Men at LSU - game thread

AU64

I wasn’t watching when the majority of the turnovers occurred, I don’t really know what to say for that. These aren’t exactly high IQ passers on the team but that’s generally how Bruce recruited and his system in essence isn’t high IQ basketball, which makes it so hard to keep up with when it’s on. It’s just free flowing playing without thinking. 4 guys run while 1 high IQ floor general feeds them 

there’s a few obvious ways to remedy that situation but it’s going to take some program shifting and recalibrating the traits we’re looking for in guards

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talented size matters. LSU bigs aren't just big they are talented. We have no answer for that and haven't the whole season.  Every time Harper came out LSU went on a run. Waters has quick hands and only Harper is a quick enough and good enough ball handler against Waters.  McCormick got stripped multiple times.  I would have actually put DP in for Harper and give him a rest then used him to post up Waters turning Waters height into a defensive liability.  

The good news is we are starting to see the Purifoy we were expecting he is not quite there yet but he has improved dramatically recently. I think it is time for him to start over Samir with Dunbar as the first option off the bench.   If Dunbar can start hitting the boards also he will be a huge asset down the road.

We have lots of players who can shoot the three we have a couple who can drive and score and also some who can drive and pass to the open man. What we are missing is a player who can drive and stop and hit the mid range jumper and we are missing a down low presence who can score with fade away jump shot or a drop step and finish What we are missing the most though is somebody who consistently does the dirty work rebound, take charges, blocks out, pushes the other teams big out 2 or 3 feet.

We are missing our short Power forward from last year.

I said we'd lose to lsu because we can't guard good guards. Harper seemed like he was gassed.....all the running and pounding catches up. Happened to ourbig men too. Said I was worried about that too. DP proving he needs more minutes.....amazing when you play guys at their positions they played their lives. We're being exposed, we're not physical or tough....we need to value the ball

Like I said before the season started losing Mitchell was a bigger loss than some thought

40 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Coach sure does mention size alot for people to say he doesn't really value it......he does

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I said we'd lose to lsu because we can't guard good guards. Harper seemed like he was gassed.....all the running and pounding catches up. Happened to ourbig men too. Said I was worried about that too. DP proving he needs more minutes.....amazing when you play guys at their positions they played their lives. We're being exposed, we're not physical or tough....we need to value the ball

Like I said before the season started losing Mitchell was a bigger loss than some thought

This wasn’t lost on guard play though. It was lost on throwing the ball away and having rebounds in our hands just pop out and LSU get them and score. It was dumb, dare I say, mentally weak play by a team with no leadership and no grit. 

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

This wasn’t lost on guard play though. It was lost on throwing the ball away and having rebounds in our hands just pop out and LSU get them and score. It was dumb, dare I say, mentally weak play by a team with no leadership and no grit. 

It was the guard who had all the turnovers. It was a team thing as far as closing. I wrote when we played Xavier early this year about how we crumbled at halftime and it's good so now they can see and learn from it......bad thing is it doesn't seem like they have learned from it. I'm starting to question the coaching a little now too. 

Doughty needs to be benched.  He should be the last player in the rotation.  He'll be a decent starter in the SEC eventually, but he's not there yet.

I'd like to see Purifoy in the starting lineup.

I have no idea what's up with Wiley.

We had 30 missed shots and only 7 offensive rebounds.  It's not that we are outsized.  We don't even attempt offensive rebounds.  I know it is hard when you shoot so many 3s but we turn and run for the defensive end when the shot goes up.  I don't understand that philosophy. 

Just finished the game.  Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.  LSU players literally were reaching over our players and snatching the ball from us.  That is getting old and I wish we went for more bigs.  Brown definitely was fouled at the end.

Having said all of that, I did remind myself that Auburn is losing to really good teams, all on the road.  And remember, their out-of-high school talent is much better than our current roster.  Something to be proud of that we can hang with anyone and a good recuriting pitch that we have the ability to develop all players.  We are still trending up as a program.

Looking forward to the next game!

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

They had 22 offensive rebounds and you don't think we're outsized? 

Well we were also out-worked.....surrendered most rebounds with barely as struggle....what happens when you are just firing up quick 3 point shots from long range.. 

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well we were also out-worked.....surrendered most rebounds with barely as struggle....what happens when you are just firing up quick 3 point shots from long range.. 

That wouldn't have anything to do with THEM getting offensive rebounds though. I agree with the quick shots, I should say once we went up by 16. We should then work the clock. We were our own worst enemy with them coming back. Not running the clock and then turning the ball over. Also I know you guys don't want to hear it but big guys getting worked on all game the most they can do at the end is box out and let the guards help.....

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

facts don't support that.  3 turnovers (which we dont' want any, but that's not realistic for a point guard),  4 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal and 14 pts.   NONE of that is careless. If you expect perfection, I suggest stop watching sports.

