Updated: Roe v. Wade overturned

AUDub

27 minutes ago, Didba said:

others in a secular nation

They don't want to be a secular nation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The Federalist Society is the Supreme Court.

Yes, since it was founded in the early 80s, their goal, now achieved, was to take over the courts 

• Like 2

Just now, W.E.D said:

They don't want to be a secular nation.

Nope. They want to save us by instituting as theocracy. Which is hilarious because they love the constitution so much (some are pointing to it here just a few minutes ago) but when it benefits them to ignore the constitution to further their ideology, its just a piece of paper.  The establishment clause is just a figment in their hypocritical minds.

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

Tell me you know nothing about Con law without telling me you know nothing about con law.

Yeah thank God women cannot get abortions after being raped in the state of Alabama.  And before you say you know more about the law than I do. You don't unless you have a law degree.

I will tell you that the SCOTUS knows more than you or I about Constitutional law and their decision is more learned than your freshly minted law degree.

You do like to throw up that law degree don’t you.  I hope you learn to be less emotional.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The conservative side of the court has actually looked at the Constitution to make a ruling as opposed to creating legislation when the Left has the majority.  We need more of this, thank God for Trump.  It was the best thing he did.

Oh they look to the constitution? Strange, it seems they ignored the establishment clause pretty easily. Pro-life is almost exclusively a religious belief.

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

I once had a catholic acquaintance tell me at church that the country would be far better off if it was a catholic theocracy where everyone was forced to be catholic, I stopped going shortly after that.  That's the scary thing.  They are the minority, but hold the power of the majority and want to institute a theocracy to save all the rest of us heathens.

Jesus does not force himself upon anyone.  So, the Church has to take over for him.  Jesus clearly does not understand the role of God.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I will tell you that the SCOTUS knows more than you or I about Constitutional law and their decision is more learned than your freshly minted law degree.

You do like to throw up that law degree don’t you.  I hope you learn to be less emotional.

I hope you learn to not force your beliefs onto others.

Yes I'll throw my law degree in uneducated, prejudicial (unless you support gay marriage, but I bet you don't) people's face like yourself every day of the week. 

and yeah I get emotional when my female family members could be raped or molested and be forced to have the child. Its ya know, something that bothers me quite a bit. I guess its not very important to you though.

Edited by Didba

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I doubt some of them do know more.  They have corrupted their scholarship (or even replaced it) with ideology.

There is no such thing as an ideological intellectual.

• Like 2

Guns have more rights than women. Also... our mothers and grandmothers had more rights than the women and girls of today.

What a dark day for our nation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

I doubt some of them do know more.  They have corrupted their scholarship (or even replaced it) with ideology.

This so much. Thank you. The justices may have more experience than I but I have not been corrupted so much that I would ever throw out precedent providing a fundamental right to citizens,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Guns have more rights than women. Also... our mothers and grandmothers had more rights than the women and girls of today.

What a dark day for our nation.

Hey, make sure your loved one's don't get raped or molested by someone in a position of power within a church because if they do they wont be able to get an abortion in Alabama or Texas! Yet this was a "christian" decision.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

To do what you ask, conservatives would have to change their entire ideological outlook on helping others, among many many other social issues.

I mean, yes and no.  Religious conservatives are consistently shown to give the most money to charity and have adopt children at a rate that's twice as high as the population in general.  Many if not most are very generous people in helping others. 

But you are right that it will require a shift or at least an broadening of their view on how we can accomplish helping mothers, children, families in the wake of this ruling.  I believe there are some things that will require and can only feasibly be done by federal, state and local governments either through policy and law or social programs.  They're simply the only ones that have the reach needed to do certain things.  But there are other things - more tailored, closer to the ground work that would be best done through private non-profits, charities and even employers.  Right now too many Christians and conservatives only see the value in the latter and nothing in the former and I think that needs to change.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Didba said:

Well Loving falls under equal protection as well as SDProcess so it has other precedent to stand on.

Yeah. I actually said as much on reddit earlier. 

Proof lol

image.png

Edited by AUDub

49 minutes ago, Didba said:

The amount of you that think forcing your religious beliefs onto others in a secular nation is okay, fine and dandy is absolutely disgusting.

