Post LSU

theweegler

Got hosed by the refs no doubt, but let ourselves get in a terrible position to do so.

Too many turnovers, missed free throws and gave up way too many off rebounds/second shots.

Too many stretches of not taking care of the basketball. Had a very good LSU team beat on the road and let it get away  

Having said that, a couple of huge positives IMO. Shot the ball very well on the road early. DP had some significant contributions. 

The things costing us are correctable. We need Wiley healthy and DP is coming around I believe. This team is more than capable of 

putting it together, and I believe they will. Just need to be playing well at the end of the season  

1. Bench Doughty.  Demote him to the last player in the rotation.  He's not yet a starter in the SEC.

2. Promote Purifoy to the starting lineup.  Without a big boost from somewhere, I don't think we'll make the NCAA tournament.  And Purifoy is capable of providing a big boost.  But we won't know for sure unless he gets the chance.

3. Recruit size for the future, and try to hang on until it gets here.

47 minutes ago, theweegler said:

Got hosed by the refs no doubt, but let ourselves get in a terrible position to do so.

Too many turnovers, missed free throws and gave up way too many off rebounds/second shots.

Too many stretches of not taking care of the basketball. Had a very good LSU team beat on the road and let it get away  

Having said that, a couple of huge positives IMO. Shot the ball very well on the road early. DP had some significant contributions. 

The things costing us are correctable. We need Wiley healthy and DP is coming around I believe. This team is more than capable of 

putting it together, and I believe they will. Just need to be playing well at the end of the season  

We have been doing these same things all season, especially on the road.  If they are correctable, I sure wish we would get them corrected. 

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

1. Bench Doughty.  Demote him to the last player in the rotation.  He's not yet a starter in the SEC.

2. Promote Purifoy to the starting lineup.  Without a big boost from somewhere, I don't think we'll make the NCAA tournament.  And Purifoy is capable of providing a big boost.  But we won't know for sure unless he gets the chance.

The starting lineup has needed a switch up for games now, I just think Pearl is too stubborn to make it happen. Samir hasn’t shown up away from home all year 

I didn’t notice doughty having that bad of a game. Javon sure struggled, by far his worst game. But key to the game was we went cold and got killed on the boards in the second half. It does seem like Purifoy is coming around so that would be huge. Give LSU some credit. They played hard and didn’t give Brown an inch. I would have liked to see Harper try some more deep shots in the second half since since he couldn’t miss to start the game. 

This is a good team. They are not great but a solid good team. That’s just how it is this season

I just want to thank Coach Pearl for making me care about Auburn Basketball again!  Thank you Coach Pearl.  War Damn Eagle. Let's get back on track!

4 hours ago, penguin149 said:

Stubborn coaches.....why don't they listen to us????  We is smarter than any of dem dummies!!!!!!

This rationale is cool to use in this forum, but if you use it in the football one? Coaches have other reasons aside from what seems logical based on statistics and watching the game from a bird's eye view to not do something. I dont know what is Pearl's for allowing the Samir experiment to continue, but 

We are not big enough, physical enough, or strong enough to play with big boys in the middle. Rebounding killed us yesterday and in the past. We really miss Wiley in the middle and honestly we do not have anyone to replace him. How many times did we have three guys around the rim only to let one LSU guy get the rebound. Also I point out on a missed free throw, LSU guy beats three of our guys for the rebound.  Guys have got to get tougher. 

Was browsing the box score and was stunned by this item.

Second Chance points....Auburn 1     LSU  29 …..granted that could have been a typo but considering the disparity in offensive rebounds, probably not.

Nice to see Okeke with 14 rebounds

AMac was 3-7 from the 3s...but,  when he's shooting as many 3s as BB you end up with him playing 21 minutes and no offensive rebounds.I guess.  He spent a lot of the game playing away from the basket....maybe because of fouls...but only 2 RBs for the game.

And despite all that.....BB should have been at the line with a chance to tied the game at the end..

Things seen vs. LSU, not all of them new:

When we don't run enough plays that are designed to get Brown good 3 point shots, we don't win.

When we get out-hustled, we don't win.

Purifoy is slowly working himself back into being a positive on the court instead of a negative. Let's hope the improvement continues.

Turnovers and not driving to the basket.  Harper as good as he is has been a disappointment with teams that pressure the ball handler and with no real backup for him it's tough.  It's not always about scoring.  It's about taking care of the ball and running the offense.  

21 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Turnovers and not driving to the basket.  Harper as good as he is has been a disappointment with teams that pressure the ball handler and with no real backup for him it's tough.  It's not always about scoring.  It's about taking care of the ball and running the offense.  

The last time someone mentioned it, Harper's assist/turnover ratio was among the nation's best. What kind of weird goggles are you watching Auburn basketball games through?

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The last time someone mentioned it, Harper's assist/turnover ratio was among the nation's best. What kind of weird goggles are you watching Auburn basketball games through?

By my reckoning, 11th out of the top 40.

Samir will have a good game every now and then, but he seems to play too timid when away from Auburn Arena. We know what works at home. I wouldn't be at all against experiments some with DP in the starting lineup on the road. He always plays with energy and determination. 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:56 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

I was unable to watch this game, but a close loss on the road to a ranked team is not time to panic. We don't need a big boost to make the tourney, all we need to do is keep playing the way we have been (good at home and close on the road). For me I'd like more than last year and want the rebounding issue worked on the most. 

By the way, IMO the issue rebounding wasn't just due to Wiley's absence, we got almost ZERO production from the 3 spot. They had more fouls than points, and almost no rebounds. With an undersized frontline, we have to have more from Doughty and Dunbar on the boards and Brown on defense for that matter. 

Most teams only send 3 guys to the offensive glass, but LSU sent 4 much of the night. That requires our guards to do more than normal and they didn't step up. 

32 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

By the way, IMO the issue rebounding wasn't just due to Wiley's absence, we got almost ZERO production from the 3 spot. They had more fouls than points, and almost no rebounds. With an undersized frontline, we have to have more from Doughty and Dunbar on the boards and Brown on defense for that matter. 

Most teams only send 3 guys to the offensive glass, but LSU sent 4 much of the night. That requires our guards to do more than normal and they didn't step up. 

Their big guy Reed owned the inside it seemed.....JMO but AW was the only guy who could push back against him. Fouls or injured?  that was my question. ...I'm assuming maybe still injured....didn't see the fouls necessarily as the reason to pull him when we had no Plan B  at all. 

On 2/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, JwgreDeux said:

I was unable to watch this game, but a close loss on the road to a ranked team is not time to panic. We don't need a big boost to make the tourney, all we need to do is keep playing the way we have been (good at home and close on the road). For me I'd like more than last year and want the rebounding issue worked on the most. 

Care to rethink that after last night?

On 2/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, KolchakAU85 said:

Care to rethink that after last night?

Nope. 

Archived