WOULD YOU PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE *Chris Jericho voice* STFU ok? I am tired of you acting like you are God on here and talking down to others. I and others could easily take offense with stuff you say but I just choose to ignore it until now. EXCUSE ME!!! It just felt that way watching it in the first half. MY BAD MY PERCEPTION WAS OFF!!!! I AM NOT A PERFECT POSTER. If you expect perfection on here I suggest you stop message boarding. Have a horrible evening and rest of the weekend. Sincerely, Salty Auburn fan right now who is extremely pisssssssssssssed we lost this game.  And yah before anyone asks. I am mad bro!!!!!! *EDIT* OK I was still steaming from the game. SO I MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY of came in a little hot! lmao WOOOOOPS*

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Tell us how you really feel! :P

I never do!!! I am one to always mince words! lol

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Remember we still have our OKC game. There is still hope for today!

Just now, abw0004 said:

Remember we still have our OKC game. There is still hope for today!

WE? What is this WE crap?! lol. I am just a Brodie fan not a fan of OKC as a whole. I leave that to you.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well I'll tell you I agree with what you posted 3 turnovers in one half is too many and careless

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WE? What is this WE crap?! lol. I am just a Brodie fan not a fan of OKC as a whole. I leave that to you.

Let me rephrase: Remember Westbrook still has his OKC game. There is still hope for today!

Just now, cole256 said:

Well I'll tell you I agree with what you posted 3 turnovers in one half is too many and careless

hahaha it really did feel like more. We were absolutely horrid with Turnovers today and were sloppy AF. It really is amazing we only lost by 5 with having as many turnovers we did and not only that the amount of points they scored off those turnovers and they out rebounded us by double digits. MERCY. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

Let me rephrase: Remember Westbrook still has his OKC game. There is still hope for today!

HELL YAH HE DOES!!! That is more like it baby!!! WOOO!!! LETS GOOO!!! I have been taking L's all day today apparently hahahah.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahaha it really did feel like more. We were absolutely horrid with Turnovers today and were sloppy AF. It really is amazing we only lost by 5 with having as many turnovers we did and not only that the amount of points they scored off those turnovers and they out rebounded us by double digits. MERCY. 

He ended up with 5 that's too many. He had 7 assists and average of 2/1 is ok but you really want a 3/1 also hardly anybody else had any assists. We're not moving the ball around. We're making ourselves easy to guard

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He ended up with 5 that's too many. He had 7 assists and average of 2/1 is ok but you really want a 3/1 also hardly anybody else had any assists. We're not moving the ball around. We're making ourselves easy to guard

Well said. Clearly my eye test is off and needs some repair because it felt like a lot more. MUHHHHHHHHHH BAD. I completely agree. The easy to guard part is the biggest detriment to this team right now. SO SO true.

I'll agree that Auburn had some really lazy, needless turnovers, but the fact is, LSU just played good defense after Auburn's early 3 point shooting streak.

Somebody (I'm not going to look it up) commented a week or so ago that size is not really that big an issue. Well, yes it is. Talented size is a BIG issue. When Auburn encounters talented size, it is a problem that Auburn just has no answer for other than pump up more 3s and pray. (And no, Wiley is not an answer, even if he had healthy feet.)

I'm really not dissing the effort and desire of Auburn players. Other than occasional lapses in focus, they play hard and they really try to win every game.  I don't blame CBP either. He does the best he can with the guys he's got. I'm sure, if he could reel in talented size, he'd do it.

Best case scenario -- Auburn has 8 SEC games remaining. I think Auburn can maybe be really competitive in 6 of those games. If so, Auburn will be in the NCAA tourney and not a bottom seed. Go Tigers!

11 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'll agree that Auburn had some really lazy, needless turnovers, but the fact is, LSU just played good defense after Auburn's early 3 point shooting streak.

Somebody (I'm not going to look it up) commented a week or so ago that size is not really that big an issue. Well, yes it is. Talented size is a BIG issue. When Auburn encounters talented size, it is a problem that Auburn just has no answer for other than pump up more 3s and pray. (And no, Wiley is not an answer, even if he had healthy feet.)

I'm really not dissing the effort and desire of Auburn players. Other than occasional lapses in focus, they play hard and they really try to win every game.  I don't blame CBP either. He does the best he can with the guys he's got. I'm sure, if he could reel in talented size, he'd do it.

Best case scenario -- Auburn has 8 SEC games remaining. I think Auburn can maybe be really competitive in 6 of those games. If so, Auburn will be in the NCAA tourney and not a bottom seed. Go Tigers!

It is JUST SO SO hard to win on the road against quality teams. That is why beating teams like South Carolina is a must. We cannot let those games get away. Win the games we should and MAYBE eventually as the season goes on steal one on the road against a quality opponent. We are not ready yet.

Archived