The separation of church and state and the establishment clause exist for a reason to produce a secular nation and without them its a slippery slope to a theocratic government such as the Emirates.

This framing isn't giving the situation an honest look.

Every law on the books is a reflection of the values and beliefs of some that's being "forced" onto everyone to one degree or another.  This isn't just something religious people do, secular people do it as well.  So the question isn't whether some people's beliefs will be forced on others or not, it's whose will be and on whom.

It also ignores that there are plenty of people in this country who oppose abortion and are not religious in any sense.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Didba said:

With this rationale we'd still be dealing with segregation.

If you go to the 3:40 mark of the video you will hear your President talk about passing legislation to make abortion that law of the land.  He said he can’t do this by EO, his favorite way of cram down.

25 minutes ago, Didba said:

Oh they look to the constitution? Strange, it seems they ignored the establishment clause pretty easily. Pro-life is almost exclusively a religious belief.

I couldn’t say it better myself.  The original ruling was flawed.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I couldn’t say it better myself.  The original ruling was flawed.

Word games.  For the last 50 years it has been a constitutional right.  Now, it is no longer a right.  Clearly, it has been taken away.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Didba said:

I hope you learn to not force your beliefs onto others.

Yes I'll throw my law degree in uneducated, prejudicial (unless you support gay marriage, but I bet you don't) people's face like yourself every day of the week. 

and yeah I get emotional when my female family members could be raped or molested and be forced to have the child. Its ya know, something that bothers me quite a bit. I guess its not very important to you though.

I’m not forcing my beliefs on others.  Where do you get that?

So, are you more upset that your female family members can’t get an abortion if raped, or that they were raped in the first place?

The option still exist to travel to a liberal state to get an abortion, even up until birth.  Then you can concentrate on the rape.

• Facepalm 5

36 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

They have corrupted their scholarship (or even replaced it) with ideology.

50 years ago the federal *right to abortion* was an ideological decision made out of whole cloth,

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

For the last 50 years it has been a constitutional right. 

The court corrected that mistake today and allowed the states to dictated the right to abortion.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It also ignores that there are plenty of people in this country who oppose abortion and are not religious in any sense.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/religious-family/atheist/views-about-abortion/

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/religious-family/atheist/views-about-abortion/

About 11% of Atheists are against Abortion. yes, they exist, but they aren't statistically relevant when we're talking about nationwide attempts to make abortion illegal.

The Anti-Abortion movement in America is overwhelmingly a religious movement led by people who oppose Abortion based on religious and biblical grounds. 

53% of people who are absolutely certain of their belief in God oppose Abortion

32% of people who are fairly certain about their belief in God oppose Abortion

20% of people who are not very certain about their belief in God oppose Abortion

17% of people who are not sure if they believe in God oppose abortion.

11% of people who do not Believe in God at all oppose abortion

52% of people who oppose Abortion say they look to the Bible over philosophy, science, or reason for their opinions on what is right and wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The conservative side of the court has actually looked at the Constitution to make a ruling as opposed to creating legislation when the Left has the majority.  We need more of this, thank God for Trump.  It was the best thing he did.

You do know that Trump paid multiple women to have abortions.

• Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Every law on the books is a reflection of the values and beliefs of some that's being "forced" onto everyone to one degree or another.  This isn't just something religious people do, secular people do it as well.  So the question isn't whether some people's beliefs will be forced on others or not, it's whose will be and on whom.

I think you are pretending.  This was orchestrated by political professionals with intent of coalescing Christians more for their votes than for the cause itself.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So now that you’ve obtained the single biggest issue driving your voting decisions, was it worth it? All the votes for folks over the years that ultimately enabled Trumpism— is the payoff worth it?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If you go to the 3:40 mark of the video you will hear your President talk about passing legislation to make abortion that law of the land.  He said he can’t do this by EO, his favorite way of cram down.

Yeah you totally missed the point of my analogy to segregation but thay isn't surprising in the least.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Yeah you totally missed the point of my analogy to segregation but thay isn't surprising in the least.

I know you libs like to bring race into every conversation. I’ll ignore it every time.

• Haha 1