's not a bad head coach. He's not elite, but it's not like we have a terrible awful no good very bad coach.I do think you are correct that he can go from average to great if he takes the reigns on offense and makes some great calls this year.

Edit: Gus has also played in 2 out of the last 6 SEC Championship games with a dynasty going on in the same state, conference and division. 

Again, he's by no means elite, but he not a bad head coach IMO

That is the problem right there. WAY to many AU fans and even worse way to many power brokers at Auburn have this mindset that just because he is not a bad coach that is good enough. Not for me. Not Ever. We are not even close to where I want to be and where I think we should be as a football program. Clemson is our little freaking brother and they are a elite program now. Anything besides a elite program and it is a fail in my mind. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, keesler said:

9-3 LAST season instead of 7-5 would've shut up a ton of the naysayers on this site.  And all that noise & rumor's from within the AD in mid-October ("The money's there to pay his buyout") through the crap slinging in the media after the IB (Harbert trying to re-negotiate Gus' contract) would've never transpired.  In other words, a slight drop off from the '17 (10-2) season wouldn't have been as unacceptable as the 7-5 Gus turned in - people would've been much more accepting of 9-3 reg season with a bowl win to bring the final to 10-3 in 2018.

Folks in general fans/alum/donors can stomach a 9-3 regular season every now & then if it's mixed with a lot more 10-2/11-1 seasons and consistent runs for championship contention.  But when the HC keeps mixing in 7-5 & more 8-4 seasons than 10/11 win seasons, it's not acceptable at a place like Auburn.  Programs on the level of OleMiss/Arky/MSU/SoCarl/Kentucky, etc accept 7-5/8-4 seasons regularly, Auburn does not.

At the end of the day, Gus has written his own narrative at Auburn and only he can "turn this thing around" again.  Good luck to him and WDE!

This sounds EXACTLY like the same crap as 3 of the last 4 offseasons. In Gus Malzahns Auburn it truly is groundhog day. The man gets so many chances. How do people realize HE IS NEVER GOING TO CHANGE?! If he was he would of done it already. Him taking back the playcalling "officially" is him going backwards not forward........... O p.s. I agreed with everything you said in the rest of your post. This is Auburn. We expect and should DEMAND championships. Not 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

9-3 should’ve been the floor with how favorable that schedule was set up. Most inexplicable failure in my time of watching Auburn football

I see your 2018 and raise you 2014. Biggest choke job down the stretch in AU football I have seen in my 29 years. That was one of our most complete offenses ever and we wasted it on some BS 8-5 season.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, tdburger said:

Wonder why Paul is barefoot?  😊

Well he would have been 28 IF he had lived

On 2/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, AU64 said:

I agree but for many contributors on this site, a 9-3 season would be unacceptable...but I'd consider that damn good with the schedule we have. 

Im hard on Gus, don’t think he’s our coach much longer. However, you are correct with this schedule and breaking in a new QB then 9-3 would be good and win the bowl game for a 10 win season and its excellent. Win in Baton Rouge or take down one of bama and uga and thats icing.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mikey said:

That's what I want, that's what you want, that's what all Auburn fans want. However, at no point in our history has Auburn consistently achieved this level. One might argue that the middle of Pat Dye's time here was like that. Remember, Dye never had to take a team into Tuscaloosa and never had to play in an SEC championship game. Also, the few times we've accomplished this (Jordan, 1956-1961 or Dye's middle years), we've been put on probation in short order. Had we not been super-squeaky clean in the Cam Newton deal they'd have got us then too.

That's not defeatism, but is history and facts that should be acknowledged. People point to Clemson. If Clemson had bammer on one side and the DullDawgs on the other daily seeking for any available dirt, they'd be in the NCAA's doghouse too, on trumped up charges if nothing real could be found.

I know you don't buy into a lot of conspiracy theories, but if you think the probation we were on in 1957 wasn't cooked by the REC, I suggest you read this book :

Shug: The Life and Times of Auburn's Ralph 'Shug' Jordan

So, because Auburn has been a certain something all of this time then we are to just accept mediocrity and never aspire to anything greater? Ok. Let’s just keep making excuses for the failures caused by our administration and coaches over the years then. If this is how you think then i’m not sure why you even watch the games? If you go into every season knowing 8-4 is pretty much the best we should do then whats the point? Say what you will about Clemson not having to deal with bama and uga every year but they damn sure have to deal with them on the recruiting trail and they’ve had to go thru bama 4 straight years and beat them two of those times on the biggest stage in college football including a beatdown the likes of which we haven’t been able to lay on them in 50 years. 

10 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

So, because Auburn has been a certain something all of this time then we are to just accept mediocrity.....

SIGH

We are paying elite money. The expectation should be elite results. If life is too hard in the SEC then take a pay cut. 

Archived