6 Players Invited to NFL Combine

abw0004

Auburn will have six former players participating in this year’s NFL Combine.

The NFL released the official list of participants for the Combine on Thursday, with quarterback Jarrett Stidham, cornerback Jamel Dean, wide receivers Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton, linebacker Deshaun Davis and defensive tackle Dontavius Russell among the 338 prospects to accept an invite. This year’s NFL Combine takes place Feb. 26 through March 9 in Indianapolis.

Prior to the NFL’s official release of the participants list, Deshaun Davis and Slayton publicly announced they had accepted invites. The remaining four Auburn players heading to Indianapolis did not come as a surprise, though.

Stidham, a two-year starter at quarterback who declared following his redshirt-junior season, impressed during Senior Bowl practices last month and will have a chance to improve his stock in a relatively down draft class for quarterbacks. Ryan Davis was a record-setting receiver at Auburn, where he finished with 178 career receptions (most in program history) and was 14th on the Tigers’ all-time receiving yards list with 1,555.

Dean was a shutdown cornerback for Auburn, where he started for two seasons in the secondary before declaring early for the draft following the team’s Music City Bowl win against Purdue. The 6-foot-2, 208-pound Dean, who has overcome multiple knee injuries in high school and college, led Auburn with 11 pass breakups last season.

Russell was a four-year starter at defensive tackle for Auburn, appearing in 52 games with 49 starts from 2015-18 and finishing his career with 154 tackles.

• WarTiger changed the title to 6 Players Invited to NFL Combine

The NFL invited 338 players, over 25% of the total invites came from SEC teams, 90 players were invited from 13 SEC teams (Vols had ZERO) haha!

Vandy  2

Arky  4

USC  5

AU/Mizz  6

LSU/UF  7

MSU/UK/aTm  8

UGA/OM  9

UAT 11

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

The NFL invited 338 players, over 25% of the total invites came from SEC teams, 90 players were invited from 13 SEC teams (Vols had ZERO) haha!

Vandy  2

Arky  4

USC  5

AU/Mizz  6

LSU/UF  7

MSU/UK/aTm  8

UGA/OM  9

UAT 11

Not a good look for us.

DSlay, it's going to be fun watching you educate some folks. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Not a good look for us.

Ehh, it's middling which is about where the AU program is right now >>> Middle of the pack.

I love glowing articles with threads praising AU's accomplishments with player accolades & achievements.  But as Paul Harvey used to say, and "here's the rest of the story",  I can't help but measure AU to their counterparts to see where we land on the spectrum of the SEC.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Ehh, it's middling which is about where the AU program is right now >>> Middle of the pack.

I love glowing articles with threads praising AU's accomplishments with player accolades & achievements.  But as Paul Harvey used to say, and "here's the rest of the story",  I can't help but measure AU to their counterparts to see where we land on the spectrum of the SEC.

Exactly.

45 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Will Chandler Cox play in the NFL?  Seems like very few teams use Fullbacks anymore.  I don't think Jay Prosch was even picked up after the Texans released him.

I was wondering the same thing.  Quick search found this article (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/2/17067792/fullbacks-dimitri-flowers-nick-bawden-donnie-ernsberger-draft-2018) but I don't know if I agree.  Yeah there are a few teams that will still lineup the FB in the traditional since, but I do think they are dying out.

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Will Chandler Cox play in the NFL?  Seems like very few teams use Fullbacks anymore.  I don't think Jay Prosch was even picked up after the Texans released him.

The thing about Prosch is that he was almost a zero threat of touching the ball. Cox gives you a lot more in the passing game, and possibly the run game, too. 

The Patriots use Devlin really well, but sometimes it feels like their whole thing is succeeding with exceptions to the rule. 

Edit: Not that I'm saying Cox is likely to succeed at the next level. I have no idea. Just that I personally don't find him and Prosch particularly comparable.

I was hoping that we could have used Cox more like Peyton Hillis, but I'm not sure he's that kind of cat, either. 

Damn. I had forgotten by now that my guy Jamel Dean declared for the draft. Now I am sad all over again. Well this sucks.........

mike.gif

cera.gif

14 minutes ago

WR Ryan Davis was targeted 220 times at Auburn and his avg depth of target was 2.4 (!!). That's insane for a WR. Very unique usage. Wonder if an NFL team thinks it can transfer to a slot/gadget role.

I think he can, just might take a year or two.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:23 PM, auburnphan said:

14 minutes ago

WR Ryan Davis was targeted 220 times at Auburn and his avg depth of target was 2.4 (!!). That's insane for a WR. Very unique usage. Wonder if an NFL team thinks it can transfer to a slot/gadget role.

That sounds like the Patriots' offense to me. Let Brady dink it 5 yards or less on a crossing route and then let the shifty WR rack up yards for him despite his below-average arm talent 😮

On 2/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, auburnphan said:

I think so, too. That's the thing about Gus's offense. We have no way of knowing what these guys are actually capable of. 

RD could be the next Antonio Brown for all we know. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, McLoofus said:

I think so, too. That's the thing about Gus's offense. We have no way of knowing what these guys are actually capable of. 

Exactly...makes me want to eat my hat

On February 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM, McLoofus said:

Not a good look for us.

What's not a good look? If the o and D lineman would've left then that would've made it 10 invitees. Would you rather them had left so our NFL invite list could look good? 

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What's not a good look? If the o and D lineman would've left then that would've made it 10 invitees. Would you rather them had left so our NFL invite list could look good? 

O linemen? Plural?

Obviously I'm glad that the DLs stayed. 

Look at the teams below us on that list. Look at the teams at the top. I bet it looks the same way most years. 

Archived